Discussion topic: Sky Q box not connecting to gigaclear broadband.

This message was authored by Woz238 This message was authored by: Woz238

Re: Sky Q box not connecting to gigaclear broadband.

Ok, so after a couple of days of stability (probably more luck than settings) I am now getting Mini Boxes becoming 'unconnected' to the Main Q Box (Network Connection on the Sky Q generated mesh remains connected) and I have to 'Reactivate' the Mini.  This appears to initiate a re-start of the Mini Box and once restarted, it connects by itself?  **bleep**?

Any Ideas how I can keep the Mini connected to the Main Q Box (as the Network connection remains good)?

I have Main Q connected on Ethernet to Gigaclear Router, Mini's on Sky Q generated Mesh, 2.4 off / 5 on (Channel 36), Gigaclear on 2.4 / 5 but NOT on Channel 36.  Mini's all show up on Router as being connected on Ethernet (I guess as they connect to Main Q and it is connected on Ethernet) and have Static IPs assigned - as does the Main Q.

Sky Q V3
LG OLED TV
Samsung SoundBar
This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Yeah this is where I got to with my system and someone would walk, burp or produce flatulence within 20 nautical miles of the Q and that would be enough to disconnect the minis and a Reactivate was needed. I then installed powerlines (one at each mini, one at the Q, small cheap eth switch between the powerline and Q to allow for the ethernet out to the internet, wifi disabled on all) and life has been all rainbows and unicorns ever since.

When you say you have used Powerline - have you got the Q Main connected to a Switch and the Powerline with the Switch connected to the Router (rather than the Q Main being connected to Router)?

And all WiFi Off on Q Main / Mini's ?

Sky Q V3
LG OLED TV
Samsung SoundBar
This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Woz238 wrote:

When you say you have used Powerline - have you got the Q Main connected to a Switch and the Powerline with the Switch connected to the Router (rather than the Q Main being connected to Router)?

And all WiFi Off on Q Main / Mini's ?

I am translating this a bit as my setup involves a sneaky wifi mesh and another switch but yes;

mini->powerline->powerline->switch port1
Q->switch port2

Switch port3->router

So early March I had a Sky Engineer visit and they confirmed that all Mini-Boxes had good signal and were within range.  Therefore the options were (are) limited.  I was offered a new box (but that means losing all the saved recordings we have) or the installation of a Booster to 'fool' the Q into thinking we have Sky Broadband.  I went with the Booster as I couldn't see what difference a like-for-like box would have other than us losing saved recordings.

The Q main was wire connected so that was taken out and put into the Sky Booster and the Q main then connected via WiFi to the Booster (which it now thinks is Sky Broadband) and for the first few days.....  all good.

Had that setup a month now and;

Twice the Main Q box has lost 'Network Connection' yet the booster is literally above it.

Four times we have had Mini Boxes showing both Network and Connection to Sky Q boxes ticked but the caption "You Can't watch TV at the moment as there is a connection problem" (essentially a Mini Box restart is required to get it working again)

Twice we have had issue MR104 (and as above, a Mini Box restart is required to get it working again).

This is F'kin riddiculous from a Sky Product.....  Going to get another Engineer visit - the Booster (if anything) has made matters worse - they need to resolve this.  I'm not buying Powerline to fix THEIR issues......

Sky Q V3
LG OLED TV
Samsung SoundBar

And its getting worse.  Every Mini (we have 4 but obviously only 2 can be 'on' at once) was either MR104 or 'No Connection' fault last night, I reconnected them all and 2 were MR104 again this AM.

SKY - SORT THIS OUT ! 

Or I will book an engineer to come out and do the same pointless checks every two weeks and waste more and more of your time - until we get a product that is fit for purpose (and reflective of the charges you levy).

Sky Q V3
LG OLED TV
Samsung SoundBar

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion