Discussion topic: Sky Q box regulary loses internet connection.

This message was authored by Neil+of+Yapton This message was authored by: Neil+of+Yapton

Re: Sky Q box regulary loses internet connection.

Hi we are on PlusNet broadband, recently the SkyQ box has been losing wifi connectivity dozens of times a day, no other device has a problem. I've now run a cable into the router and last night all was fine, today my wife has mentioned problems with wifi. I've done a Speedtest and it registers between fail to test, to maybe 0.5mbps. When I disconnect the cable it goes back to its more normal 38 mbps. Put the cable back in and it slows down again. I've done a software update on the SkyQ box, rebooted etc but the same situation. Any ideas? 

This message was authored by Gaz1 This message was authored by: Gaz1

@Neil+of+Yapton 

Just need to clarify a few things...I got the bit with SkyQ dropping out and other devices working fine.. Thats what this thread is all about so a good start.

'Wife mentions problems with the WiFi'...problems with what from the Wifi, phone, laptop,skyQ etc?

Speedtest fail....is that a test done from your phone for example measuring the speed from your Router / Hub?

And the 'Run a cable'..is that run an ethernet cable from your Hub to the SkyQ?

This message was authored by Finwhale This message was authored by: Finwhale

I re-set the sky box a few days ago it was fine for three days then internet connection dropped again. Yesterday the 27th I plugged an Ethernet cable from the router to the sky Q box ((3 feet away) I'm hoping this will resolve my problem, fingers crossed. 

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Finwhale wrote:

I re-set the sky box a few days ago it was fine for three days then internet connection dropped again. Yesterday the 27th I plugged an Ethernet cable from the router to the sky Q box ((3 feet away) I'm hoping this will resolve my problem, fingers crossed. 

And reset the network to use ethernet?

Disabled wifi?

Disabled Wi-Fi?

No I didn't re-set I just plugged the cable in so far so good 

This message was authored by Frewbhoy82 This message was authored by: Frewbhoy82

I am having the same issue and have sky as my internet provider so even that isn't the answer. 

I have had a new router sent out the lot but still no joy, got a WiFi booster still the same the service is getting more expensive but the standard is slipping well below what you are paying for. 

@Frewbhoy82 wrote:

I am having the same issue and have sky as my internet provider so even that isn't the answer. 

I have had a new router sent out the lot but still no joy, got a WiFi booster still the same the service is getting more expensive but the standard is slipping well below what you are paying for. 

Try this?

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Broadband-not-connecting-to-sky-Q-box/m-p/4500427/highlight/true#...

• I'm with plusnet I am supposed to get up to 50mbs but it usually works at about 38, I was having frequent sky box dropouts so I plugged the router directly into the sky box so far so good. Sadly plusnet in my area can only offer up to 50 but I'm told there is a rollout due in a yr or so to offer full fibre, fingers crossed. 

That solved the issue for me my router is 2 feet away from sky box I plugged in an Ethernet cable so far so good. 

@Neil+of+Yapton wrote:

Hi we are on PlusNet broadband, recently the SkyQ box has been losing wifi connectivity dozens of times a day, no other device has a problem. I've now run a cable into the router and last night all was fine, today my wife has mentioned problems with wifi. I've done a Speedtest and it registers between fail to test, to maybe 0.5mbps. When I disconnect the cable it goes back to its more normal 38 mbps. Put the cable back in and it slows down again. I've done a software update on the SkyQ box, rebooted etc but the same situation. Any ideas? 

On this one, don't lnow if it's resolved now, but two posaibilities come to mind;

1. The Q box was known for spamming networks with broadcast packets. Some people on here with deep networking skills and analysis tools used to show examples but they don't tend to post any more since Sky seemed to have largely fixed it. Maybe it's doing somethinh like that and overloading the router.

2. it was downloading something and maxing our your internet connection.

This message was authored by Datson85 This message was authored by: Datson85

We had an engineer out last week and so far touch wood no further issues. 
He Ethernet cables off my router a sky booster and then connected the main q box to the booster via sky Wi-Fi setting and added an extra booster in the house for the mini box and fingers crossed it's solved all the issues I was having with dropping out.

@Datson85 wrote:

We had an engineer out last week and so far touch wood no further issues. 
He Ethernet cables off my router a sky booster and then connected the main q box to the booster via sky Wi-Fi setting and added an extra booster in the house for the mini box and fingers crossed it's solved all the issues I was having with dropping out.

How far apart did he put the booster from the router?

This message was authored by Datson85 This message was authored by: Datson85

Its on the same unit just the other end so about 50cms apart. It's a BT Hub and Ethernet cable to the booster and then Wi-Fi linked via the WPS button to the sky Q box under the sky Wi-Fi option. Hope that's made sense, 

@Datson85 wrote:

Its on the same unit just the other end so about 50cms apart. It's a BT Hub and Ethernet cable to the booster and then Wi-Fi linked via the WPS button to the sky Q box under the sky Wi-Fi option. Hope that's made sense, 

Ah yeah - that's probably worth doing then in spite of the close proximity.

I would check the BT router and Booster aren't competing on the same wifi channel.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion