Discussion topic: Switching from Sky + HD to Sky Q - internet downtime?

This message was authored by Birdseye+W This message was authored by: Birdseye+W

Switching from Sky + HD to Sky Q - internet downtime?

Good afternoon,

I'm due to be switching over from my current HD box to Q on Monday.

Could anyone advise roughly how long this takes? And will my internet have to be disconnected during this time?

I work from home so require an internet connection. Just trying to figure out if I need to book time off work or not.

Thanks in advance 😃

Best Answers
This message was authored by ftballman This message was authored by: ftballman Answer

Re: Switching from Sky + HD to Sky Q - internet downtime?

If it's just switching from HD to Q there shouldn't really be any internet impact. I wouldn't rule out the need for a reboot or two of the router though - especially if you are getting any mini boxes too.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by ftballman This message was authored by: ftballman Answer

If it's just switching from HD to Q there shouldn't really be any internet impact. I wouldn't rule out the need for a reboot or two of the router though - especially if you are getting any mini boxes too.

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Birdseye+W wrote:

Good afternoon,

I'm due to be switching over from my current HD box to Q on Monday.

Could anyone advise roughly how long this takes? And will my internet have to be disconnected during this time?

I work from home so require an internet connection. Just trying to figure out if I need to book time off work or not.

Thanks in advance 😃

If it's just Sky Q that's being installed then there will be no disruption to your internet connection at all. 

All the engineer needs to do is access your satellite dish, replace the LNB (the small block at the end of the arm) and re-attach the cables. The can use the existing cabling you already have in place (if it's still in good condition) but will replace them if necessary. 

They will then bring a Q box into your property, connect it to the cables from the dish and to your TV via HDMI and make sure that it is functioning. They will also connect it to your broadband but there will be no need for them to turn your router off so there will be no interruption to your service. 

The whole process can be done in less than half an hour. 

Birdseye+W
Topic Author
This message was authored by Birdseye+W This message was authored by: Birdseye+W

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it 😎

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

hi @Birdseye+W 

Alrthough your question has been answered and not directly relevant to your post & rather late in the process, I think you may still wish to read some notes I have made for people considering switching from SKY +/HD to SKY Q

SKY +/HD to SKY Q

which  might answer a few more questions you may get

Birdseye+W
Topic Author

Thank you 👍

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion