Discussion topic: Sky Q box not connecting to gigaclear broadband.

This message was authored by SuzB1968 This message was authored by: SuzB1968

Sky Q box not connecting to gigaclear broadband.

we have tried everything from rebooting to restarting each Q box and still drops out.  The broadband connection is fine.

All Replies

This message was authored by Ecosse This message was authored by: Ecosse

Re: Sky Q box not connecting to gigaclear broadband.

Remember to ensure that the router is outputting on the 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi protocol, as well as 5Ghz and so on - Sky Q only connects on the 2.4Ghz for 3rd party providers.

This link may be helpful.

====================================================
Samsung UE49MU7070XX - Samsung MS550 Soundbar+ with 9000S Rears
Sky Q 2Tb + 3 Minis - BT Full Fibre 900
This message was authored by Richard+M+1 This message was authored by: Richard+M+1

I've also recently switched from Sky (actually Now) broadband to Gigaclear.

I've found the Sky Q Minis to be tempramental beasts even with a Sky router. I think the Sky Q-to-Sky-Q mesh is used to send the video, but everything else (including the instructions to pause/skip/etc) is sent via the home wifi network. I found that for a Sky Q Mini which had line of sight to another Sky Q Mini, but  had a poor wifi connection to the router, would constantly drop out.

With Gigaclear it all worked great (and the Sky Q Mini furthest from the router became a lot more responsive) because it was near one of the Gigaclear Linksys Velop mesh nodes UNTIL I enabled the Velop's guest network and then the Sky Q died again.

So, TLDR; in my experience Sky Q Minis work great connected to a Gigaclear Linksys Velop-powered wifi network provided you keep the guest network turned off. Hopefully this helps someone! 

This message was authored by Will32 This message was authored by: Will32

In 2 different houses that use Gigaclear recently both sky q mini boxes keeps disconnecting. No matter what I do and I know what I'm doing with 2.4 & 5 etc and bear in mind in one of the houses the main and mini box are wired! How can the connection be dropping if wired? Is this a Gigaclear problem or Sky?

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Will32 wrote:

How can the connection be dropping if wired? 

Is wifi disabled on both boxes?

This message was authored by Will32 This message was authored by: Will32

Yes have disabled WiFi in hidden menu

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@Will32 wrote:

Yes have disabled WiFi in hidden menu

Hmm. Only had an occasional dropout with that config. Fixed with a power cycle on the mini or "reactivate" on the network menu.

This message was authored by BP77 This message was authored by: BP77

@Will32 did you get to the bottom of this issue. I am at my wits end with the same problem and about to cancel my Sky subscription after 24 years! My Sky Q and mini boxes are quite old and I wonder if there is any point in getting them replaced.

This message was authored by Nick79 This message was authored by: Nick79

There is some incompatibility between Sky Q and Gigaclear that has recently arisen.  Used to work fine for me but now does not work - Sky blames Gigaclear and Gigaclear blames Sky.  Sky Q box connects to router but cannot connect to Internet (despite all other devices connecting to Internat through router just fine.). Anyone experience of fixing this ?

This message was authored by The+Wild+House This message was authored by: The+Wild+House

Interesting thread. We're just about to move to a village which has gigaclear but having been a Sky Plus subscriber with the broadband package I'm loathe to move to anything that might interfere with that. I've read great reports about gigacler's speed and have friends in the Cotswolds who swear by it, but this thread indicating incompatability with the two makes me nervous.

This message was authored by Woz238 This message was authored by: Woz238

I was having issues with Mini Boxes dropping out previously (with Sky Ultrfast Broadband) but I assigned Static IPs and all was well.

I have just had Gigaclear Fibre installed as Sky prices are riddiculous and already I am getting Mini Boxes saying they are connected but unable to watch TV, having no connection, needing to be rebooted to get connection etc etc.  I have assigned static IPs already too.

The Main Sky Q box is connected via cable to the main Router, and we have a second Node too.  

Currently, I have changed the 5Ghz Channel to 44 on the Sky Boxes to see if that makes a difference...

Any help / tips or solutions would be appreciated.

Sky Q V3
LG OLED TV
Samsung SoundBar
This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@Woz238 wrote:

I was having issues with Mini Boxes dropping out previously (with Sky Ultrfast Broadband) but I assigned Static IPs and all was well.

I have just had Gigaclear Fibre installed as Sky prices are riddiculous and already I am getting Mini Boxes saying they are connected but unable to watch TV, having no connection, needing to be rebooted to get connection etc etc.  I have assigned static IPs already too.

The Main Sky Q box is connected via cable to the main Router, and we have a second Node too.  

Currently, I have changed the 5Ghz Channel to 44 on the Sky Boxes to see if that makes a difference...

Any help / tips or solutions would be appreciated.

@Woz238 When you had Sky as your ISP the Q boxes formed a mesh system which included the router so used your home Wifi. Now you have left Sky the this doesnt happen and the mini boxes will only connect to the main Q box by wifi to form a mesh so will not use your home wifi but the signal from the Q box when you set you resetr your system due to changing ISP did you then connect the mini boxes to the main box by the WPS button 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by BP77 This message was authored by: BP77

done all that and have had another engineer who added a booster between two of the mini-boxes (when previous engineers said that wasn't necessary and removed them! ) System is still fickle, but less so. The furthest mini box still falls out but qyuickly re-connects when I follow the prompts to reset. Working but still wrong.

This message was authored by Woz238 This message was authored by: Woz238

Thanks Laing1

I have connected all boxes back through WPS button to Main Box and Main Q Box remains hard wired to Router.

I had a channel clash (couldn't stop Gigaclear using Channel 44) so I lost a couple of the more distant Mini boxes.  So I put Sky Q back to Channel 36 (and switched off 2.4G channels) and moved Gigaclear to Channel 44.

Fingers crossed - 3 days and been stable......

Sky Q V3
LG OLED TV
Samsung SoundBar
This message was authored by Richard+M+1 This message was authored by: Richard+M+1

Turning off the Gigaclear router's guest network really helped keep my Sky Q boxes stable (no doubt due to channel clash... but no combination of manual frequency changes got it stable without turning the guest network off entirely).

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion