Discussion topic: Sky Q box crashing & box fan spinning loudly - EE Broadband

This message was authored by Jaideep2 This message was authored by: Jaideep2

Re: Sky Q box won’t turn on. Amber light on. Fan constantly on.

Hi Lisa,

I would be interested to know how you solved this. Please can you explain.

This message was authored by Dobbo180 This message was authored by: Dobbo180

Re: My replacement SKY Q box crashing and whirring overnight

Well I really hope I am not tempting fate here, but Sky Engineer came last thursday morning following weeks of these issues and a. replacement box sent directly by sky still suffering the same regular issues. (as i have posted in this thread previously) I am convinced it is somehow linked to EE router.

Anyway Sky engineer said he wasn't aware of any conflict issues with EE 

.He was very thorough. At the time of his visit my Sky set up  was working as it should. i had a detailed diary of every "crash" and reset carried out and photos/videos to show him. 

He did a complete system check. He checked the dish and swapped the LNB for a new one simply because the old one looked old - although it was still working. 

I had a 2TB UHD Sky Q box. He swapped that for a new box but suggested a 1TB Sky Q UHD box instead as in his experience he sees the 2TB boxes as a not more glitchy and fragile.  He assured the 4K/UHD quality was exactly the same. 

He checked through every setting and he did go into the secret setup menu (001 ) he changed the wifi to the 40mhz channel/44. The default is 80mhz/36. there are only 3 options. 

NB my box has had wired ethernet connection for years and remains on wired. I mention this as even though it's wired the engineer said the box still needs wifi connection enabled. (i guess to link to mini q box?)

In truth he was not completely confident that all these things would solve the issues but he said he had done everything he possibly could to set up a reliable working sky system. He advised me to continue to diary any further issues and report back to sky if issues persist. 

So for the last 4 days i have enjoyed sky tv. it has been used a lot!  with all the weekend sport, lots of recordings and viewing (on mini q box too) and no issues thus far.

Previously the box was crashing at least once a day, most often overnight in standby mode.

So it's a case of so far so good. Fingers crossed. 

This message was authored by RichD2 This message was authored by: RichD2

Re: Sky Q box won’t turn on. Amber light on. Fan constantly on.

For info. The problem is not resolved, just less frequent. It happens about once every fortnight which I can live with currently. I'm monitoring it. 
I'm using Wi-Fi and have Sky Broadband. 

This message was authored by Track+worker This message was authored by: Track+worker

Re: Main Sky Q box keeps freezing

I did

I gave sky 31 days notice and left their service after 20 years.

They was not helpful at all and not admitting that there is an issue with the sky 2tb boxes and the new EE router.

I changed the router and still was crashing. 

Clearly a sky issue.  Now with EE TV saving £40 a month with the full TV package and nice to have TNT sports back..

Not as refined as sky tbf but it will have to do. 

If you can leave.. I'd leave! 

This message was authored by JonB146 This message was authored by: JonB146

Yep, just changed to EE from BT and it crashed. Brand new SkyQ box has done the same thing. Clearly not a coincidence. 

This message was authored by MarkJordan This message was authored by: MarkJordan

It seems to be a bigger problem than either Sky or EE will acknowledge 

I have run my main sky q box on WiFi with 4 mini boxes on Ethernet for about 2 weeks without any issues. 

Within 24 hours of plugging Ethernet cable back into main box it becomes unresponsive with fan on constantly 

Have just spoken to someone at EE after multiple attempts who appears to know what he's talking about. 'Ah yes' he said, 'That's an incompatibility between the WiFi 6 on the router and WiFi 5 on the SkyQ box.'  Go into the hub manager 192.168.1.254 and change the wireless mode from WiFi 6 performance to WiFi 5. 
have done that and now on test.......

Well, it worked ok in the evening but had crashed overnight with the fan running this morning. 

This message was authored by MarkJordan This message was authored by: MarkJordan

That's so frustrating but it's exactly my experience too. I am fortunate to be able to use WiFi but I know you can't. Have you got the EE smart WiFi boxes. Not sure if they would help with your thick walls?

This message was authored by Track+worker This message was authored by: Track+worker

Clearly a sky q software issue. 

Tell sky if they are unable to provide you with a reliable service you will end the contract with no penalty. 

Don't let them fob you off

Re: Sky q Box Keeps Crashing & Needs Rebooting every 3-4 days

Yep, same thing. Sky sent a new box and it did exactly the same thing. Some posts are saying there's an issue with Sky Q box and the new EE routers.

This message was authored by diesel71 This message was authored by: diesel71

Im on my 3rd box after swirching to EE broadband. Years without an issue until then and now issues every morning and often a crash each evening.

Engineer booked but from what I have just read on this thread I am not expecting a positive result.

This message was authored by Dobbo180 This message was authored by: Dobbo180

Re: My sky Q BOX KEEPS DISCONNECTING FROM MY EE BROADBAND

In case you haven't seen it there is another very similar thread on this issue

It is titled:

"My replacement SKY Q box crashing and whirring overnight" 

Sorry i tried to add a link but it's not working. Just so you are aware - there are more updates on there and so far so good my issues (with which i suffered for weeks) have been resolved following an engineer visit on 20th June. 

For info. 

Daniel-F
Topic Author
This message was authored by Daniel-F This message was authored by: Daniel-F

Re: Sky Q whirring or making noises over night - EE Broadband

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi all,

Thank you all for sharing that you are having issues with your boxes & EE routers.  I've pulled together most of the user examples that I've seen from other threads into here just to keep it all together 🙂

If you are still experiencing this issue I'd love to get some individual accounts of the problem by answering the following questions for me:

1. Can you let me know the EE router model you have?
  2. Are you using any other network boosting features, such as a mesh?
  3. What is your Sky Q box hardware & Software version? - This can be found by pressing Home > going into settings > going to system info.  Please only provide the hardware version and software version exactly how it's shown on screen.
  4. At what time does the Sky Q box start acting up with the noise?
  5. When the fans are wirring, can you still navigate the Sky Q menus or is it inoperable? 
  6. Is there a specific screen you are seeing on your Sky TV everytime this occurs?

Thank you 🙂

Daniel
Community Moderator
This message was authored by Karl26 This message was authored by: Karl26

Re: Main Sky Q box keeps freezing

Yes very frustrating. When my contract is up I wont be renewing. Do you happen to have an EE router?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion