Discussion topic: Sky Q box regulary loses internet connection.

This message was authored by Moomin This message was authored by: Moomin

Re: Sky Q box regulary loses internet connection.

@Gaz1 

have I got this right? I've got broadband hub cabled into EoP TP link pass through, got another TP link plugged in near sky box and cabled sky q directly in? Is this what fixed your problem as it's not working for me but have WiFi left on as have mini box and was really hoping not to have Ethernet cable running around the bedroom!

Thanks

This message was authored by Gaz1 This message was authored by: Gaz1

HI Moomin,

No that is not what I have.

I use just 1 x Range extender that happens to be a TP-Link RE200. The Extender is connected to my Hub via Wifi.

My Hub is upstairs in the office and SkyQ downstairs if that helps.

The extender is plugged in downstairs in my hallway and is 'Named' TP-Link1 .

When in the SkyQ Network settings, You connect to this and not you main Router / Hub. So instead of selecting 'Virgin1234' for example that will also be shown up as its your Hub you select TP_link.

This way you are not directly connected to your Hub which is what appears to be causing the problems. Although the signal strength from the extender is not as strong as the main Hub it works perfectly fine as even UHD only requires 30Mbs.

With the extender is has to be setup correctly following either the instructions or online help from the relevent support section on the products website.

If you are stuck let me know and i will PM you my number to talk youmthrough it if needed.

This message was authored by Gaz1 This message was authored by: Gaz1

Also Moomin,

Have you set your Powerline adapters up?

With mine I had to connect it to my Hub first. Did this with Wps button after plugging it into a power supply by the Hub.. When it has established a WiFi connection just unplug it again. Then connect the extender to my PC via ethernet. It does not need to be connected to the Internet so i just unplugged the ethernet cable that went from my PC to the rear of the Hub. Unplugged it from the Hub and plugged it into the bottom of the extender.

Put a supplied link into my browser that takes you to the Extender's settings. Then go through 'Quick Start' and it goes through all the Hub settings for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. ON that page you will see the extender is named, however by default it takes the name of your main hub. You need to 'Custom' the name so it is different. Otherwise when you go to Network settings you will not whether you are connecting to the Main Hub or the Powerline as they will be named the same. 

I customised mine to 'TP-LInk1' so that showed up in 'Available networks aswell as my main Virgin hub.

This message was authored by Moomin This message was authored by: Moomin

@Gaz1 

Thanks for confirming. I actually tried connecting to the WiFi extender before I posted this last night but it didn't fix it, however it was broke at the time.  I didn't want to go through the hassle of a hard reboot of the Q box as I was recording so just done it now and connected fine.  To confirm my extender has a different name to my hub, eg hub and hub_ext.  I can't remember how I set up the extender TBH think it was one of those that just did WPS.  I'll see how I get on with this setup.

This message was authored by GDRMC This message was authored by: GDRMC

@Moomin @Gaz1 

Hi, have finally sorted our SkyQ box losing connection, after trying everything suggested on this post and others. We are using Vodafone broadband and are happy with it, as everything else connects to it if we use TP links to boost signal. After talking to a Sky engineer for the umpteenth time I requested a Sky booster, as had read this could help. He agreed it would help, as it makes the SkyQ box think it is connected to Sky broadband not Vodafone. We were charged £10 delivery which is not bad, arrived within a couple of days. Re-connected SkyQ box to our router using WiFi, had previously connected to a TPlink with an Ethernet cable, but this only worked intermittently and not while streaming NETFLIX and other players. Placed the booster near to our router, switched it on, it powered up and connected to WiFi, two of the three green lights came on. Moved the booster to a spot in the lounge opposite the SkyQ box, plugged in,  pressed the WPS  button on the side of the booster and then on the front right hand side of the SkyQ box. After waiting a short while the remaining green connection light turned on and hey presto we were connected. This was Tuesday and everything has been fine since. Have made a point of doing lots of streaming and this is now absolutely fine.  We have since reconnected a TP link elsewhere in the property to improve WiFi to other devices and this has not affected the booster or SkyQ . The booster is called a Sky Booster 4, not the SE210 which had an Ethernet port, this is not needed. It creates a connection just between the SkyQ box and the booster, does not act as a WiFi booster for other devices. Hope this helps other SkyQ users with similar problems

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@GDRMC wrote:

@Moomin @Gaz1 

Hi, have finally sorted our SkyQ box losing connection, after trying everything suggested on this post and others. We are using Vodafone broadband and are happy with it, as everything else connects to it if we use TP links to boost signal. After talking to a Sky engineer for the umpteenth time I requested a Sky booster, as had read this could help. He agreed it would help, as it makes the SkyQ box think it is connected to Sky broadband not Vodafone. We were charged £10 delivery which is not bad, arrived within a couple of days. Re-connected SkyQ box to our router using WiFi, had previously connected to a TPlink with an Ethernet cable, but this only worked intermittently and not while streaming NETFLIX and other players. Placed the booster near to our router, switched it on, it powered up and connected to WiFi, two of the three green lights came on. Moved the booster to a spot in the lounge opposite the SkyQ box, plugged in,  pressed the WPS  button on the side of the booster and then on the front right hand side of the SkyQ box. After waiting a short while the remaining green connection light turned on and hey presto we were connected. This was Tuesday and everything has been fine since. Have made a point of doing lots of streaming and this is now absolutely fine.  We have since reconnected a TP link elsewhere in the property to improve WiFi to other devices and this has not affected the booster or SkyQ . The booster is called a Sky Booster 4, not the SE210 which had an Ethernet port, this is not needed. It creates a connection just between the SkyQ box and the booster, does not act as a WiFi booster for other devices. Hope this helps other SkyQ users with similar problems

Thanks. Interesting

and you didn't even have to do a wifi network reset on the Q to prep it? Just hit the WPS buttons?

@Chodley 

Sorry wasn't clear on that.  Had to reconnect SkyQ box to our vodafone router, which meant going to settings, network connections and reset and putting in vodafone password for 'hopefully' the last time. Really happy now that its working fine, assume SkyQ box now has its own dedicated link back to router with nothing else interfering with signal. Wish I could have found this solution two years ago! 

This message was authored by at0m1cb10nde This message was authored by: at0m1cb10nde

We switched to fibre a few months ago and was a faff getting it installed - there's a brick wall between the router and Q box which we worried about but worked fine for a few months then all of a sudden started losing connection when watching App channels. It would disconnect and be unable to reconnect for ages then just reconnect itself randomly. It started doing this more regularly in the last week since neighbours have had fibre funnily enough and now it's almost impossible to watch anything.

@at0m1cb10nde 

Would suggest going the booster route mentioned in my post above, definitely works.  Can buy them on amazon for £70, but Sky were happy to send us one, as we'd had so many problems and had tried so many workarounds which didn't work! 

This message was authored by sugerbabe This message was authored by: sugerbabe

Having the same issue with my sky q box. Been working for years with no issues. I up graded my virgin Internet box to Hub5. Now it keeps losing connection. I have to reset it every time I turn my box. So frustrating!

Only way I've seen/read  a solution is a  TP link -   please help 😩  My tub is to far away to reach sky box 

This message was authored by sugerbabe This message was authored by: sugerbabe

Having the same issue with my sky q box. Been working for years with no issues. I up graded my virgin Internet box to Hub5. Now it keeps losing connection. I have to reset it every time I turn my box. So frustrating!

Only way I've seen/read  a solution is a  TP link -   please help 😩

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@sugerbabe wrote:

Only way I've seen/read  a solution is a  TP link -   please help 😩

Try a TPLink?

This message was authored by vickylou01 This message was authored by: vickylou01

I have moved one of my bt discs next to my sky box and have linked them by Ethernet cable. The sky box has not lost connection since! I think the sky box is now only compatible via WiFi to Sky's own internet hub 😞

@sugerbabe 

The Sky booster we have used has worked since we installed it,  not lost connection once. Would recommend asking Sky for one, see thread of 15/12.

This message was authored by Spitty30 This message was authored by: Spitty30

We have the sky booster too now and had no loss of connection since installation which tricks the sky box into thinking we are with sky broadband they said. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion