Discussion topic: Sky Q to Sky mini connection

This message was authored by GRAHAM6664 This message was authored by: GRAHAM6664

Sky Q to Sky mini connection

I'm considering adding 2 mini boxes to my Sky Q but know that they will be out of WiFi range of the Sky Q. Can I wire them via ethernet and if so is this to the router or the Sky Q box? Or is a WiFi booster better?

Best Answers
This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

Re: Sky Q to Sky mini connection

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@GRAHAM6664 wrote:

Thanks so the Sky Q can be wireless and the minis can be wired as long as I have  a Sky router?

Correct @GRAHAM6664 .

As I said you can Use Ethernet on the minis if on 3rd party broadband but is this instance the Ethernet must be connected to the main Q box

Ideal scenario is to Ethernet connections to the router on all boxes.  Then you can turn off all WiFi in the Q boxes.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@GRAHAM6664 wrote:

I'm considering adding 2 mini boxes to my Sky Q but know that they will be out of WiFi range of the Sky Q. Can I wire them via ethernet and if so is this to the router or the Sky Q box? Or is a WiFi booster better?

Hi @GRAHAM6664 

Depends whether or not you are on Sky Broadband .  If you are then any combination of WiFi and Ethernet is possible.  However if you are on 3rd party Broadband then you either must connect all Q boxes to your router (either directly or through simple unmanaged Ethernet switches) or connect the minis by Ethernet to your main Q box.

As I'm sure you are aware WiFi is unpredicable and whether or not Q boosters will help is difficult to determine without knowing complete Q layout, distances involved and what obstructions and materials must be negotiated.

GRAHAM6664
Topic Author
This message was authored by GRAHAM6664 This message was authored by: GRAHAM6664

Thanks so the Sky Q can be wireless and the minis can be wired as long as I have  a Sky router?

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

@GRAHAM6664 wrote:

Correct @GRAHAM6664 .

As I said you can Use Ethernet on the minis if on 3rd party broadband but is this instance the Ethernet must be connected to the main Q box

Ideal scenario is to Ethernet connections to the router on all boxes.  Then you can turn off all WiFi in the Q boxes.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion