Discussion topic: Switching from SKY + / SKY HD to SKY Q - some points to note

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Switching from SKY + / SKY HD to SKY Q - some points to note

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I am posting some general notes for people considering switching from SKY + or SKY HD to SKY Q

Like many, many users, I am glad I upgraded over 6 years ago now, but I think there are some points that existing SKY + / SKY HD users should note:

Installation  & Free Installation offers
When SKY do offer free (or cheap) installation for existing customers they don't always mention which SKY Q box may be included in that offer.

So make sure you get them to state exactly which box you are being offered as sometimes they are only offering the older 1TB non UHD box that can only support one active mini box & record a max of 3 channels in addition to not being UHD capable - you may be happy with such a box but if you want to upgrade to the latest UHD / HDR box at a later date it will cost extra.

Personally, nowadays, I would insist on getting a UHD/HDR box but I know many existing users may not be bothered

Alternatively,  ‘Free’ installation may depend on taking out some package options such as Multiscreen - so again fully check what your new subscription will be.

N.B. All SKY Q boxes are 'loaned' & must be returned when you stop subscribing  - even if you pay up front Admin / Installation fees 

Existing Recordings

Please be aware you cannot transfer recordings between boxes, although any bought content can be downloaded onto the new box and some programmes/films may be available to download from Catch Up or On demand

Dish/Cabling

If you own your dish then the engineer must be able to access it.

SKY Q uses a different LNB (the electronic bit on the dish) to SKY +/HD and this will be changed by the engineer - they will also replace the dish and cabling if they are not good enough - although often they are good enough (more so the cabling) and do not need replacing.

BTW SKY Q uses twin cables from the dish – so if you only have a single cable SKY will replace it

For Communal Systems,  SKY may need to install an adapter to enable it to work with SKY Q (using a single cable in what is called dSCR mode)

Note for Freesat Users: 

If you have a Freesat box or use a TV for Freesat you must make sure you tell SKY when arranging the switch so they know & agree to install what is called a Hybrid LNB that allows both SKY Q and Freesat to work

SKY Q versus Sky +/HD

SKY Q has quite a different interface to SKY +/HD and unfortunatley, some people cannot get on with it.

There are a few features not implemented on SKY Q - the regulars here will kill me for mentioning one of these - which is Reminders, others include Recording bookmarks & slow motion in recordings, mainly only the red button on the remote is used - I can't remember what the coloured buttons on SKY HD were but I know some people miss these 'shortcuts' - and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head)

You cannot set recordings manually or adjust the recording time on SKY Q - it records only what the TV Guide sets for the programme.

RF/Magic eye
SKY Q does not have any RF inputs/outputs to allow watching in another room

New Features on Q :

Bluetooth Voice Remote - One very useful feature on SKY Q is voice control

I find the bluetooth connection of the remote far superior & can be used over quite a distance  - my box is out of line of sight

The most recent SKY Q main boxes (but not the minis or the old 1TB non UHD box I mentioned ) support 4K/UHD & also Dolby Atmos surround sound  - the latest 1TB UHD box & V2, V3 2TB boxes also  support HDR (High Dynamic Range) 

BTW SKY uses a specific version of HDR (called HLG) that most modern UHD TVs now support - although be aware that some lower end TVs may appear too dark with this version of HDR

Apps:

There are now quite a few apps on SKY Q & many people like the convenience of the apps on SKY Q

Apps on SKY Q are a benefit for those who don't have Smart TVs etc. or just want the convenience of them being in on place but the apps on a smart TV are likely to be better as they are usually tailored to the TV & likely to give the benefits of Dolby Vision for UHD/HDR content

Personally I use the apps on my Smart TV or Firestick - it depends on what TV you have etc and how you watch .

Reverting Back:

Once you migrate to SKY Q - SKY do not allow reverting back to SKY +/HD except for a very few specific reasons (mainly technical).

Mutiroom on SKY HD / Multiscreen on Q

If you are considering Multiscreen then a few points:

There is, usually,  an up front, admin  charge for each mini although this is often free for the 1st mini.

Even though the 1st mini may not incur an admin charge one is not always sent by default so make sure you get this confirmed.

You can only use a maximum of 2 minis at the same time (only one if you have the non UHD box I mention) although you can have up to 4  on the account 

As mentioned above SKY Minis do not support 4K.

SKY Minis get their content from the Main Box and connect to it via wifi or ethernet – they do not connect directly to the Dish

Recordings

Sky Minis do not store the recordings on the mini box – all recordings are stored on the main box & there is no user profile system to separate recordings made from a mini from those made on the main box or by a different user.

Thus, anyone migrating from the old multiscreen with separate boxes may have issues that all the recordings are only stored on the main box and available to all (which can be an advantage)

Some people do get connectivity issues between the main box & minis, although most don't – members here & SKY Technical support can usually help to get these resolved

Finally 

As mentioned many of us are very happy with SKY Q - but I thought I should mention the above to help you make an informed decision

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: Switching from SKY + / SKY HD to SKY Q - some points to note

This advice is all the more relevant with the increased number of posts we're seeing from Sky+ customers having received letters from Sky about a free upgrade and helps them to make an informed decision. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
nigea99
Topic Author

@Daniel0210 wrote:

This advice is all the more relevant with the increased number of posts we're seeing from Sky+ customers having received letters from Sky about a free upgrade and helps them to make an informed decision. 

Yes , I thought I would tweak it  & make it slightly more easier to read due to  these letters being sent

Hopefully I didn't loose anything in the revamp

This message was authored by AM9 This message was authored by: AM9

Can you view you're recordings in a list format instead of thumbnails like the sky+ ?

nigea99
Topic Author

@AM9 wrote:

Can you view you're recordings in a list format instead of thumbnails like the sky+ ?

Hi @AM9 

Sorry but no,  nothing  like SKY +

The closest option is to view  Sort by - A-Z which lists titles - as it says by A-Z (rather than a defult thumbnail view by Most recent)  - but when you select a Title you are then presented with a thumbnail view for the individual programme / film , if just one,  or thumbnail menu listing the episodes when there are more episodes and /or series

THe UI is quite different and probably nowhere has the simplistic text,  space saving, views that SKY +/HD have. Although the list of scheduled recordings is a scrollable list

This message was authored by AM9 This message was authored by: AM9

Ok thank you for the reply much appreciated.

This message was authored by Bigred100 This message was authored by: Bigred100

are the subcriptions increased on sky q when you upgrade from sky +?

nigea99
Topic Author

@Bigred100 wrote:

Hi @Bigred100 

Not generally and sometimes, if not many, subscriptions can be cheaper or may remain the same.

It all depends on whether the same packages are available and what offers are available when switching.. 

These are all personal so yould need to discuss when arranging a switch

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Bigred100 wrote:

It's obviously in the commercial interest of Sky to attempt to 'upsell' the subscription bundle as part of the move.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

any idea of the increase?

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Bigred100 wrote:

any idea of the increase?

@Bigred100 

Already answered in post 8 above. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

thanks for all your help and advice but i,m still undecided at this time

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@Bigred100 wrote:

thanks for all your help and advice but i,m still undecided at this time

That's no skin off nigea's nose (haven't had an excuse to write that phrase before in 30 years of using the internet 😁).

He, like most of us on here, doesn't work for Sky.

This message was authored by G81LLS This message was authored by: G81LLS

Has anyone manage to get the upgrade link in the letter to work, I keep getting a "bad request" error. It's the upgrade online hyperlink at the bottom of the page at sky.com/BBC/upgrade

1000005305.png

1000005306.png

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

For the Bad Request error try clearing the browser cache and cookies then close it down before trying again.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion