Discussion topic: Sky Q network over ethernet and wifi

This message was authored by Chalkers This message was authored by: Chalkers

Sky Q network over ethernet and wifi

Hi there

I have an office pod at the bottom of my garden and wish to be able to use one of my sky Q mini boxes in there. As the wifi network doesn't reach it, I have run ethernet cable into my main box from a switch and then from the same switch an ethernet cable goes out to my garden office and connects to the sky Q mini box. On initial experimentation, this worked and the sky Q box in the garden office worked fine. 

Here is the problem, when i did this, it stopped the other sky Q mini boxes in the house from working as they were over wifi. You could still stream from those boxes on Apps like iPlayer but you could no longer watch live TV.

How can you fix it so I can have an ethernet connection to the main box and the sky Q in the garden office whilst also enjoying the wifi based sky Q boxes in the house? I don't want to have to ethernet up my whole house.

One solution i thought of was if i ran an ethernet into the Sky Q wifi booster, would this work?

Many thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: Sky Q network over ethernet and wifi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Chalkers wrote:

Hi there

I have an office pod at the bottom of my garden and wish to be able to use one of my sky Q mini boxes in there. As the wifi network doesn't reach it, I have run ethernet cable into my main box from a switch and then from the same switch an ethernet cable goes out to my garden office and connects to the sky Q mini box. On initial experimentation, this worked and the sky Q box in the garden office worked fine. 

Here is the problem, when i did this, it stopped the other sky Q mini boxes in the house from working as they were over wifi. You could still stream from those boxes on Apps like iPlayer but you could no longer watch live TV.

How can you fix it so I can have an ethernet connection to the main box and the sky Q in the garden office whilst also enjoying the wifi based sky Q boxes in the house? I don't want to have to ethernet up my whole house.

One solution i thought of was if i ran an ethernet into the Sky Q wifi booster, would this work?

Many thanks

Hi @Chalkers 

Cannot really see why an Ethernet connected mini would stop WiFi Minis working.  Unless of course you have switched off the WiFi on the main Q box.

Assume you are on Sky Broadband if you have a Q WiFi Booster if this is correctly connected by WPS to your main Q box or Sky router no reason why you cannot connect an Ethernet cable to this

Chalkers
Topic Author

I'm not on Sky BB. I was given a booster though when they first fitted the sky Q network. 

I find it weird that the sky Q that was working off Wi-Fi was able to stream but had a 'technical fault' when doing live tv. 

Chalkers
Topic Author

The booster is currently connected via Wi-Fi but if required I could connect the booster with an Ethernet cable. 
If I can get an Ethernet cable into the booster, would it then throw out Wi-Fi to fully connect the other sky Q boxes?

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Chalkers wrote:

The booster is currently connected via Wi-Fi but if required I could connect the booster with an Ethernet cable. 
If I can get an Ethernet cable into the booster, would it then throw out Wi-Fi to fully connect the other sky Q boxes?

Hi @Chalkers 

It will certainly broadcast WiFi if connected by Ethernet.

However whether or not this will be enough to connect your WiFi Minis you can only try it and see

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion