Discussion topic: Switching from SKY + / SKY HD to SKY Q - some points to note

This message was authored by Robert.C This message was authored by: Robert.C

Re: Switching from SKY + / SKY HD to SKY Q - some points to note

I've just made the order to upgrade from Sky+ to Sky Q.

On my order it states 'Sky Q 1TB UHD'.

I take this is the more up to date box ? ?

Does the 2TB just give extra storage capacity and nothing else, does it cost extra ??

nigea99
Topic Author
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Robert.C wrote:

I've just made the order to upgrade from Sky+ to Sky Q.

Does the 2TB just give extra storage capacity and nothing else, does it cost extra ??

hi @Robert.C 

Yes the 1TB UHD box is the latest box  & is the standard offering for new customers now.

There are only 2 variants of 1TB box- the  non UHD version  & this latest UHD/HDR box

The 2TB  version of the same box does indeed just have the extra storage otherwise it is the same. &,  yes, there is usually an extra charge for a 2TB version

(BTW with the 2TB UHD HDR boxes there is a slightly older vesion - which we refer to  here as V2 - & it is not guaranteed as to whether you would get a V2 2TB or a V3 2TB box) 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Robert.C wrote:

The 1TB UHD/HDR box has been the default since late 2019.

There may or may not be a version of this with a 2TB hard drive.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by nick1403 This message was authored by: nick1403

From the OP:

"For Communal Systems,  SKY may need to install an adapter to enable it to work with SKY Q (using a single cable in what is called dSCR mode)"

This can also be a pain. We moved into a new build with FTTH broadband and with Sky (and Freeview and DAB) from a communal dish via the fibre. At the time Sky enginineers wouldn't touch that and outsourced the installation of the adapter to a so-called ASHA who were worse than useless. Constantly had picture break-up and loss of signal on various channels but particularly the Sky Sports HD channels. Spoke to the man whose firm had installed the fibre network and he told me those networks were not really suitable for Sky Q and we should go back to Sky +. The adapters had been developed in a hurry and some weren't great. Sent someone round to look at my installation who changed a few cables and told me to reset the adapter and the switchblade (which takes the signal from the fibre and distributes it through coax around the house) if I have any problems. Worked 99% of the time for a couple of years but still hasn't gone away because now I have started getting the same thing on TNT Sports, which is annoying but a reset always seems to fix it and I have Discovery + as a back up.

Thanks for that.

Another question has just came to mind.

We currently have two Sky+ plus boxes and as such have ordered a mini box for the other room.

In terms of future recordings, does the mini box have it's own capacity for storing these or does it share with the main box. Both Sky+ boxes are pretty full with therefore sharing not really an option.

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

It shares but the drive is much bigger than a sky+ box and you're not keeping those recordings anyway*, and it's not intended as a personal library anyhow (in fact the copyright law exemption only officially allows for time-shifting not long term storage, and consequently some content expires these days)

the most annoying thing about it sharing is the lack of profiles so "continue" is always the same for all boxes and people.

* if you know what you're doing it is possible to transfer sky+ recordings to a PC though and it even allows archiving to a DVD or VHS recorder at normal playback speed. Not an experience I would want to go through.

Does that mean that when I go into the recordings on the main box I see all the recordings from the mini box and vice versa ??

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

There are no recordings on the mini box. It accesses those stored on the main box.

or streaming apps/catchup services of course.

Mmmm, I beginning to not like the sound of this.

My wife and I have totally different television choices hence we have two TV rooms and seperate Sky+ boxes.

I store mainly football and documentaries and my wife stores a lot reality and films etc therefore I don't fancy the idea of scrolling through all her recordings looking for mine, and vice versa of course.

If all the recordings are on the one box, does it allow the two of us to access the main and mini box at the same time and either search programmes or recordings without interfering with what each other is doing. If I go in would I see my wife scrolling through her lists ??

nigea99
Topic Author

@Robert.C wrote:

My wife and I have totally different television choices hence we have two TV rooms and seperate Sky+ boxes.

I store mainly football and documentaries and my wife stores a lot reality and films etc therefore I don't fancy the idea of scrolling through all her recordings looking for mine, and vice versa of course.

If all the recordings are on the one box, does it allow the two of us to access the main and mini box at the same time and either search programmes or recordings without interfering with what each other is doing. If I go in would I see my wife scrolling through her lists ??

From my main notes :

Sky Minis do not store the recordings on the mini box – all recordings are stored on the main box & there is no user profile system to separate recordings made from a mini from those made on the main box or by a different user.

Thus, anyone migrating from the old multiscreen with separate boxes may have issues that all the recordings are only stored on the main box and available to all (which can be an advantage)

So yes there is no differentiation between who made recordings or the type of recordings & they are listed  all intermingled

edit: Probably the only slight separator is that there in an option to sort by A-Z  (unfortunately not one for Sport specifically) 

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@Chodley wrote:

It shares but the drive is much bigger than a sky+ box 

Not if you have 2 x 1TB Sky+HD boxes and get a 1TB Sky Q box 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@Robert.C wrote:

@Robert.C No, you wouldn't see what each other is doing. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD

In terms of Sky+ HD boxes, we currently have 1 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB.

Order is for 1 x 1TB Sky Q box.

My wife has the Sky+ 1TB which is rammed full of recordings and always low on %.

Suppose I would be the same if mine was 1TB.

Is streaming meant to minimise the need to record ????

Are most programmes available to stream ?

nigea99
Topic Author

@Robert.C wrote:

In terms of Sky+ HD boxes, we currently have 1 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB.

Order is for 1 x 1TB Sky Q box.

My wife has the Sky+ 1TB which is rammed full of recordings and always low on %.

Suppose I would be the same if mine was 1TB.

Is streaming meant to minimise the need to record ????

Are most programmes available to stream ?

hi @Robert.C 

Clearly no matter which box you get you would be reducing capacity over what you have. 

I am a natural hoarder of programmes but I also have several UHD recordings that take up lots of space. 

I have far more recordings than I could watch  - I think you may need to review which recordings you do keep & perhaps get into a habit of deleting when watched  rather than allowing them to clog up space

As others have mentioned SKY recording is not indended as archival but more for time shifting. 

That said I know I do keep certain programmes - for instance I have a few days Golf that I attended in person as well as recording the coverage (these do take up a fair bit of space) 

You should, also,  always bear in mind that a hard disk could fail with total loss. 

SKY content on Q is like that on SKY HD that it doesn't stream content but does download from Catch up or On demand - but as mentioned above it is best to delete once watched  

P.S. I trust you have noted my comment in my initial  notes that you cannot transfer recordings from your old SKY HD boxes & you should also note you won't be able to watch them from there once you have been switched to Q

Yes I was biting the bullet with my old recordings but as mentioned earlier I'm now thinking of cancelling SKY Q due to the other points I made which is a backward step for me and no doubt for my wife (lol).

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion