Discussion topic: Sky Q - intermittent usage to upstairs mini box - would a sky Q booster help?

This message was authored by AKT69 This message was authored by: AKT69

Sky Q - intermittent usage to upstairs mini box - would a sky Q booster help?

Hi - I have a Sky Q 2tb main box with 4 mini boxes attached. The ones downstairs all work with no issues.

However the upstairs mini box often struggles with the dreaded 'you cannot watch TV due to connectivity' blue screen or a similar message saying there is a problem connecting with Sky Q box. Happens when watching either normal Sky channels, recordings or one of the streaming apps via Sky.

It's only used upstairs in the late evenings and seems to have very intermittent periods of poor connection (no pattern).

I've done all the various troubleshooting steps and resets/reactivations with little difference made - I do have sky broadband guarantee - but due to the intermittent nature of the issue it doesnt really register as an issue for Sky....

So I'm at the point of wondering if I buy a Sky Q booster?? and if so which one, as there seem to be different year based models available to buy... advice please!

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: Sky Q - intermittent usage to upstairs mini box - would a sky Q booster help?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@AKT69 wrote:

Hi - I have a Sky Q 2tb main box with 4 mini boxes attached. The ones downstairs all work with no issues.

However the upstairs mini box often struggles with the dreaded 'you cannot watch TV due to connectivity' blue screen or a similar message saying there is a problem connecting with Sky Q box. Happens when watching either normal Sky channels, recordings or one of the streaming apps via Sky.

It's only used upstairs in the late evenings and seems to have very intermittent periods of poor connection (no pattern).

I've done all the various troubleshooting steps and resets/reactivations with little difference made - I do have sky broadband guarantee - but due to the intermittent nature of the issue it doesnt really register as an issue for Sky....

So I'm at the point of wondering if I buy a Sky Q booster?? and if so which one, as there seem to be different year based models available to buy... advice please!

Hi @AKT69 

Have you connected the problem mini to the Nearest of your other Q devices?

That's the main Q box the Sky router or another connected mini.

Connect by WPS following a Network reset on the problem mini.

If the mini still does not connect try a Network Reset on the mini.
Network Reset found in mini Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Follow instructions to WPS with main Q box.
You will be asked to press the WPS button on the nearest Q device (not the mini as the Network reset will start the mini WPS automatically).
As you are on Sky Broadband and if the Router or another mini is nearer than the main box then you can try pressing WPS on this instead of the main Q box. If you do use the router then make sure you press the Sky router WPS button and not the router reset button.

Failing all of the above you may need a Sky Q WiFi Booster to position midway between.

your main Q box and the mini and you will need to contact Sky directly.   They should supply these free of charge to aid Q connectivity problems

AKT69
Topic Author
This message was authored by AKT69 This message was authored by: AKT69

Re: Sky Q - intermittent usage to upstairs mini box - would a sky Q booster help?

Thanks @oldfella - yes I dont know how many times I've done the various resets as youve outlined (often late at night which is fun coming downstairs !) 

What I find odd is that it always seems to be worse around midnight, as if my sky broadband or Q service weakens late at night.

The Sky Q main box is also quite old and hot/sluggish, but my chances of getting Sky to change it I'm guessing will be limited

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion