Discussion topic: Sky Q box crashing & box fan spinning loudly - EE Broadband

This message was authored by Swadders This message was authored by: Swadders

Re: Main Sky Q box keeps freezing

Yes, it only start happening when we had to change to an EE router!

This message was authored by matchboy This message was authored by: matchboy

I do have an EE router but I've had this problem before when I was with BT, I got a new box and it was fixed - but started happening again. So it's happened with and without me having EE. Plus I think someone else has said they changed routers and it made no difference. I'm no tech guy but I don't get why the router would make any difference, it has to be a hardware problem with the boxes. Yes really frustrating!

This message was authored by Stuartroberts61 This message was authored by: Stuartroberts61

I have same issue which only started when I got the EE router. Have attached smart plug which makes easier to re-start. I have also been given a new box which made no difference. 

Daniel-F
Topic Author
This message was authored by Daniel-F This message was authored by: Daniel-F

Re: Sky Q whirring or making noises over night - EE Broadband

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi all,

We are still interested in hearing from any customers who are finding their Sky Q equipment is whirring or making noises over night whilst also being connected to EE Broadband.

Information we are looking for is in the answer to this thread but here it is again:

1. Can you let me know the EE router model you have?
  2. Are you using any other network boosting features, such as a mesh?
  3. What is your Sky Q box hardware & Software version? - This can be found by pressing Home > going into settings > going to system info.  Please only provide the hardware version and software version exactly how it's shown on screen.
  4. At what time does the Sky Q box start acting up with the noise? ideally we want some exact time stamps on this
  5. When the fans are wirring, can you still navigate the Sky Q menus or is it inoperable? 
  6. Is there a specific screen you are seeing on your Sky TV everytime this occurs?

We would appreciate any infromation you can give to help us get this investigated 🙂

Daniel
Community Moderator
This message was authored by MarkJordan This message was authored by: MarkJordan

@Daniel-F 

Hi

Thanks for taking this seriously

only since changing to EE. Previously BT. No issues hardwired for 3+ years

1 EE Smart Hub Plus. Connected to unmanaged switch and then drops to TVs Sky Q main box and 4 Sky mini boxes. Now disconnected for ALL Sky boxes. 

2 Using 3 EE Smart WiFi Plus boxes to boost wifi

3 32B106

Q270.000.08.00L(5u193c0)

4 Generally overnight. But often multiple times during the day. Only when Main box connected by Ethernet.

5 Box is inoperable. Loud fan. Unable to use box at all. Need to power cycle and it comes on fine. Does however disconnect from all 4 mini boxes each time. 

6 Black screen. No input from box to TV

Please help. Have networked my house to improve reliability of my devices 

Now pointless

Sky due for renewal soon and won't be renewing unless this resolved

Mark

This message was authored by MarkJordan This message was authored by: MarkJordan

@Daniel-F 

Any update to this

all boxes now on WiFi. 

obviously much slower and less stable. 

Will be cancelling Sky Q in Feb as basically unusable compared to wired set up pre EE router. 

Any chance that this is being taken seriously and a resolve being sorted?

Thanks

This message was authored by Jaideep2 This message was authored by: Jaideep2

Re: Sky Q box loud fan unresponsive

Hi Tom,

I have the same issue. Sky q connected to EE router via Ethernet causes sky q box to intitiate sky q box making a fan noise. Only way to watch sky is to switch off box and restart. Can I send a private message to you.

Re: My sky Q BOX KEEPS DISCONNECTING FROM MY EE BROADBAND

Plesee advise how engineer resolved this?

I presume the sky engineer resolved this and not EE?

Hi Mark,

Have you recieved an update from Sky?

@Jaideep2 

Not a sausage 

Nothings changed. Tried the Ethernet cable yesterday in main box. Crashed in 3 hours.

basically paying £120 a month for 5 unreliable doorstops. 

Roll on February 

@Daniel-F 

anything to add??

Thanks Mark for letting me know 

Daniel-F
Topic Author
This message was authored by Daniel-F This message was authored by: Daniel-F

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi all,

To update on this back office teams have been unable to replicate the issue seen within this thread. 

Since I last posted I've only seen one user example come back to me with the exact information I've asked for.  I encourage any user still experiencing the issue to please get me the following information:

1. Can you let me know the EE router model you have?
  2. Is this connected via ethernet or WiFi?
  3. Are you using any other network boosting features, such as a mesh?
  4. What is your Sky Q box hardware & Software version? - This can be found by pressing Home > going into settings > going to system info.  Please only provide the hardware version and software version exactly how it's shown on screen.
  5. At what time does the Sky Q box start acting up with the noise? ideally we want some exact time stamps on this
  6. When the fans are wirring, can you still navigate the Sky Q menus or is it inoperable? 
  7. Is there a specific screen you are seeing on your Sky TV everytime this occurs?

We would need several unique example accounts detailing the above in order to pick this up moving forward so would appreciate any further user examples.

Daniel
Community Moderator

Hi Daniel

It seems most strange that it can't be replicated by plugging a Sky Q box into a new EE router. 

If you need a timestamp. I plugged the Ethernet cable in to the main box at about 12 yesterday and it crashed by 3. 

Please can you investigate my case as it's clear and precise. 

I am not sure why I need to wait for more cases when mine is a perfect case in point

@Daniel-F 

Hi Daniel,

I have the same issue.

1. EE Smart Hub Plus Router

2. Sky Q connected by Ethernet. This causes the SKY Q Box to produce a loud fan noise

3. No 

4. SKY Q Hardware Version 32B106, Software Version Q270.000.10.02L (5u193hm)

5. This happens randonly throughout the day (every few hours) and often first thing in the morning

6. Fans are wirring, and the Sky Q menus are inoperable. Need to switch off box and restart. 

7. No specific screen

Please investigate urgently. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion