Discussion topic: Sky mini box in summer house!

This message was authored by Smithaam This message was authored by: Smithaam

Sky mini box in summer house!

I have 2 mini boxes, one in bedroom and one in summer house. 

Unfortunately the one in summer house has really poor connection.

I don't have sky internet. 

What can I use to boost the signal into the summer house? Can I use a normal wifi booster?

I do have an cat6 cable running into the summer house as was going to use this for a access point but don't believe this will help with the sky TV.

I could wire my main box directly with the rooter but believe this will loose the wireless signal to the box upstairs!

Thanks for any advice

Best Answers
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99 Answer

Re: Sky mini box in summer house!

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

hi @Smithaam 

The first thing you need to be aware of is that, as your home wifi is not SKY the minis do not use your wifi but a wfif signal generated by the main box.

If you can connect the main box to the router and the mini in the summer house to the router this should work - provided the mini in the summer house is connected to the ethernet directly or via a non-managed switch.

I think the mini in the house should be OK providing you don.t switch off the wifi on the main box

(edit : if your main box is connecting via wifi now you probably will need to do a netwrok reset on it after connecting via ethernet)

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Fergus+MacRoth This message was authored by: Fergus+MacRoth

A few years ago (during lockdown) I installed a birdbox camera on the rear of our shed. It was a wireless camera. The signal was terrible and kept dropping out.

A purchased a TP-Link AC1200 wireless access point.

That boosted the signal dramatically all over the garden, and the camera was fine after that - right up until the time the resident Great **bleep** pulled the antenna off.

After that, I went with a wired connection to give me something to do while locked down.

FM
This message was authored by Fergus+MacRoth This message was authored by: Fergus+MacRoth

I didn't swear in that last post. You can guesss the word of the bird in question.

The AC1200 is available on Amazon, amongst other places, and is perfect for garden wi-fi.

FM
Smithaam
Topic Author

I'm not worried about the WiFi, it's the sky tv I'm struggling with! I wanted to know if just a normal booster with help with the connection between the sky main box and mini box.

Could also use a mesh system to boost the WiFi but again will this boost the sky tv signal

Cheers

And incidentally, our minibox is in another room, but dropout was a problem even there. I hardwired the minibox and it has been fine ever since. If you have that option, I'd go with that.

FM

Sorry, I was merely pointing out that a stronger signal definitely helps, but that wired is best if you have that option.

FM
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99 Answer

hi @Smithaam 

The first thing you need to be aware of is that, as your home wifi is not SKY the minis do not use your wifi but a wfif signal generated by the main box.

If you can connect the main box to the router and the mini in the summer house to the router this should work - provided the mini in the summer house is connected to the ethernet directly or via a non-managed switch.

I think the mini in the house should be OK providing you don.t switch off the wifi on the main box

(edit : if your main box is connecting via wifi now you probably will need to do a netwrok reset on it after connecting via ethernet)

Smithaam
Topic Author

thank you, will try this out and let you know.

Smithaam
Topic Author

It works for a few minutes but as I have seen on many other threads the sky boxs (main and mini) keep connecting back to the wifi!

Is there anyway to use a booster just for the TV signal or can this only to be used if you have sky internet??? 

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@Smithaam wrote:

It works for a few minutes but as I have seen on many other threads the sky boxs (main and mini) keep connecting back to the wifi!

Is there anyway to use a booster just for the TV signal or can this only to be used if you have sky internet??? 

You might get away with a SKy booster linked to the wifi from the SKY Q boxes but positioning is critical & I would say not that likely to cure your problem

As my expertise in this area is limited, I hope he doesn;t mind but I will tag @oldfella who is more experienced in this area & hopefuilly can advise. 

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@Smithaam wrote:

Hi @Smithaam 

First connect the Ethernet between router and main Q box and then carry out a Network reset on the main Q box.

Network Reset found in Q box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Follow instructions to connect wired to router. (Do not carry out any WPS).

just wait for the main Q box to connect.

If it doesn't connect there is an issue with your Ethernet.

(Assuming the Q box will connect) connect another Ethernet cable between the router and your Summerhouse mini.

Then carry out a Network reset on the mini.

Network Reset found in mini box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side.   
Again do not do any WPS and just wait for it to connect.

If it doesn't connect there is an issue with the Ethernet.

As soon as it connects go immediately into the mini box hidden menu and turn off WiFi.

To enter hidden menu press Home in the mini menu and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.
Go to Network to turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

This message was authored by lpardoe This message was authored by: lpardoe

I am going to try this as I have a similar problem. My only concern is, I have a mini upstairs connected via WiFi. Will that still work ok? Summer house will be wired via ethernet and mini upstairs will be WiFi. 

Also.. for me to get a mini working in the summer house (via ethernet).. does my main box and router need to be connected via ethernet? Or can that be WiFi? (Virgin broadband and third party router).

Any help would be amazing @oldfella thank you. 

Smithaam
Topic Author

The way I sorted it was have a extra nodes running a mesh system and plug the sky q boxes into them and then also have an extra node wired vire into the summer house and sky q box wired into that.

You can not have one box wired and another work off WiFi unfortunately. 

This message was authored by lpardoe This message was authored by: lpardoe

Hi mate thanks for reply. What does node mean sorry?

I have a mesh WiFi system in my house. I have 4 additional routers scattered around the house, one of which is in the summer house. Do you mean plug it all into those?

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@lpardoe wrote:

I am going to try this as I have a similar problem. My only concern is, I have a mini upstairs connected via WiFi. Will that still work ok? Summer house will be wired via ethernet and mini upstairs will be WiFi. 

Also.. for me to get a mini working in the summer house (via ethernet).. does my main box and router need to be connected via ethernet? Or can that be WiFi? (Virgin broadband and third party router).

Any help would be amazing @oldfella thank you. 

hi @lpardoe 

On 3rd party broadband if you want to connect a mini by Ethernet to your router then all Q boxes must be connected by Ethernet to your Router.

If you cannot do this then the only option is to connect the mini by Ether to the main Q box.  
You would need to turn off the WiFi on the Ethernet mini

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion