Discussion topic: SkyQ and Sonos interfering with each other

This message was authored by woodchal This message was authored by: woodchal

SkyQ and Sonos interfering with each other

I had a SkyQ box/mini installed 5 days ago and have experienced several problems with interaction with the Sonos system.

The issue

I have Sonos App on the IMac which sees the whole Sonos system (this took a reinstall of Sonos to get working)

I have Sonos App on IPad (IOS 12.5.1) and on Iphone (IOS 14.3).  Both of these will connect and see the whole Sonos system if I am in the vicinity of the co-located Modem/router/Wifi Hub and cabled Play1 and also if I am close to the Wifi Play 1 which is not close to either Sky box.

However, if I am in the same room as the Sonos 5 (close to Sky mini box) or TV Beam (close to the SkyQ box) then the Sonos App will not connect to the Sonos system.  If I, then move to vicinity of the Modem/router/Wifi Hub it magically finds the Sonos system and connects.

There is clearly a problem with interaction between Sky mesh and Sonos.  The minor irritation is that in order to pair/change inputs/control speakers in rooms from the IOS App I have to walk to another part of the house.

The more major concern is that the Internet maybe (or become) flaky and will produce other conflicts in the future, hence why I want to understand this issue.  There is some anecdotal feedback from family members working from home that they have dropped out of on-line meeting systems since the SkyQ install

The Internet and Sonos predated the installation of Sky Q and had been very stable and reliable.  It is the introduction of SkyQ that has caused the issue

Internet - 

Broadband Provider: Sky 

Modem/router/Wifi Hub: Model SR203

Network 

There is a Cat5 cable serving parts of the house and also the Sky Modem/Router acts as the primary Wifi hub.  It is using channel 11.

There are two switches in the Cat5 cabled network.

My understanding is that SkyQ and Sky mini boxes provide some king of “internet mesh”, so for information

The SkyQ box is physically connected to the network by Ethernet.  I have never installed it on the Wifi (ie I have never given it the Wifi password - it was installed from scratch in its current configuration)

Sky mini box is Wifi, no cable connected - again no Wifi password given, so it is only talking to the SkyQ box.

SkyQ box and Sky mini box are currently 3m apart (through a brick wall)

Sonos - I have tried various permutations, but the current set up is

Play 1 on Ethernet - providing Sonosnet (positioned near Modem/router/Wifi Hub, but actually connected to a netgear switch, rather than the Modem/router/Wifi Hub

The second Play 1 is on Wifi

Sonos 5 on Wifi - positioned 2m from Sky mini box

TV Beam on Wifi - positioned close to SkyQ box

I have moved Sonos to channel 1 and the Sonos devices say WM0 (so using Sonosnet)

This is what I have done

I have limited what I have done to avoid creating issues for my homeworking family.

I have powered down all Sonos devices, rebooted Modem/Router Hub and reconnected the Sonos devices (Ethernet connect Play 1 first).

My Thoughts

I have seen suggestions that you should avoid mixing networks by keep the Sky Mesh, SonosNet and cable connected devices separate

I have moved Sonos system to Sonosnet - it had been purely Wifi before.

I had wanted to keep Sky Q on Ethernet for speed of downloads and Sky mini box on Wifi for the ability to move to several locations/TVs in the house.  I could try moving SkyQ box to a Wifi connection.

Before I do this are there any other thoughts as to what might be going on?

Best Answers
This message was authored by Mad+Sweeney This message was authored by: Mad+Sweeney Answer

Re: SkyQ and Sonos interfering with each other

I've proven some of the stuff I suspected was happening here actually is - tl;dr -

• Scenario is quite obscure - depends on topology.
  • Sonos can drop data but Sky Q is passing data that standards would dictate that Sonos should drop.
  • Other 100Mbps equipment like Sonos might do the same thing.
  • Have not tested what happens if Sonos is made to bridge traffic between Sky Q boxes wirelessy. This might happen by accident in a mesh.

-- more detail --

It is a reasonably obscure scenario to get into either by wriring up a particular topology in your home, or perhaps if certain links are made to be up or down in the overall mesh of the two systems.

The problem occurs if a piece of Sonos equipment (perhaps any 100Mbps equipment) is used as a bridge to forward ethernet frames that use Sky's tunnelling protocol and that these frames are too big for Sonos to forward.  What is in these frames un-tunnelled can ironicaly be the Sonos traffic that could have previously passed through that Sonos device before in the opposite direction.  My broken topology did put this constraint on a Sonos device (a Playbar in this case).

LapSetup.png

So the Sonos is at fault? No.

In this case the Sky Main box is sending a frame to the Sky Hub (I think the laptop up there moved onto the Hub's Wifi AP different from my pictre above) that has a size of 1528.

TooBigForFastEthernet.png

This was gotten from Wireshark monitoring a mirrored switch port and setting the network interface in Mac OS to allow jumbo frames.  Otherwise my computer itself would sillently have dropped these frames and I could not have shown them here 😃. Also to show the tunnelling you must add this configuration to Wireshark.

decode_as_entry: ethertype,29812,(none),Ethernet
decode_as_entry: ethertype,29920,(none),Ethernet

The maximum size that should appear to be more compliant is 1514.  That is the MTU of 1500 and the 14 bytes that make up 2 x 6 byte MAC addresses and the 2 byte protocol.

So the Sky tunneling protocol is broken as it can not tunnel through devices that limit their frame size in a more standard way, and may be limited from allowing anything more by their hardware too.

If the inner frame were 14 bytes or more smaller then it would make it through, so pings and smaller TCP streams will make it through.

A a fix in this lab test like topology would be for the MTU as seen by the OS inside Sonos to be lowered by 14 bytes.  This would make the tunnelled Sky Q frames smaller because the original Sonos frames before tunnelling would be smaller.  It would only help Sonos traffic and not other traffic that got tunnelled.  It would be a silly thing for Sonos to do really anyway.

What Sky will have done with their protocol is have been sneaky and tried to take advantage of the fact that newer equipment supports larger ethernet frame sizes in order to  support things linke 802.1ax which gives an extra 22 bytes to play with, though these are supposed to be in the headers and not in the protocol data unit. 

@woodchal  Are your old switches that were/are sitting between Sky equipment only 100Mbps by any chance?  If they are then swap them for Gigabit ones.

View this Answer within the discussion

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by Piesarus This message was authored by: Piesarus

@woodchal I have to say I've not seen this behaviour from my Sonos setup at all. I do not use Sonosnet but rely on my BT Wholehome mesh which handles all our WiFi needs brilliantly. I suspect your router is at the limit of what it's able to handle. The Sky routers don't have the best of reputations with regards to WiFi. A check of your devices -dBn values might reveal if this is the issue. Anything above -60 is not good. Between -30 and -50 then great.

woodchal
Topic Author

Can not answer the numeric question atm (how do you check).  All I can say that before SkyQ WiFi connectivity was good throughout the house.

@woodchal  to measure dBm values you need to download something like WiFi Analyser which is free. 

This message was authored by Rhonny This message was authored by: Rhonny

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@woodchal

Your Sonos is set up as it should be, on SonosNet. This keeps it off the wifi network. You have one Sonos connected by ethernet, so that is the point at which it is joined to your network.

All your Sonos app needs to do to speak to the speakers is to be connected to the same network that your Sonos is joined to by the ethernet. When you're at your router, it talks to the network fine. But when you're near your Play 5 or Beam, the phone with your Sonos app can no longer speak to your network.

When you're near your Sonos 5, which wifi access point is your phone connected to?

And likewise when you're near your Beam, which wifi access point is your phone using?

It seems that for some reason, those access points are not allowing your phone to speak to the network in the same way it does when the router is your access point. 

woodchal
Topic Author

@Rhonny 

Indeed I have shown that when the App doesn’t see the Sonos system the iPhone is connected to either of the two Sky boxes (mainly Sky).  

For clarity when the App does see the Sonos system and works the iPhone is connected to the main Sky modem/router/hub.

woodchal
Topic Author

@Piesarus 

I have used Net Analyser but get see that information 

woodchal
Topic Author

Mis-typed should have been (mainly SkyQ)

@woodchal  Not one I have used but I know that using the one I mentioned on a Laptop does provide dBm values.

woodchal
Topic Author

@Piesarus 

Just googled and see that I can use the Airport Utility App on the Iphone

woodchal
Topic Author

@Rhonny 

"It seems that for some reason, those access points are not allowing your phone to speak to the network in the same way it does when the router is your access point. "

Exactly 

Sonos community want to blame Sky, around SSDP issues.  

I have seen issues on these forums where SSDP issues cause interference and excessive Wifi slow down once SkyQ installed - fortunatly (fingers crossed) this isn't my problem, but I am obviously concerned that there might be an issue like this waiting to bite me if I don't understand the root cause.

The Iphone is on the network, the Sonos system is on the network - I can see both from the sky modem/router/hub.  I can use the App from devices connected to the router/hub (IMac is cabled, Iphone wifi).  So there is a problem with some kind of "handshake".  

I don't know enough to understand if this is something Sky is not passing to the App or if it is something the App is not reading from the Sky broadcast - or put another way is it Skys fault or Sonos's fault!

This message was authored by Dunshavin This message was authored by: Dunshavin

I have exactly the same issue as the OP. Depending on which access point my devices connect to will depend whether I can see them or not. Currently my Sonos Move is playing Radio 5 Live across WiFi. However, if I open my Sonos app on my iPhone I cannot see the Move. My app is on the same WiFi network (name) but probably not the same access point. I expect my Sonos Move is connected to the Sky Q box's WiFi access point, and my phone is connected to my main Sky Q router. I could probably move my Move nearer to the router, flick to Bluetooth, then back to WiFi to make it search again, and the Move would probably be visible to my phone It's all very annoying, and means my Sonos app is often pointless, forcing me to resort to Bluetooth. I have no idea if it's Sonos or Sky Q to blame but I wish one of them would sort it out. 

This message was authored by Sam333 This message was authored by: Sam333

Has anyone found a solution to this? I have the same problem. Right next to my router the app on my iPhone can't see the Sonos system, in living room near my Sky Q it picks up all the speakers. The sound bar is connected by Ethernet cable and everything else is on the wireless network. I've tried everything. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

This message was authored by ChrisWil58 This message was authored by: ChrisWil58

If you have 2 wifi bands in your house, you will only see the one which your Sonos kit is connected to. So if you are on, say, BT and have their wifi, and Sonos is on that, then when you connect to the BT wifi then all is well. If however, you connect to the Sky wifi, the Sonos kit is not seen by the Sky wifi hence you can't control your Sonos kit.

If you connect a single Sonos box (or Boost) back to the router via an ethernet cable, then Sonos will operate on its own SonosNet mesh wifi.  As it's connected to the router, the common node for your wifi, all wifi networks should see it. 

This message was authored by Sam333 This message was authored by: Sam333

Thanks for your reply. Do you mean connect it to the router via an ethernet cable and then leave it connected to it via the ethernet cable? 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion