Discussion topic: Sky Q box keeps losing internet connection...so frustrated!

This message was authored by KShetty This message was authored by: KShetty

Sky Q box keeps losing internet connection...so frustrated!

Morning all

been a Sky customer for more than 10 years now & never faced any issues with Sky TV.

so as part of my contract renewal recently, Sky sent me their state-of-the-art Sky WiFi Max router and it has all been downhill since then. first off the bb coverage is really poor across the property despite having the Sky WiFi extender & an engineer visit to help resolve the problem.

the pressing problem at hand however, is the Sky Q box which keeps disconnecting every time the TV is switched off.

First call to the Sky technical team, they made me delete my recordings & suggested I keep it at around 50% free space. you guessed it, did not solve the problem.

Second call to the Sky technical team, they suggested running a software update on the Sky Q box. 

Current S/W version - Q270.000.10.02L(5u193h)

Current H/W version - 32B106

again did not solve the problem.

Third call to the Sky technical team, they suggested changing Eco setting on Sky Q box to Active. Ran a network scan on the box and said issues with network matching, no idea what that means. 

Anyway a Sky engineer visit has been scheduled which will not be until the end of the month!

till then it is difficult to watch any streaming as the Sky Q box keeps saying no internet connection.

never ever faced this issue with the old Sky BB router and I cannot physically run a cable as the Sky WiFi Max router is in a different room to the Sky Q box which has always been the setup.

any kind souls out there on how you managed to solve this prior to the engineer visit as it is really frustrating connecting again & again to the Sky WiFi Max router.

All Replies

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Re: Sky Q box keeps losing internet connection...so frustrated!

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@KShetty what broadband extenders do you have is it the SE210's if so they are not compatible with the new Sky Max router(the max router uses pods) so this may be where all your problems stem from. The engineer should hopefully be able to help with the problems

actually thinking about it the extenders can still be used but you need to connect them to the main Q box and then the mini boxes and not to the router 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
KShetty
Topic Author

@Laing1 - Yes I should have been more precise. Sky sent me the AS924B144E pod, which anyway has not helped at all with the BB coverage within the property. As far as I can see on the MySky app, the Sky Q box is not using the pod. Not sure what is the problem here. I guess I am going to have to tell Sky to replace the router or put me back on the old router.

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@KShetty wrote:

@Laing1 - Yes I should have been more precise. Sky sent me the AS924B144E pod, which anyway has not helped at all with the BB coverage within the property. As far as I can see on the MySky app, the Sky Q box is not using the pod. Not sure what is the problem here. I guess I am going to have to tell Sky to replace the router or put me back on the old router.

@KShetty The Sky max router unfortunately doesn't work the same as the SR203 or the Q hub did where they would form a mesh. The Sky max router works as a third party router would, and I think it only connects to the Q box by way of  2.4Ghz. With the mesh being generated by the Q box and any mini boxes. I would expect the main box to connect to the pod but you probably wont be able to connect it by using the WPS button you would need to go through the network connection and find the ssid and use this and the password 

It may be better to go back to the older Sr203 router unless the engineer can sort something 

Out of interest do  have any mini boxes if so how many  ? 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
KShetty
Topic Author

@Laing1 - I don't think you can force devices to use the pod, it happens automatically depending on proximity I am guessing. so in my case I cannot make the Sky Q box use the pod...guess I am left at the mercy of the Sky engineer and hopefully he could solve this.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion