Discussion topic: Sky Q box crashing & box fan spinning loudly - EE Broadband

This message was authored by Track+worker This message was authored by: Track+worker

Re: My replacement SKY Q box crashing and whirring overnight

Have had the exact same issue.. I have EE broadband.. was on my 5th sky q box and quite frankly got so fed up with it I've now cancelled sky altogether 

the box was connected by Ethernet so I can't see how the ee router interferes with the sky q box

This message was authored by SJBird This message was authored by: SJBird

I've been on the text chat with Sky, went through everything and updated the software to Q260. That was Tuesday morning. All fine for two days then just now (Thursday evening) the box crashed and then started whirring while I was watching TV. I'm on EE BB, switched from BT in Dec / Jan (can't quite remember) and have always used a wired Ethernet connection. It has to be an EE / Sky issue. 

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Track+worker wrote:

Have had the exact same issue.. I have EE broadband.. was on my 5th sky q box and quite frankly got so fed up with it I've now cancelled sky altogether 

the box was connected by Ethernet so I can't see how the ee router interferes with the sky q box

The router might still be involved in the problem, it does the ethernet routing and switching too of course.

wonder if everyone who has the issue is using ethernet.

are you all disabling wifi?

This message was authored by Track+worker This message was authored by: Track+worker

I did

I did everything, I even changed the EE router to a 3rd party one.

defo some sort of issue with the q box but I simply now don't care

sky wasn't interested in helping and wanting to pass the buck back..

i even asked if I could switch to sky stream.. they said it'll cost more!!!!

nearly 20 years as a customer. Not happy. So I've given them notice.. and now with EE TV

and so far.. I've not had to reset the box 😀

This message was authored by Adamppppp This message was authored by: Adamppppp

Re: My sky Q BOX KEEPS DISCONNECTING FROM MY EE BROADBAND

Having the same problem, just moved my router so no via Wifi (was hard wired) and simply wont stay connected now

This message was authored by Niknok84 This message was authored by: Niknok84

Morning, how long have you had your ee tv box? Didn't know they did tv. Had a look into it and will probably change as well now. Thanks 

Have you done the usual reboot etc

Software update etc? 

There seems to be a issue with EE broadband and sky q boxes.. 

My sky q box kept freezing every day so I ordered a replacement.. Same thing happened again. 

Gave up after the 5th replacement box and ended my contract with sky

Nothing wrong with EE broadband.. Now on 900mg full fiber and works like a dream. 

This message was authored by Julesanddan This message was authored by: Julesanddan

I am on my 2nd new box in a matter of months and this also started happening when I switched internet provider from BT to EE. My new box crashed within 12 hours of setting it up yesterday and has crashed twice since then 🙁 looks like there is an issue with sky Q and the new EE routers. 

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Well @DaveKang above disabled wifi on his and it still crashed. Not sure if he has a cabled connection to the router though.

This message was authored by Julesanddan This message was authored by: Julesanddan

spoke with Sky yesterday and updated the software to latest version and changed the setting for box going on standby to Auto, but box crashed again last night. Have a call back with them scheduled this evening, so i think they will send an engineer, but they dont think it has anything to do with the new EE router,

This message was authored by MarkJordan This message was authored by: MarkJordan

Sky Q box loud fan unresponsive

Had Sky Q for many years. No real issues. Also 4 mini boxes. Have a repeated issue with now 4 boxes. Works fine then after a few hours the box goes off. It is unresponsive and fan runs loud. Only way to get it to work is to power off and on. 

Have tried everything that has been recommended. No joy. Latest box delivered at 4pm already happened. 

It is on an open shelf. Connected by ethernet to internet. 

Help please. I am paying over £100 a month for an unuseable product

This message was authored by MarkJordan This message was authored by: MarkJordan

Hi. Just to add weight to this. Switched to ee from bt in March. Had 4 refurbished boxes since then. Each one  crashes after a few hours of viewing 

Hope it gets sorted out. I can't keep this up. 

causing so much grief at home

This message was authored by Tom-W19 This message was authored by: Tom-W19

Re: Sky Q box loud fan unresponsive

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi @MarkJordan 

Your post has been escalated to our Community Messaging team who will invite you to a private chat shortly and help you with this.

Just look out for the chat bubble to start the conversation.

Here's more information on how Community Messaging works - https://community.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147

Thanks
Tom
This message was authored by HB1978 This message was authored by: HB1978

I've been having the same problem for what feels like years. Switched from UW to EE/BT, worked ok for a while, had an engineer out today, switched the frequency (I think) and still doesn't work!!!!! It's driving me mad!!!!!

This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Re: Sky Q box loud fan unresponsive

Posted by a Sky employee

We are still looking to help you @MarkJordan . If you need our support let us know and we can re-escalate to our chat team. Your invite has been closed now. Thanks

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion