Discussion topic: Sky Q now not working with fire tv cube

This message was authored by jhp4561 This message was authored by: jhp4561

Sky Q now not working with fire tv cube

My new fire tv cube has been working great with my sky q box, since i bought the cube around 4 moinths ago...

It could change channels by name no bother on my sky q box....NOW, it cant ! - Keeps saying "your provider cant do that"..
It has been doing it fine for 4 months...

WTH has happened ?

Amzon live chat are usless on thjis matter..

anyone lese gets this ?

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by Paulonthetelly This message was authored by: Paulonthetelly

Re: Sky Q now not working with fire tv cube

@jhp4561 , voice activated Q I understand but I don't with connecting Q as an input to the cube. Q should be directly connected to its own tv hdmi input its got a really good voice activated function. I have an amazon fire device as a smart tv app and as a:standalone tv input

This message was authored by tarbat This message was authored by: tarbat

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@jhp4561 wrote:

NOW, it cant ! - Keeps saying "your provider cant do that"..

Just checked, and my Cube can still control Sky Q okay. For example, using the cube remote and saying "tune to BBC1" works, etc. All I can suggest is to check the equipment setup in the Cube settings.

@Paulonthetelly , it doesn't need the Sky Q plugged into the Cube, it uses IR signals to control the Sky Q box.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TARBAT's SETUP....................Sky Q 2tb v3
Panasonic 65” GZ1500 OLED TV : Yamaha YSP-2700 Soundbar (ARC) : BT Smart Hub 2 & FTTP 900 : BT Disc
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Community Superuser. 25 Years Diamond VIP

jhp4561
Topic Author

@Paulonthetelly -
My cube is directly connected to its own tv hdmi input, from day one...

Yes fire tv cube has its own interface / home screen...

I dont think you understand what going on here....

I been using the cube to voice change (without pressing any buttons ) on my sky q box channels no bother.... "alexa, turn on sky news"  and it turns on tv, and auto tunes to sky news.

"Alexa, turn on sky two"  and it auto changes over to sky two, or any other channel i ask it to, without any problem., as well as the usual, mute volume, up/down.....
It still does on sky q, channel up/down..

So WHY now, has it stopped working ?  I can still ask it to change sky q channels BUT, ONLY with channel numbers, and not channel name/s..  ;(

contacted amzon CS, who are about as helpful as a chocolate teapot, who gave me over a paragrpgh from there own tech team saying, that if i lived outside usa, voice changing sky tv channelswas not a feature here..  
Total **bleep**, as it has ben working superb...

If i delete the sky q box from equipment in the cube settings,and reinstll it,  it brings up my post code on screen - "it this your post code" ?  it is, so i click yes, then it keeps saying  "it appears your postcode is incorrect or not supported. A valid british or supported postcode is required to continue"

What the hell have sky, or amazon done ?  Obviously amazon aint admitting nothing....PITA company..
On chat to amazon cs last night, and they agreed to send me out a new cube in few days time.....

jhp4561
Topic Author

@tarbat.

GREAT ! Another person that can do this on there cube...Thank you!
It proves to amazon CS, that i aint telling lies / making things up here !.....
See my previous post my friend..

Shame, as the product was working great - was ONLY reason i bought the fire tv cube, was to change sky q tv channels, as i have a flat full of dots / echos

jhp4561
Topic Author

Also, if i do manage to get past the postcode error, it doesn not show sky tv as a provider..

Some serious **bleep** up at amazon end, and they wont admit it...as per usual !

This message was authored by tarbat This message was authored by: tarbat

So presumably a postcode problem. As an experiment, does it work if you use a different postcode?

TARBAT's SETUP....................Sky Q 2tb v3
Panasonic 65” GZ1500 OLED TV : Yamaha YSP-2700 Soundbar (ARC) : BT Smart Hub 2 & FTTP 900 : BT Disc
Sky Community Superuser. 25 Years Diamond VIP

This message was authored by Paulonthetelly This message was authored by: Paulonthetelly

@jhp4561 , @tarbat , well I learned something new today.  If they get the fix for the cube controlling the Q box. Saved me switching via hdmis all the time 

jhp4561
Topic Author

AND.....as if by magic >>  its all working perfectly again....Unbelievable !....for now anyway
Now back to saying "alexa, turn on discovery channel" - she does it....

"alexa, turn on nat geo" she does it..... you get the picture here paul?. ;)..

Beside all the other usual stuff it can do

The cube DOES DO THIS 100%
Dunno why amazon CS, kept telling me it not available outside the USA last night...

BUT, still gonna take there new replacement cub, when it arrive next thursday, just in case this is temp fix, and it still gonna be intermitant problem....

But still prove it was an amazon back end problem, but they will never admit anything there end...oh no

jhp4561
Topic Author

And...

As i thought...back to not working again....

Ah well,will wait fornew cube to arrive next week  

This message was authored by Stevek447 This message was authored by: Stevek447

Did you get a fix for this as mine has done the same and randomly stopped working. Works with tune to channel 101 but not 'tune to bbc1' etc

jhp4561
Topic Author

Sent it back, and got new gen 2 out..worked ok after that - until now !

Still fire tv cue does NOT have sky Q in the line up - ONLY sd and hd - WHY ???

Latest probs are >>

Before i could ask - turn on sky news,(or any other sky ch ) and it would change to sky news hd on sky box automatically..

Now when i ask the same thing after updating the cube, i get this crap >>

"I cant do that on fire tv, i can use cable or provider, which would you like"

WTH is provider ? and when i say "provider", is still says the same garb as above, so have to say "cable".

NOTE : i dont have any cable, tis sky Q i have here, and sky q is STILL NOT an option, when setting up equipment in the fire tv cube settings, ONLY sd and hd are there.. (under > whats your sky lineup?) Sky q was there last yr as an option, as i was using it in the set up process...

wth has happened in last update ?? And yes, i even factory reset cube, but still probs are there ;( This cube is getting worse every update..

version fire os 7.2.3.4 (ps7234/2039

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

@jhp4561I am afraid you will have to deal with Amazon with that and good luck. You could try their forum but I have not found it very helpful.

Link to forum cube section  

This message was authored by M+Rathbone This message was authored by: M+Rathbone

Just set up my 'new' fire tv cube and the same. My sky q box isn't in the line up. Kmly sd or HD. Yet watched an U tube tutorial to see if I had set it up wrong.  Yet in this tutorial. He got sky q in the line up of boxes. So why can't it do the same for me. He also managed it to set it to change the input automatically from the fire tv cube. I have to get my tv remote and change the source myself before I can watch it.  When I change inputs. It will have changed the channel. But what's the point if I have to use the tv remote yo change tv input source all the time. Plus can't get Netflix via the cube. I have to use the sky q app to watch it. I'll call tech in the morning and see why it's not doing most of the things I bought it for.

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

@M+Rathbone 

Have you tried this link to Amazon's help on connecting to boxes etc.

Cube help 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion