Discussion topic: Sky Q box has deleted hours of recordings overnight

This message was authored by Hotchip81 This message was authored by: Hotchip81

Sky Q box has deleted hours of recordings overnight

I've seen hours of recordings deleted overnight. It can't be a space issue as hours ans hours have gone all at once. All that's lefts if a few recordings done recently. Is this a fault in the Sky Q box? Can I get them back or have they gone forever? They've been saved for a few years so why have they just disappeared?!

All Replies

This message was authored by AndrueCope This message was authored by: AndrueCope

Re: Sky Q box has deleted hours of recordings overnight

@Hotchip81 wrote:

I've seen hours of recordings deleted overnight. It can't be a space issue as hours ans hours have gone all at once. All that's lefts if a few recordings done recently. Is this a fault in the Sky Q box? Can I get them back or have they gone forever? They've been saved for a few years so why have they just disappeared?!

Could be a fault but seems unlikely. I doubt you'll be able to get them back. Deleted recordings should never have been considered 'saved'. They have always been at risk of reclamation. If you wanted to keep something you shouldn't delete it, you should use the 'Keep' option.

Hotchip81
Topic Author

I didn't delete them. They are not even in the deleted section. They've just disappeared. Hours of recordings 

This message was authored by ThePope27 This message was authored by: ThePope27

Hi @Hotchip81,

Do you have any mini boxes in the house as someone one that uses the mini box could have deleted them as they may not have known it shares the recordings across all boxes.

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN
Hotchip81
Topic Author

Thank you, but no we just have the one Q box

@Hotchip81

I would monitor it incase it happens again, It could be a sign of a faulty drive in the box.

________________________________________________________________________________________
Sky Q 2TB v2 Box + 2 Mini Boxes - Brsk BetterNet1000 FTTP, WatchGuard M400 Firewall, Plume Mesh

Sky Signature + Ultimate TV Pack, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky Kids, TNT Sports, MUTV, LFCTV, Racing TV, Premier Sports, DAZN
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Hotchip81 

A single hard drive cannot ever provide guaranteed storage, and unfortunately there's no recovery mechanism as they aren't stored anywhere else.

Sky box hard drives are to facilitate time-shifted viewing and downloading,  rather than long-term archiving.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Hotchip81
Topic Author

So why has this all of a sudden happened after years? Is it a fault?

@Hotchip81,

Hard Drives degrade over time.

If it's one of the OG Q boxes I would get it replaced

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Are they recordings from the TV Guide or downloads from On Demand? The latter can disappear if they expire.

Hotchip81
Topic Author

All various tv recordings, different channels inc bbc, and some Sky ones.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion