Discussion topic: Sky Q box crashing & box fan spinning loudly - EE Broadband

This message was authored by Kecllm This message was authored by: Kecllm

Re: Sky Q whirring or making noises over night - EE Broadband

Hello 

I have EE/BT broadband and my sky Q. Box keeps whirling and I have to disconnect the power to re-boot to system.  My mini box has stopped working altogether and I have an engineer coming Saturday for that.

i have sent multiple new boxes and the same issue reoccurs very quickly.

im can experience the problem 2/3 times a day most mornings I start with the issue.

Very frustrating.....please help!

This message was authored by crookie67 This message was authored by: crookie67

I am also having the same issue>

Sky 2tb box connected via etherent to EE smart wifi plus router.  Box freezes every night and only a power off/on restarts it.

Sky helpline still deny knowing anything about this issue.  I have an open complaint reference CRF9583045.

About to get my third new box, although this seems futile.

Come on Sky - you need to get on to this issue!

This message was authored by Raysgroovy81 This message was authored by: Raysgroovy81

Hi @Daniel-F ,

Further crash information for you.

I've now provided more than a month's worth of timestamps and not seen any feedback. If this is still being investigated could somebody please advise?

Happy to provide further assistance but if Sky are unable to assist can this be confirmed to the number of frustrated customers within this forum.

Thanks

1. Can you let me know the EE router model you have? EE Smart Hub Plus SH31B
  2. Is this connected via ethernet or WiFi? Set up via Ethernet
  3. Are you using any other network boosting features, such as a mesh? EE Smart Wifi Plus - extenders (2) SW30A
  4. What is your Sky Q box hardware & Software version? - This can be found by pressing Home > going into settings > going to system info.  Please only provide the hardware version and software version exactly how it's shown on screen. 32B12D, Q270.000.10.02L (5u193hm)
  5. At what time does the Sky Q box start acting up with the noise? ideally we want some exact time stamps on this.  See daily record below
  6. When the fans are wirring, can you still navigate the Sky Q menus or is it inoperable? Completely inoperable, will not even switch off using the power button on the front - has to be power cycled.
  7. Is there a specific screen you are seeing on your Sky TV everytime this occurs? If occurs overnight, will not turn on so no screen. When it happens whilst the box is in use the picture freezes with a pink bleed, sometimes split screen - a high frquency repeated noise

Recent crashes

31/08/2024 - 15:43

01/09/2024 - 10:00, 20:45, 23:28

02/09/2024 - 01:43

03/09/2024 - None

04/09/2024 - None

05/09/2024 - 14:59, 18:00

06/09/2024 - None

07/09/2024 - 12:55

08/09/2024 - None

09/09/2024 - 09:55, 14:23

10/09/2024 - None

11/09/2024 - 18:05

12/09/2024 - pre-06:00

13/09/2024 - 14:06

14/09/2024 - None

15/08/2024 - 13:23, 16:02, 22:48

16/09/2024 - overnight

17/09/2024 - 12:00, 15:28, 16:32

18/09/2024 - overnight

19/09/3024 - 14:38

20/09/2024 - 12:28, 16:46, 19:38

21/09/2024 - 13:39

22/09/2024 - 23:46

23/09/2024 - pre 12:00

24/09/2024 - None

25/09/2024 - None

26/09/2024 - 17:22

27/09/2024 - 01:30, pre 07:00

28/09/2024 - 15:31

29/09/2024 - None

30/09/2024 - None

01/10/2024 - 14:26

02/10/2024 - 18:35

03/10/2024 - approx 09:00, 15:15

Points to note

• Main Q Box has been connected via Ethernet to the hub both through a switch and directly - crashes still occur.
  • I have tried disconnecting the box from Ethernet and connecting via Wi-Fi only - crashes still occur.
  • Box will not retain a Wi-Fi connection when placed into standby mode, when turned back on I receive a message advising no network connection
  • None of my boxes use Wi-Fi, all are connected via cat5 Ethernet.
This message was authored by MarkJordan This message was authored by: MarkJordan

@Daniel-F 

I think they are hoping we will go away. I have packed mine up as it's unusable. 

So disappointing after over 20years. 

I can't justify this level of service

Still will save me over £80 a month after paying for now tv to watch sport 

This message was authored by TimothyT This message was authored by: TimothyT

Hello All, 

I have only just found this thread. I have the SKY T TB Q box and two mini boxes. The fault only started when I changed over from BT to EE. Since I have had all the Sky Equipment replaced and have also replaced the EE Hub and three extenders, we only live in a small semi detatched house yet we get so many spots in the house without connection. I have always had the main box hard wired as it always needed it for the speed on connection.   I am going to unplug the ethernet and see if that works. The Smart Hub is set to WIFI 6 Performance as this is the only way that you can get the speed of over 900mbps, so will see if that sort of works today. The issue for me is always overnight when the main box is in standby and we try to watch on the mini boxes. We often wake up over night 1 - 4 am and its 1-30 times that it will actually work, sometimes its just the main box that needs restarting fully, sometimes its the mini boxes fully and sometimes its everything Skq Q main box, Sky Q Mini Boxes and then EE Smart Hub 6 and 3 Wifi Extenders. 

TIm

Daniel-F
Topic Author
This message was authored by Daniel-F This message was authored by: Daniel-F

Posted by a Sky employee

@Daniel-F wrote:

Hi all,

As teams continue to investigate this we require more examples from users to help build a better picture of what you are seeing.  

If you are are still seeing this issue please provide us with any fresh examples you experience.  This includes if you have reported this before.

We are looking for:

1. Can you let me know the EE router model you have?
  2. Is this connected via ethernet or WiFi?
  3. Are you using any other network boosting features, such as a mesh?
  4. What is your Sky Q box hardware & Software version? - This can be found by pressing Home > going into settings > going to system info.  Please only provide the hardware version and software version exactly how it's shown on screen.
  5. At what time does the Sky Q box start acting up with the noise? ideally we want some exact time stamps on this
  6. When the fans are wirring, can you still navigate the Sky Q menus or is it inoperable? 
  7. Is there a specific screen you are seeing on your Sky TV everytime this occurs?

Thanks,

Hi all,

We've not forgotten about this & still keen for more user examples filled out with the information I have asked for in the quoted post above. This is including if you have historically provided something but are still finding the issue happening.

In order for us to take your examples forward we need the full information requested above otherwise it will not be possible for engineers to investigate.

Daniel
Community Moderator
This message was authored by MarkJordan This message was authored by: MarkJordan

@Daniel-F 

Surely there has been dozens of crashes reported going back many weeks. 

This very much seems like it's not important and is being kicked down the street. 

This message was authored by Pete-max This message was authored by: Pete-max

All the information you are asking for has been supplied by several customers including myself! What is going on at Sky? Does anyone give a dam at Sky? 

Daniel-F
Topic Author
This message was authored by Daniel-F This message was authored by: Daniel-F Answer

Posted by a Sky employee

As previously mentioned, teams have been unable to replicate this issue. 

We do not however want to give up on this and are keen to continue to investigate.  

In order to do this we require examples from within the last 30 days.

We need all the questions below answered fully before we can take an example forward to the engineers to investigate the problem:

1. Can you let me know the EE router model you have?
  2. Is this connected via ethernet or WiFi?
  3. Are you using any other network boosting features, such as a mesh?
  4. What is your Sky Q box hardware & Software version? - This can be found by pressing Home > going into settings > going to system info.  Please only provide the hardware version and software version exactly how it's shown on screen.
  5. At what time does the Sky Q box start acting up with the noise? We require an exact date & timestamp of when this has happened
  6. When the fans are wirring, can you still navigate the Sky Q menus or is it inoperable? 
  7. Is there a specific screen you are seeing on your Sky TV everytime this occurs?

If you have previously provided an example however are still experiencing the problem, you can still assist on this by providing the new example details.

Daniel
Community Moderator

@Daniel-F 

With the greatest respect this not 'an answer'

You have had so many upto date detailed replies. 

The only reason that they are more than 30 days old is that they are not being dealt with promptly.

Can you confirm that suffering this issue for many months idle sufficient to justify early cancellation of my contract

This message was authored by crookie67 This message was authored by: crookie67

It's disappointing that Sky are still going with this excuse. When my Sky engineer came out for the third time, he was fully aware of the issue and advised there was no point replacing the box for a third time. 

He said that EE had not provided Sky with the WiFi 6 router for compatibility testing. His advice was to get a BT smart hub 2 as this had been tested and works without issue. 

I appreciate that the solution likely sits with Sky and EE patching their software, but the first step in addressing this issue is to admit there is an issue!  The weight of feedback already provided should be enough to galvanise Sky into action. 

I'm waiting on a smart hub 2 to be delivered which I'm sure will correct the problem...

This message was authored by TimothyT This message was authored by: TimothyT

Hi Daniel,

I will get all the information and send it to you. 

After messing about with different setting and so on over the past few weeks, then actually reading this afterwards I can tell you what I have found.

The changes that I made this week is the following, 

Removing the Ethernet cable that was connected from the main sky q box, then ensuring that it had a strong connection to the router. 

This improved the connection with one of the Sky Mini Boxes and it was able to connect with the Main Box during the night. However the other one still had issues. 

I then changed the setting on the main box to Always on and stopped it going into standby over night. I had to change the remote setting also, this was to stop the box going into standby when turning the main box TV off. 

Doing these two things has improved things greatly. Both boxes will now connect to the main box all night long and we have not had the box making a loud noise since. 

I would think that if you make the set up wired to the main box and wireless to the mini boxes. If you then turn the main box into standby and then turn on the mini box I would say that it will initiate the fault. But thats just my theory with limited IT knowledge....  

TIm Turner.

I will get all the info for you in the next 24 hours.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@MarkJordan wrote:

@Daniel-F 

With the greatest respect this not 'an answer'

@MarkJordan 

As often happens that post has been currently marked as the answer so that new viewers to the thread should instantly see the latest update on the issue as it displays as post number 2. It's extremely likely that 'answer' will change in the future. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81

@TimothyT wrote:

This improved the connection with one of the Sky Mini Boxes and it was able to connect with the Main Box during the night. However the other one still had issues. 

I then changed the setting on the main box to Always on and stopped it going into standby over night. I had to change the remote setting also, this was to stop the box going into standby when turning the main box TV off. 

Doing these two things has improved things greatly. Both boxes will now connect to the main box all night long and we have not had the box making a loud noise since.

The main box going into deep standby from 2:45-5:45am (and the minis not being able to connect as a result) isn't a fault. It's a feature intended to save power while most people are sleeping, but it can be disabled if you still want to watch Sky at that time. It isn't related to this fault which from the info posted by others can occur at any time of day or night including when the box is active. 

@xenon81 

I appreciate that. 

My main Sky Q and 4 mini boxes all have this deactivated .

The problem to confirm has occurred day 1 and everyday since changing to WiFi 6 router with EE.

The impact of this issue will continue to grow as all BT customers are swapped to EE and this router when asking for renewal or a better deal

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion