Discussion topic: Sky Q box regulary loses internet connection.

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Re: Sky Q box regulary loses internet connection.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

A mesh is fine if you have sky broadband and even if you're not, as per the above, I actually use my mesh (via ethernet) and get a great connection. Had to use powerlines for the minis though.

and if it's your property, you can always run ethernet, just depends how much work you want to put into it 😉

This message was authored by seasider69 This message was authored by: seasider69

I can't get under the floorboards i'm afraid.

Using @Gaz1 suggestion above i'm connecting my powerlines via a different router. I have a TP-LInk I used to use as my Virgin router was so shocking.

So BT to TP-Link to Powerlines. Will see how that goes. Otherwise i'm going for the extender option.

This message was authored by Gaz1 This message was authored by: Gaz1

The SkyQ streaming of Netflix, Prime and catchup etc only requires about 25 Mbps.

So it's not essential to have a hard wired connection. It's only really beneficial if you have a poor wifi signal near your SkyQ.

My Virgin Hub 5 is upstairs in the office. That is connected to the TP-Link range extender in the hall downstairs and the SkyQ subsequently connected to that which is in the front room.

One important thing to note......when you set up a range extender and this may be the same with Powerlines you have to change the name of the extender. When initially connected it will take and show up in networks available with the same name as the router. This means that you will not be sure if you are connecting to the Router (and experiencing the same problems) or the extender.

So during the extender set up on my PC I changed it to TP-Link1. Then when searching the networks for SkyQ and TP-Link1 appears i connect to that and not the Virgin9*****7 for example.

This message was authored by RRB1 This message was authored by: RRB1

Makes no difference as we are on Sky broadband and get this issue several times daily 

This message was authored by Mazza1 This message was authored by: Mazza1

Update:

I didn't want to jinx myself so have waited a while before updating to see how it went, but I bought the exact same extender as @Gaz1 suggested.  I disconnected the Sky booster, connected the extender to the Sky router using the WPS buttons (we have fibre to premises and the router is located in the office upstairs with the extender placed halfway down the stairway) and then the Sky Q box to the extender using the WPS buttons. As I used the WPS buttons to connect the extender to the router, the network name was automatically created as the Sky network name_EXT (e.g. SKY12345_EXT). I have then connected all our other devices to the extender and voilà, it has worked!!! We have had a stable connection ever since and our phones have stayed connected when the Sky Q box has been turned on 😃 @Gaz1 you are well and truly my hero 😂  I must have spent in excess of 50 hours trying to sort this out 🙈 and was well and truly at the end of my tether!

I just want to check whether it is correct that I have had to connect all devices to the extender, even ones which are closer to the router? Our printer was connected to the main router but I couldn't print until I connected it to the extender as my devices couldn't communicate with it. Is this correct? This fix has even solved our Ring doorbell battery draining issue as there is now a stable connection and the doorbell isn't having to constantly reconnect to the wi-fi and, therefore, drain the battery. Our mini box is also connected again now.

I have kept my engineer appointment tomorrow so that I can feed back to them and see what they have to say about it.

Thanks again to all that have helped me find this solution. Hopefully, this thread can help others save their sanity!!!

I would have thought the traffic between printer (often broadcast stuff announcing its existence) and other devices would make it through the extender seamlessly but it appears not. I wonder if there's any kind of config to change that behaviour...

But if you're like me, you'll want to leave well alone now it's working.

@Mazza1Great news to hear my cunning solution has worked for you too. 

However, I am surprised that you have had to connect your other devices to the Extender. Inherently the Known fault was between SkyQ and certain Routers / Hubs. Theoretically your Printer, Ring door bell etc should work connected direct to your Router.

It was down to the fact my MacBook, phone and Nest all stayed connected via my Hub and only SkyQ loosing connection that lead to diagnosing it was SkyQ - Hub connection problem.

If you cannot connect any devices to the router with a stable connection then there must be a fault with the Actual Router itself.

It is worth trying to connect these other devices direct to the Router now that SkyQ is not using it. It may well be that when the Router was loosing its connection it was throwing the others out too.

Keep us posted...

I think they work through the router but can't see his printer when he connects that to the extender

This message was authored by Mazza1 This message was authored by: Mazza1

@Gaz1 @Chodley  the other devices connect to the main router and can see the printer but won't communicate with it. It's like they all have to go through the same point to actually 'speak' with each other 🤷🏻‍♀️

The Ring doorbell would connect to the router but the signal wasn't very good (even when we had BT FTP with 3 booster discs!). I replaced the battery thinking it was that as it wasn't recharging enough through the trickle charge, but then realised that it was the poor wi-fi signal. I guess it must have been constantly reconnecting and, therefore, draining the battery, which the trickle charge through the electric wiring couldn't recharge fast enough. It's been absolutely fine since installing the TP-Link and keeps itself charged 😃

I told the last Sky engineer that came out that I had sorted it from your solution but wanted to check all was ok as it was. He said, if sorted, don't change it! He was also surprised that the previous engineers didn't offer to hardwire everything. He said they probably didn't want the hassle 😖 It's good to know that they can actually do that and you don't have to do it yourself. Although it would be better hardwired, they would have to do that much drilling inside and we would have a lot of cable on show, so I'll keep that as a backup if this solution doesn't remain stable.

I asked why, when there are a lot of people experiencing similar issues, they don't suggest this type of solution and he said Sky can't promote third party equipment! It's insane as we had problems since we moved to Sky broadband on 6th Dec, have spent hours either on the phone with Sky support or my own time trying to find a solution, had three engineers attend the house, swapped 3 x Sky Q boxes, 3 x routers, 3 x Sky boosters and at least 1 x mini box and all at a time of year when you really don't have the time and really want the Internet working!!! How can this be cost effective to Sky, let alone be good customer service?!? I literally went onto Argos after reading your post with the solution, ordered the extender, collected the next morning and installed and all sorted!

Thanks again so much. I feel stupid that it was such a simple fix and the only reason I didn't look at something like that before, is because I had bought a different brand of extender in the past which didn't make any difference, so I'm really impressed with this little gadget 😃

As @Chodley said, I would like to look at the config to get it all working seamlessly as one mesh (at the moment, according to the Sky engineer, I have two separate meshes somehow working together) so that any mobile devices will just connect to the nearest router/extender rather than all going through the extender, but I'm reluctant to touch it now as it's working. If I brave it any day I will let you know 😂

This message was authored by Missing+a+channel This message was authored by: Missing+a+channel

How do you upgrade your sky q box? I live in Jersey and we don't have the option to have sky broadband as it isn't available here. Currently trying to watch criminal Record in apple TV And it keeps buffering. It's ridiculous given how expensive Sky is

You can upgrade your SkyQ box, but its more for storage capacity than for bandwidth. You didnt state what or who your ISP is just that you cannot have Sky Broadband so ill assume you have Broadband from a different provider.

You can check in settings if you have the latest update but i'm pretty sure they are set for Auto Updates.

If you having problems with buffering then I would check the internet speeds in the room with your SkyQ box. Either do it with a mobile phone or laptop by going to 'Speedtest.net'. Or, if you have Netflix it has a free speed test withing the Settings/Network.

**This is obviously if your SkyQ is connected via Wi-Fi**

The bandwidth requirement for streaming is suprisingly low. So 25+ Mbps is sufficient.

This message was authored by Missing+a+channel This message was authored by: Missing+a+channel

My ISP is with a local provider called JT. I'm connected through WiFi, and I'm not the only person over here who has issues. It's ridiculous. 

Right,  Just to clarify....You have a Main Router / Hub inside the house and your SkyQ is connected via that with Wi-Fi?

Yes, my router is about 1.5m away from the sky q box

I would use ethernet for 1.5m. Way more stable.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion