Discussion topic: Sky q minis with non sky bb provider?

This message was authored by gd25 This message was authored by: gd25

Sky q minis with non sky bb provider?

Which full fibre provider works best with sky q mini boxes or are they all problematic? 

im prepared to run hard wired Ethernet from router to main sky box, then use powerlines from main box to mini boxes, would this set up work??

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Sky q minis with non sky bb provider?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@gd25 wrote:

Which full fibre provider works best with sky q mini boxes or are they all problematic? 

I'm not aware of widespread issues with any of them.

im prepared to run hard wired Ethernet from router to main sky box, then use powerlines from main box to mini boxes, would this set up work??

Powerline from router to main Q box and  Mini boxes would be more appropriate.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
gd25
Topic Author

Ok is that the best way to do it? Problem is I have 4 mini boxes so there's gonna be a cable jam at the router.

Is running the minis on non sky wifi a no no?

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@gd25 wrote:

Ok is that the best way to do it? Problem is I have 4 mini boxes so there's gonna be a cable jam at the router.

Is running the minis on non sky wifi a no no?

Hi @gd25 

The difference with 3rd party Broadband is that if using WiFi the minis can only connect to the main Q box WiFi (or Q WiFi Boosters or another connected mini).  They cannot connect to 3rd party WiFi 

gd25
Topic Author

Ok, so how would connecting the minis to the 3rd party router hub improve things? And would it be a bulletproof solution?

Be gentle I'm just a daft gas engineer not a broadband expert..!!

@gd25 wrote:

Ok, so how would connecting the minis to the 3rd party router hub improve things? And would it be a bulletproof solution?

Be gentle I'm just a daft gas engineer not a broadband expert..!!

Hi @gd25 

If All boxes (including the main box) are connected to the 3rd party router by Ethernet then all Q box WiFi can be turned off.  The connection can be done directly or through simple unmanaged Ethernet switches.  This should give bulletproof connectivity.

Powerline units (one unit at the router or connected to an Ethernet switch which is connected to the router by Ethernet) and one unit at each Q box not on full Ethernet) is an alternative connection but cannot be guaranteed.  Powerline depends heavily on the condition and complexity of your mains wiring.

For example I have three minis here.

On BT broadband with main Q box and one mini on full Ethernet with two minis on Devolo Powerline.  I also have further Devolo units cloning and broadcasting the BT WiFi.   All Q box WiFi is off.

gd25
Topic Author

Some marvellous info there my friend many thanks indeed..

Given that I'd also want to run Ethernet to at least one x box console as well, is it acceptable to run 6 cables from

a router using Ethernet switches...a lot of cable runs I know but believe me it would be worth it given the absolute constant abuse I get from wife and children about Wi-Fi and connectivity issues..!

@gd25 wrote:

Some marvellous info there my friend many thanks indeed..

Given that I'd also want to run Ethernet to at least one x box console as well, is it acceptable to run 6 cables from

a router using Ethernet switches...a lot of cable runs I know but believe me it would be worth it given the absolute constant abuse I get from wife and children about Wi-Fi and connectivity issues..!

Hi @gd25 

Here I am using two simple 5 port switches.

NETGEAR 5 Port Gigabit Network Switch (GS305)

Switches can be located at any device provided Ethernet is ultimately connected to router.  Of course you can also connect devices direct to the Router ports.

If any Q box or device is more convenient to run cables from then you can place a switch there.  Provided there is an Ethernet direct or through a switch to the router options are available.

When all boxes are connected by Ethernet you can then switch off all Q box WiFi.

Start with main Q box and first carry out a Network reset with the Ethernet connected.
Network Reset found in Q box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Select connect wired to non Sky Router. Do not carry out any WPS and just wait for the box to connect. It may take a couple of minutes. If it does not connect there is an issue with the Ethernet connection.
Immediately it connects go into the Q box hidden menu and turn off WiFi.

To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.
Go to Network to turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

Repeat the network reset on any minis in the Mini Home menu with the Ethernet connected. Again do not do any WPS and just wait for it to connect.
Once it is connected go immediately into the mini hidden menu (same procedure as above) and turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

gd25
Topic Author

More excellent information...

So I don't need a whole bunch of cables sprouting from the back of the hub. From my understanding I can run an Ethernet up into my loft and place another 5 port switch there to feed mini boxes etc in the bedrooms?

Also, I'm leaning towards Vodafone full fibre pro 2 500 as I like the look of the hardware etc and they're a decent price. Do you have any knowledgeable on Vodafone's offerings?

@gd25 wrote:

More excellent information...

So I don't need a whole bunch of cables sprouting from the back of the hub. From my understanding I can run an Ethernet up into my loft and place another 5 port switch there to feed mini boxes etc in the bedrooms?

Yes that's fine

Also, I'm leaning towards Vodafone full fibre pro 2 500 as I like the look of the hardware etc and they're a decent price. Do you have any knowledgeable on Vodafone's offerings?

Afraid not

This message was authored by Ecosse This message was authored by: Ecosse

@gd25 I'm on BT Full Fibre 900 here.  Since day dot, I've had my main Q box, and the 3 minis upstairs always connected via Wi-Fi.

My BT router is in a cupboard under the stairs behind a door,  I live in a 3-storey townhouse and my top bedroom easily "sees" the main Q box for connecting back the mini via the Sky mesh system.

As long as there's decent signal coming from your router and the farthest away mini can connect to the main Q box, you can go wireless.

====================================================
Samsung UE49MU7070XX - Samsung MS550 Soundbar+ with 9000S Rears
Sky Q 2Tb + 3 Minis - BT Full Fibre 900

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion