Discussion topic: Sky gift that ended up being costly

This message was authored by Tim1960 This message was authored by: Tim1960

Sky gift that ended up being costly

Several months ago I ageed another contract with Sky and added on a Sky mini box. When the Sky mini box arrived and connected the 2nd TV kept loosing the connection, I kept percevering as I was unsure whether our broadband was at fault, after several weeks and speaking to Sky Technical team  due to a weak signal they found a booster was required and to compensate for not being able to use the new add on I was given Sky Cinema for 2 months as compensation, which I took as a good goodwill gesture and the booster resolved the issue.

We used Sky Cinema once during the period and then assumed the access would be cancelled. But several months later I noticed the Sky direct debit had increased a couple of times and on checking found we still have access to the Cinema chanels which we never requested or wanted.

After querying on the phone with Sky customer services I was informed, I should have cancelled Cinema (which I never ordered) why did I not see I was beng charged on my statement, I NEVER receive one and I was supposedly notified by email, which I never received or I would have been straight on the phone. The onus was put on me to cancel a service I never requested and after 19 years with Sky I was far from happy with the blame put on me.

Just a warning to other Sky customers if your given any free access to any service, it is up to you to cancel!! 

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Sky gift that ended up being costly

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Tim1960 wrote:

Several months ago I ageed another contract with Sky and added on a Sky mini box. When the Sky mini box arrived and connected the 2nd TV kept loosing the connection, I kept percevering as I was unsure whether our broadband was at fault, after several weeks and speaking to Sky Technical team  due to a weak signal they found a booster was required and to compensate for not being able to use the new add on I was given Sky Cinema for 2 months as compensation, which I took as a good goodwill gesture and the booster resolved the issue.

We used Sky Cinema once during the period and then assumed the access would be cancelled. But several months later I noticed the Sky direct debit had increased a couple of times and on checking found we still have access to the Cinema chanels which we never requested or wanted.

After querying on the phone with Sky customer services I was informed, I should have cancelled Cinema (which I never ordered) why did I not see I was beng charged on my statement, I NEVER receive one and I was supposedly notified by email, which I never received or I would have been straight on the phone. The onus was put on me to cancel a service I never requested and after 19 years with Sky I was far from happy with the blame put on me.

Just a warning to other Sky customers if your given any free access to any service, it is up to you to cancel!! 

@Tim1960 

Unfortunately you are correct that these 'free' offers of a month or 2 of  Cinema or similar always need to be cancelled. 

They are very to trial  subscriptions of apps etc.

When people advise us they have been given one we do try to advise to make sure poeple cancel in time

BTW you can check current & future bills on your SKy Box (as well as in the My SKy app or via SKY .com) 

Home - My SKY - Manage My account - Blls 

Tim1960
Topic Author
This message was authored by Tim1960 This message was authored by: Tim1960

@nigea99 I will know in the future but its frustrating to have never been told the service requires cancelling, it was solely compensation for paying for a service that did'nt work and unforunately never visited this or other Sky discusion forums, but you live and learn. 

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Tim1960 wrote:

@nigea99 I will know in the future but its frustrating to have never been told the service requires cancelling, it was solely compensation for paying for a service that did'nt work and unforunately never visited this or other Sky discusion forums, but you live and learn. 

Needless to say most people do think as you did and end up paying for something they don't want and never asked for

Hopefully your post will act as a warning to others but sadly probably not as most people like yourself are unlikely to  visit these groups. until after

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion