Discussion topic: Sky q box won’t connect to broadband

This message was authored by John931 This message was authored by: John931

Sky q box won’t connect to broadband

My sky a box won't connect to the Wi-Fi but all my other devices will I've tried resetting the box and broadband tried to connect manually and via the WPS button but connection always fails please help it's been like it for days now and I'm paying for the services I can't use 

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: Sky q box won’t connect to broadband

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@John931 wrote:

My sky a box won't connect to the Wi-Fi but all my other devices will I've tried resetting the box and broadband tried to connect manually and via the WPS button but connection always fails please help it's been like it for days now and I'm paying for the services I can't use 

Hi @John931 

Are you carrying out Network reset exactly as follows.

Network Reset found in Q box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Follow instructions to connect by WiFi to your router.
If you are on Sky broadband you will be asked to press the WPS button on the Sky router. (Not on the Q box as the Network reset will start the main Q box WPS automatically). Make sure you press the WPS button on the Sky router and not the reset button.
if you are on 3rd party (non Sky ) broadband then you cannot use WPS and you need to enter the SSID and password for the router 2.4 Ghz WiFi band.

This message was authored by Gerry1718 This message was authored by: Gerry1718

I have similar issue with SkyQ and connection to Three Broadband. Did you find a solution?

This message was authored by Invisiblename This message was authored by: Invisiblename

@Gerry1718 wrote:

I have similar issue with SkyQ and connection to Three Broadband. Did you find a solution?

Have you tried the suggestions in the post above yours?

I am just another Sky customer!
This message was authored by Gerry1718 This message was authored by: Gerry1718

Yes, gone through everything from resetting router to reset SkyQ.

This message was authored by Invisiblename This message was authored by: Invisiblename

@Gerry1718 wrote:

Yes, gone through everything from resetting router to reset SkyQ.

Including ensuring you're using the 2.4GHz band?

I am just another Sky customer!
This message was authored by Lucyh1 This message was authored by: Lucyh1

Did anyone find an answer to this? I'm on day 3 of this! 

wifi connected to all devices like phone and upstairs tele etc, and sky box can connect to my phones hotspot - but everytime I reset it says unsuccessful connection. 

I have turned off both over night and tried this about 8 times over the last few days but it never works. 

Any ideas? Can I manually reconnect without WPS button and input the password etc? 

This message was authored by idol+the+bear This message was authored by: idol+the+bear

If you have Sky Broadband press the reset button on the back of the router (near the bottom) and wait for all the lights on the router to come back on Green. Then go back to the main Sky Q Box and search again for networks and your network should now show to connect to.

This message was authored by DDarlington This message was authored by: DDarlington

Im having same issues. Main sky box ok but both Q boxes show unable to connect.  After rebooting so many times. Why?

This message was authored by Abealey This message was authored by: Abealey

Having had no connection problems previously, I am also now having this problem. Have tried the Connect to Sky Broadband Wi-Fi process, pressing WPS on the Sky router, but it just says unsuccessful connection. Why is this happening now?

This message was authored by idol+the+bear This message was authored by: idol+the+bear

Follow the process in post 8 above.

This message was authored by Nigel19 This message was authored by: Nigel19

I have the same. Telling us to go through reset network over and over again is not helpful as this does not work. 

Both my main box and the other q box will not connect to the internet. Every other device on the house does. 

This message was authored by Nigel19 This message was authored by: Nigel19

We have exactly the same. The Sky boxes are thd only devices in the house that refuse to connect to the internet. Yes, I've done the reset routine, bo, it doesn't work. So we just go round and round in circles, paying for a service we dont have. 

This message was authored by howz10 This message was authored by: howz10

We've just had the same problem in our house, resetting everything and the main Q box not connecting to our sky broadband router. 

I have just found a solution however.

reset both the Q box and the Sky broadband. When it's ready, click the WPS button on the router til it turns Amber and flashes. Then, go through the screens outlined above and activate the search for a sky broadband connection on the Q box which will set the Q box light Amber and flashing. When I did things this way round, activating the WPS on the router first, it connected after getting nowhere.

hope this helps everyone.

This message was authored by Hammersmiff This message was authored by: Hammersmiff

howz10 - well done and thanks, I was about to tear my hair out but I haven't got any.

Your instructions worked 1st time, surely Sky are aware of this problem, we're all paying a fortune for these services, come on Sky, get your (Removed) act together!! 

Moderator note: Removed inappropriate language

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion