Discussion topic: Sky Q on shared broadband connection …. again!

This message was authored by Ricky+777 This message was authored by: Ricky+777

Sky Q on shared broadband connection …. again!

I think I know what the answer is but here goes..

My mum lives next door on a farm and shares our broadband connection via a LAN cable between the 2 houses. We upgraded to Sky Q a year or so ago (though at times wonder why!) and mum is still using a Sky+HD box without issues. The engineer who installed our box said when I mentioned about the shared connection it isn't possible to have to customers with Sky Q boxes on the shared broadband connection. 

So today my mum received a letter from the Sky Team encouraging her to upgrade to Sky Q as if she doesn't her Sky sports and Sky cinema subscription will be cancelled and by August all the other Sky channels. I'll say again she has a Sky+HD box perfectly capable of receiving HD channels. I know if she rings the Sky team the tele sales operator will say it will be fine and send an engineer out with new Sky Q box. Is it true she will lose access to Sky channels etc? Is it scare tactics to pressure her into upgrading? Has the issue of customers on shared broadband connection not being able to run more than one customer Sky Q box  been resolved (I live in hope)

Thanks in advance. John.

All Replies

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Re: Sky Q on shared broadband connection …. again!

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Ricky+777 wrote:

Has the issue of customers on shared broadband connection not being able to run more than one customer Sky Q box  been resolved (I live in hope)

It's not an issue as such - it was never designed to work this way.  I would say there is zero chance of it being 'fixed'.  (If you know enough about networking then a VLAN configuration may solve it)

The obvious choice would be to get her own broadband connection.  (Costs involved though).

In terms of the subscriptions Sky can obviously decide on what platforms they want to support.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@Ricky+777 wrote:

I think I know what the answer is but here goes..

My mum lives next door on a farm and shares our broadband connection via a LAN cable between the 2 houses. We upgraded to Sky Q a year or so ago (though at times wonder why!) and mum is still using a Sky+HD box without issues. The engineer who installed our box said when I mentioned about the shared connection it isn't possible to have to customers with Sky Q boxes on the shared broadband connection. 

So today my mum received a letter from the Sky Team encouraging her to upgrade to Sky Q as if she doesn't her Sky sports and Sky cinema subscription will be cancelled and by August all the other Sky channels. I'll say again she has a Sky+HD box perfectly capable of receiving HD channels. I know if she rings the Sky team the tele sales operator will say it will be fine and send an engineer out with new Sky Q box. Is it true she will lose access to Sky channels etc? Is it scare tactics to pressure her into upgrading? Has the issue of customers on shared broadband connection not being able to run more than one customer Sky Q box  been resolved (I live in hope)

Thanks in advance. John.

hi @Ricky+777 

The only plans we know of, is as you indicate, the switch over of SD channels to use DVBS-2 meaning older SD only boxes will not work when they switch.

I am not aware of any changes made to allow 2 SKY main boxes to work with a single broadband connection & it is unlikely they have invested any effort in changing this as it just wasn't designed that way

Personally I am concened if inappropriate letters are being sent out to customers who may not be affected. So we can this targetting looked into, I don't supoose you could upload a copy of the letter with any personal information obscured, and maybe also quote the model number of the HD box (although this  bit is just to highlight the incorrect targetting)

Ricky+777
Topic Author

I can upload a copy of the letter and could get you the model number tomorrow. Where might I find the model number?

I thought it unlikely that Sky would have done anything about the shared internet connection! I also thought it unlikely that Sky would pull services for perfectly compatible Sky+HD boxes.

@PandJ2020 yes if push comes to shove then she could get her own connection though some time ago she had her landline disconnected as she wasn't using it. That said a phone call would get it connected again - I expect! Yes I know a bit about networks and read a VLAN might get round it. I've enough headaches without messing about with that 🤣 

IMG_2189.jpeg

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@Ricky+777 wrote:

I can upload a copy of the letter and could get you the model number tomorrow. Where might I find the model number?

I thought it unlikely that Sky would have done anything about the shared internet connection! I also thought it unlikely that Sky would pull services for perfectly compatible Sky+HD boxes.

@PandJ2020 yes if push comes to shove then she could get her own connection though some time ago she had her landline disconnected as she wasn't using it. That said a phone call would get it connected again - I expect! Yes I know a bit about networks and read a VLAN might get round it. I've enough headaches without messing about with that 🤣 

IMG_2189.jpeg

Many thanks indeed for uploading the letter

I have just looked at the link it directs you to and that is clearly headed & mentions SKY SD boxes & does advise how to check.

That said I suspect many people will not look at the link to see what it says and be concerned by the tone of the  letter

Thus if your  mother has an HD box as you say & has received the letter then it would indicate that SKY's records are not up to date or they have been sending them out incorrectly

EDIT BTW the link explains how to check which box:

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-channel-upgrade

Ricky+777
Topic Author

@nigea99  

I did check the link last night and it took me to a page where you could upgrade your sky box. Tried it again this morning and it took me to the page explaining about the SD boxes. I maybe misspelled the link though!  The letter maybe should explain that it affects SD boxes  and Sky+HD boxes aren't affected?  Anyway thanks for your help and I'll set my mums mind at rest. She's not bothered about an upgrade to Sky Q and would rather have free broadband! 

This message was authored by KevNewMedia This message was authored by: KevNewMedia

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @Ricky+777 

Thanks for using the Sky Community.

I want to investigate this problem, however will need some further information about your Mum's account.  I've escalated your post to our Community Messaging team, and they will be in touch over the next 48 hours. Just check back here every now and again. You're looking for the chat bubble in the bottom corner of the thread.

For more information on how the service works, click here https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147 

Thanks
Kev
Community Manager
This message was authored by Addie15 This message was authored by: Addie15

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi there! Thank you for escalating this. We have sent an invite to @Ricky+777.

This message was authored by Addie15 This message was authored by: Addie15

Posted by a Sky employee

Update-We are closing this invite now due to no response within 48 hours. If you still need help, please let us know so we can re-escalate this for you. Thanks.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion