Discussion topic: Sky Sport HD Poor Quality

This message was authored by andymar This message was authored by: andymar

Sky Sport HD Poor Quality

Anyone else seeing poor quality on Sky Sports HD channels, if so has anyone reported it?

I find the quality just like SD and virtualy impossible to watch on my Oled TV.

Sports on BBC, ITV and BT all all fine in HD but Sky's channels is very poor.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Sky Sport HD Poor Quality

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

No - all feel HD for me - 58" OLED ( I don't watch much football though)

This message was authored by Ray+P This message was authored by: Ray+P

@andymar , what resolution is your SkyQ box set to? I keep mine to 1080p unless I’m watching 4K. The Scotland game on SS Football looks fine on my 55” OLED.

Loewe Bild 7.55 OLED TV; Sky Q 2Gb; Arcam AVR21 AVR; B&W CM4 / CMC / 702 / 663 speakers.
This message was authored by Rhonny This message was authored by: Rhonny

@Ray+P

1080i is Sky's native resolution and generally looks sharper than 1080p.

@Rhonny , yes, slip of the brain. I don’t even think there’s a 1080p option.

Loewe Bild 7.55 OLED TV; Sky Q 2Gb; Arcam AVR21 AVR; B&W CM4 / CMC / 702 / 663 speakers.

@Ray+P

There is indeed a 1080p option, but best to use 1080i for Sky (for non UHD anyway). 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@andymar assuming you are comparing quality of broadcasts from your Q box using the same output resolution that cannot be a factor. Can you give examples of coverage you find poor? 

Sky buy in a lot of Sports coverage from third party broadcasters especially true of sports like Cricket and Golf where most overseas events are not produced by Sky themselves and they buy a stream from a host broadcaster adding commentary and get what they are given.

Sports like F1 are also produced by independents but in that case the broadcast is normally first class to my ageing eyes both in UHD and HD. Premier League football is similarly of good quality as the grounds have good infrastructure although any live event the lighting and weather can be difficult. Things get more complex where you are talking other sports. Do you watch F1 or Premier League?

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
andymar
Topic Author

DFD2434A-D90B-44A6-83A4-A65036AE6B2E.jpeg

andymar
Topic Author

21427830-4205-44A2-AA90-ADBB4847D5A9.jpeg

andymar
Topic Author

76647477-B9E0-4906-AAEA-8E89FA79E353.jpeg

@andymar What are you trying to post? Three posts containing just a yellow triangle. ????

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@andymar sorry but a photo of a screen from an angle really doesnt illustate much to be honest. Many LCD TVs do have issues when viewed from the side as they only have a limited viiewing angle which is due to the way the picture is produced. 

@Ray+P pictures require moderation before they appear which in the evenings or weekends  has to be done by one of the Oracles as the community managers are not working so it depends when one of us is around and checks the queue.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

@andymar

Are you sure that was actually Sky Sports Football HD? The non-HD version of the channel is available. Does your channel actually say HD after it in the TV guide? 

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

hi @andymar When comparing screens are your TV settings the same between Freeview on many TVs and SKY ?

Most TVs  retain the  (often different) settings per 'input' so Freeview & each HDMI could have different settings 

I do believe SKY may seem to have a more subdued image than Freeview on many TVs  but that does not mean lower quality - I think this may also be more noticable if you leave SKY on 2160p (which I do).

Many think that brightness & higher contrast  equates to quality when actually there is more detail present. 

This message was authored by luke+12 This message was authored by: luke+12

Propley your tv 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion