Discussion topic: Sky Q boxes keep disconnecting from network

This message was authored by MJCoops This message was authored by: MJCoops

Sky Q boxes keep disconnecting from network

I've a main Sky Q box & 2 mini boxes all use wifi, none are connected via ethernet.

My ISP is BT Infinity.

All 3 boxes keep disconnecting from each other. Meaning I am having to reactivate the mini boxes or reconnect to the network multiple times every day.  

I originally had a BT Homehub 6, but read that Sky Q and this didn't play nicely together, so assumed this was causing the problem.  I replaced the homehub with a dreytek Vigor 130 modem and Google Wifi, but if anything it's gotten worse.

Everything else (smart TVs, ipads, consoles, smart devices) all work fine with the wifi, but Sky Q just won't stay connected.  The main sky box is less than 8 feet away from the router yet regularly loses the signal.

Any ideas to solve?

Best Answers
MJCoops
Topic Author
This message was authored by MJCoops This message was authored by: MJCoops Answer

Re: Sky Q boxes keep disconnecting from network

Problem looks to now be resolved (fingers crossed)

Sky Tech support were a great help and ran quite a few tests remotely and weren't happy with how the 3 boxes were talking to each other, so an engineer was booked and came out the same day (Brilliant!!)

He did some local network checks and confirmed that the problem with BT HomeHub is now resolved, so that was not causing the problem.  He could see that the boxes were switching when the signal wasn't great, so setup a booster which seemed to resovle the problem.  He also reset all of the 3 boxes.

This worked until the evening, then the disconnections started again.   The engineer had advised to turn off 2.4ghz if this happened, so I did that and there's been no more disconnections for 5 days now.

View this Answer within the discussion

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by Quoman7 This message was authored by: Quoman7

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@MJCoops wrote:

I've a main Sky Q box & 2 mini boxes all use wifi, none are connected via ethernet.

My ISP is BT Infinity.

All 3 boxes keep disconnecting from each other. Meaning I am having to reactivate the mini boxes or reconnect to the network multiple times every day.  

I originally had a BT Homehub 6, but read that Sky Q and this didn't play nicely together, so assumed this was causing the problem.  I replaced the homehub with a dreytek Vigor 130 modem and Google Wifi, but if anything it's gotten worse.

Everything else (smart TVs, ipads, consoles, smart devices) all work fine with the wifi, but Sky Q just won't stay connected.  The main sky box is less than 8 feet away from the router yet regularly loses the signal.

Any ideas to solve?

Hi @MJCoops  I have a BT HH6 and it works fine with my SKYQ, you just need to turn off Smart Setup on the HH6, as this has been known to cause problems.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used to have superpowers… But a therapist took them away.
MJCoops
Topic Author
This message was authored by MJCoops This message was authored by: MJCoops

Yep, turned off SmartSetup and still got the disconnections, which is why I moved across to a modem and google wifi.  But results were the same.

The only thing that didn't change is the Sky Q equipment, so I'm deducing that the problem is with the Sky Q kit.

I though maybe turning off the 5ghz on the sky boxes and force them to use the more reliable 2.4ghz?

@MJCoops wrote:

Yep, turned off SmartSetup and still got the disconnections, which is why I moved across to a modem and google wifi.  But results were the same.

The only thing that didn't change is the Sky Q equipment, so I'm deducing that the problem is with the Sky Q kit.

I though maybe turning off the 5ghz on the sky boxes and force them to use the more reliable 2.4ghz?

@MJCoops  Your SKYQ main box will only connect to a third party router via 2.5ghz, the mini boxes connect to the SKYQ main box by their own wifi mesh.

@MJCoops wrote:

My ISP is BT Infinity.

Any ideas to solve?

@MJCoops  It sounds like you need a SKYQ wifi booster, you will need to call SKY and arrange for an engineer visit and they will supply one free of charge if needed.

MJCoops
Topic Author
This message was authored by MJCoops This message was authored by: MJCoops Answer

Problem looks to now be resolved (fingers crossed)

Sky Tech support were a great help and ran quite a few tests remotely and weren't happy with how the 3 boxes were talking to each other, so an engineer was booked and came out the same day (Brilliant!!)

He did some local network checks and confirmed that the problem with BT HomeHub is now resolved, so that was not causing the problem.  He could see that the boxes were switching when the signal wasn't great, so setup a booster which seemed to resovle the problem.  He also reset all of the 3 boxes.

This worked until the evening, then the disconnections started again.   The engineer had advised to turn off 2.4ghz if this happened, so I did that and there's been no more disconnections for 5 days now.

This message was authored by Wi-Fi+dropout This message was authored by: Wi-Fi+dropout

My sky Q box is disconnecting from my Wi-Fi every day now.

We're on BT fibre to property with BT disc mesh network and every other device remains connected and does not require constant password input.

given the number of complaints on here this must be. Q box issue.

im not tech savvy so please don't ask me to switch on/off 2.5Ghz etc. Or manually input an IP address!

this is clearly a Sky Q issue and I am considering cancelling my subscription because this is a joke

This message was authored by a11ant1mney This message was authored by: a11ant1mney

This was happening to me. when you are connected to your wifi, go to settings,Network connection,network setup,Advanced settings and change your IP settings to manual. No more problems

This message was authored by brakpan This message was authored by: brakpan

Hi what is 2.4ghz? Mine has been installed today and keeps disconnecting upstairs 

This message was authored by Boony67 This message was authored by: Boony67

Sky Q  and mini box constantly disconnects from internet any ideas of help? 

This message was authored by Andyd77 This message was authored by: Andyd77

Mine too. So annoying, it must be a sky hardware problem

This message was authored by erni This message was authored by: erni

I'm in the same boat, main sky q box and 2 mini box's they're all within 3-4 metres of each other and the sky q hub (older version with 2 ethernet outputs). Have to reboot the sky q mini 1-2 times per day, the one in the bedroom less so but it's watched less, works perfectly inbetween and fine after switching off and on again. Getting a bit annoying now. Any advice greatly appreciated. 

AE
This message was authored by Andyd77 This message was authored by: Andyd77

Hi,

I have changed the network from automatic to manual as described in the one of the posts above and  so far so good, it hasn't disconnected yet

This message was authored by stephanie691 This message was authored by: stephanie691

mine keeps disconnecting! its driving me insane! im not with sky for wifi, i have sky q box. never had an issue before? 😩😩

@stephanie691 wrote:

mine keeps disconnecting! its driving me insane! im not with sky for wifi, i have sky q box. never had an issue before? 😩😩

Hi @stephanie691  Try rebooting your router by removing the power cable for 30 sec then reconnect to reboot, wait for it to fully reboot,, then do the same with the main SKY box!

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion