Discussion topic: SkyQ drops wired network connection every time I try to download.

This message was authored by Monarch+of+Glen This message was authored by: Monarch+of+Glen

SkyQ drops wired network connection every time I try to download.

Hi All,

Our SkyQ box drops our wired network connection every time we try to download anything.  We've been through the reset procedure and turned off Wi-Fi in the hidden menu but it just keeps happening.  We can stream via the SkyQ box apps with no problem at all.  It only happens when we select a programme to download from Sky.  The downloads will start okay, but after a few minutes they'll fail and we get a network connecton error message (It looks like you're not connected etc....)

The only way to fix it when this happens is to cold reboot the SkyQ box.  Restetting the network adapter doesn't work.  It just repeatedly fails.   All of our other devices are completely unaffected.  We've tried 2 different routers and 2 different ISPs.  We've also got the SkyQ box connected directly to a LAN port on the router with an ethernet cable and nothing else connected to that LAN port.  And we've tried each LAN port on the router and the same fault happens irrespective of which the SkyQ box is connected to.

It's as if Sky have programmed the firmware to dleiberately disconnect from the home network every time the user attempts a download.

Help!

Peter K.

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: SkyQ drops wired network connection every time I try to download.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Monarch+of+Glen wrote:

Hi All,

Our SkyQ box drops our wired network connection every time we try to download anything.  We've been through the reset procedure and turned off Wi-Fi in the hidden menu but it just keeps happening.  We can stream via the SkyQ box apps with no problem at all.  It only happens when we select a programme to download from Sky.  The downloads will start okay, but after a few minutes they'll fail and we get a network connecton error message (It looks like you're not connected etc....)

The only way to fix it when this happens is to cold reboot the SkyQ box.  Restetting the network adapter doesn't work.  It just repeatedly fails.   All of our other devices are completely unaffected.  We've tried 2 different routers and 2 different ISPs.  We've also got the SkyQ box connected directly to a LAN port on the router with an ethernet cable and nothing else connected to that LAN port.  And we've tried each LAN port on the router and the same fault happens irrespective of which the SkyQ box is connected to.

It's as if Sky have programmed the firmware to dleiberately disconnect from the home network every time the user attempts a download.

Help!

Peter K.

Hi @Monarch+of+Glen 

Just to confirm you are carrying out the following procedure.
When all boxes are connected by Ethernet you can then switch off all Q box WiFi.
On main Q box first carry out a Network reset with the Ethernet connected.
Network Reset found in Q box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Select connect wired to non Sky Router (or Sky router if on Sky Broadband). Do not carry out any WPS and just wait for the box to connect. It may take a couple of minutes. If it does not connect there is an issue with the Ethernet connection.
As soon as it connects go into the Q box hidden menu and turn off WiFi.

To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.
Go to Network to turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

Repeat the network reset on any minis in the Mini Home menu with the Ethernet connected. Again do not do any WPS and just wait for it to connect.
Once it is connected go into the mini hidden menu (same procedure as above) and turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

Monarch+of+Glen
Topic Author
This message was authored by Monarch+of+Glen This message was authored by: Monarch+of+Glen

Re: SkyQ drops wired network connection every time I try to download.

Hello Oldfella,

Thanks for that.  Yes, I've been through it all.  And I've tried manually entering the Network settings and even specifying different DNS servers (8,8,8,8 and 1,1,1,1 for instance).  The Sky Q box always establishes a connection to our netowrk and it's a comepletely stable network connection until I try to download something from Sky. 

The network connection remains stable when streaming using apps such as Discovery+ or Prime Video.  But If I search for something on the Sky Q box, such as, say, The Blacklist, I can select the episode(s) I want to download  and downloading will start and run for, perhaps, 10 minutes or so, but then the download will fail and the Sky Q box will tell me I have no network connection.  The only way to get the network connection back is to power off at the wall and cold reboot the Sky Q box.  When I do that, by the time the menu has populated the network connection has been restored and will remain rock solid until the next time I try to download.

It's iutterly frustrating.

Peter K.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion