Slightly stuttering picture when using Sky App for streaming Netflix

Runner
Post 1 of 25

Slightly stuttering picture when using Sky App for streaming Netflix

When not using Sky App, picture is perfect on both HD and UHD. My account is still with Netflix.

Any help would be appreciated.

All Replies
Sound Supervisor
Post 2 of 25

Re: Slightly stuttering picture when using Sky App for streaming Netflix

Have a look further down the main topics. There are a number of threads regarding judder and stuttering. Basically SkyQ can't do native 24fps and the result of the conversion to 60fps is visible stutter.
SkyQ 2TB + 2 Minis, Sky Fibre Unlimited, Samsung 65KS8000, Denon AVR-X4400h, Bowers and Wilkins Speakers in 7.4.2 configuration for atmos.
Runner
Post 3 of 25

@Logic+Lee wrote:
Have a look further down the main topics. There are a number of threads regarding judder and stuttering. Basically SkyQ can't do native 24fps and the result of the conversion to 60fps is visible stutter.

Thanks for reply.

In the meantime I switched on the judder reduction option in Sky Q and there was very little, if any, improvement. Most disappointing, as  the Netflix App in Sky Q is a good idea. I shall definitely go back to streaming Netflix through my TV app.

Executive Producer
Post 4 of 25

A LOT of Netflix content is actually 24fps, so will judder even at 60hz with Judder Reduction turned ON. I use my TVs iPad app to check the frame rate of Netflix content, and nearly everything I watch is 24fps.

E54AA606-5D8E-4942-803B-83BEDE7F2F8D.jpeg

Runner
Post 5 of 25

@tarbat wrote:

A LOT of Netflix content is actually 24fps, so will judder even at 60hz with Judder Reduction turned ON. I use my TVs iPad app to check the frame rate of Netflix content, and nearly everything I watch is 24fps.

I am amazed that Sky have released their Netflix App which is clearly not fit for purpose. Fortunately I am not a new Netflix subscriber paying Sky £10.00 per month for a juddering screen. Meanwhile I shall continue to pay Netflix directly and enjoy superb quality UHD and HDR through my TV app.

I am very happy with the rest of my Sky package but it is most irritating paying over £1000 a year for a service which is imperfect at this moment of time.

Executive Producer
Post 6 of 25

@gt4031414 The last two paragraphs you’ve attributed to my quote are not my words Smiley Sad

Runner
Post 7 of 25

Apologies, they are my words! Have not got the hang of this software yet..

Oracle
Post 8 of 25

@gt4031414

You can choose to subscribe to Netflix via Sky to get the discount and still opt to view Netflix only through your TV app. There's no requirement to use Netflix via Q hardware.

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet), BT ADSL (14Mbs), BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (Android 4.4 KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Android 7.1.2 Nougat), LG 49UJ701V with Yamaha RX-V375, Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
Sound Designer
Post 9 of 25

Not all TVs display Netlix 24Hz content at the correct refresh rate so they also judder. Pansonic for example.

Sound Designer
Post 10 of 25

@BJQ1972 wrote:

Not all TVs display Netlix 24Hz content at the correct refresh rate so they also judder. Pansonic for example.

My 5 year old Samsung TV has 24Hz but the Netflix app on the Smart setup does not work and no way of updating it.

According to the help system on Netflix it is only supported on 2017/2018 4K Samsung models. The same happened with Amazon Prime a year or 2 ago.

It just seems to me that if your Samsung TV is more than 2 years old then their Smart systems is absolutely useless.

Camera Assistant
Post 11 of 25

@tarbat wrote:

What app is that? Is there an equivalent for my TV? (2016 LG OLED)

---------------------------------------
Sky Q from October 2018, 2TB Box (connected via ethernet), Entertainment, Cinema, HD, Box Sets, Talk Talk Faster Fibre Speed Boost (55mbps), LG OLED55E6V, iPhone XS Max, iPad Pro
Oracle
Post 12 of 25

@gt4031414 wrote:

@tarbat wrote:

I am amazed that Sky have released their Netflix App which is clearly not fit for purpose. Fortunately I am not a new Netflix subscriber paying Sky £10.00 per month for a juddering screen. Meanwhile I shall continue to pay Netflix directly and enjoy superb quality UHD and HDR through my TV app.

I am very happy with the rest of my Sky package but it is most irritating paying over £1000 a year for a service which is imperfect at this moment of time.

I don't get judder on my tv using the Sky Q Netflix app, it works as expected for me. So you statement that it is not fit for purpose is not true. 

Executive Producer
Post 13 of 25

@mancsmark wrote:
What app is that? Is there an equivalent for my TV? (2016 LG OLED)

It’s an app specific to Panasonic TVs, that I use with my FZ952 OLED. It lets you calibrate via an app.

Sorry, I don’t know if LG provide an equivalent app.

Camera Assistant
Post 14 of 25

There is no way to fully eliminate judder on Sky. Judder reduction switched on will make 50Hz content judder. Judder reduction switched off will make 60Hz content judder. EIther option will make 24fps judder.

As Sky are a major shareholder in Roku maybe they could have a look at how Roku automatically switches between 24/50/60 to get the right refresh rate for each programme.

Sound Designer
Post 15 of 25

I am in total agreement with most of the comments made here. I have an older Samsung TV. Top of the range when it came out. 😬. But like iPads they get old and can no longer be updated. The app still works. However for me the best result for Netflix and Amazon Prime is using my PS3. I will say the judder control on the Sky Q box is excellent. But stil lleaves a slight “jud”. Means TV is fine but not movies.  The combined package seems interesting but I don’t have a UHD TV or a reason to screen NetFlix to 4 devices at the same time. I suppose I will need to wait for a TV that will screen native 24fps as well as UK 60hz. And my current package has box sets and UHD. As did all original Q packages, as I remember. Just waiting for BT to finish upgrading local exchange and then I can look as super fast internet. Or shall I say can start the negotiations. Especially as Sky was the only option for so long. I will say though. Amazon Prime TV stuff is getting better and better. Still nowhere near as good as Netflix though. 

Recommended Threads