Discussion topic: Sky Q box crashing & box fan spinning loudly - EE Broadband

This message was authored by Daniel-F This message was authored by: Daniel-F

Sky Q box crashing & box fan spinning loudly - EE Broadband

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi all,

I've made this thread to collate / tidy a few other threads where I've noted users have specifically mentioned being with EE Broadband and their Sky Q equipment have been making loud fan noises or freezing overnight.

Moderator note: Updated thread to better reflect query

Daniel
Community Moderator

Best Answers
Daniel-F
Topic Author
This message was authored by Daniel-F This message was authored by: Daniel-F Answer

Re: Sky Q whirring or making noises over night - EE Broadband

Posted by a Sky employee

As previously mentioned, teams have been unable to replicate this issue. 

We do not however want to give up on this and are keen to continue to investigate.  

In order to do this we require examples from within the last 30 days.

We need all the questions below answered fully before we can take an example forward to the engineers to investigate the problem:

1. Can you let me know the EE router model you have?
  2. Is this connected via ethernet or WiFi?
  3. Are you using any other network boosting features, such as a mesh?
  4. What is your Sky Q box hardware & Software version? - This can be found by pressing Home > going into settings > going to system info.  Please only provide the hardware version and software version exactly how it's shown on screen.
  5. At what time does the Sky Q box start acting up with the noise? We require an exact date & timestamp of when this has happened
  6. When the fans are wirring, can you still navigate the Sky Q menus or is it inoperable? 
  7. Is there a specific screen you are seeing on your Sky TV everytime this occurs?

If you have previously provided an example however are still experiencing the problem, you can still assist on this by providing the new example details.

Daniel
Community Moderator

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Popmac This message was authored by: Popmac

My sky Q BOX KEEPS DISCONNECTING FROM MY EE BROADBAND

My sky q box keeps disconnecting from my EE BROADBAND 

This message was authored by bemak187 This message was authored by: bemak187

Re: My sky Q BOX KEEPS DISCONNECTING FROM MY EE BROADBAND

@Popmac  Is it the main Q box?  Have you tried rebooting it?  Is it connected over WiFi or with an ethernet cable?

This message was authored by Popmac This message was authored by: Popmac

It is the main box and wifi

This message was authored by Rebcca This message was authored by: Rebcca

I am having f the same issue it's driving me insane ! Had EE engineer up who said all WiFi is working fine ! If I hard wire an Ethernet and runs my WiFi off my mini boxes won't work ? Any ideas ?

This message was authored by Dobbo180 This message was authored by: Dobbo180

Re: My replacement SKY Q box crashing and whirring overnight

Wow, yes that's exactly the same issue. 7 boxes! omg. 

It does seem really bizarre. Before my previous box failed i had just switched broadband provider from BT to EE.  So i had to set up the latest new EE router. Desperate for an answer I was even wondering if that change of broadband  caused the issue!  NB -  My sky box has a wired ethernet connection.  But yesterday I did reset /set up the network connection - trying wifi and then returning to a wired ethernet connection. (as it's over twice as fast) 

Amazingly  after 4 crashes/freezes and restarts on monday/tuesday. It hasn't  happened since ( probably tempted fate now) 🙄 🤔

This message was authored by DaveKang This message was authored by: DaveKang

Thanks for the advice - I am in exactly the same situation.

Changed from BT to EE and their new router a few weeks ago (same provider really - think EE is their new domestic user label).

Will give it a go tomorrow and feedback.

Can I ask which broadband provider you are with ? You may see from replies in this thread that my issues started after i switched to EE and set up their latest router. One other user on here also switched to EE with the same issues. It's probably coincidence but worth asking. Simon 

This message was authored by Niknok84 This message was authored by: Niknok84

We had a sky member on the phone who assured us she had fixed it yesterday, but after 10 mins the same thing happened.

That's really interesting as it's happened when we swapped from bt to EE.
How have they not notcied the pattern? 

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Niknok84 wrote:

We had a sky member on the phone who assured us she had fixed it yesterday, but after 10 mins the same thing happened.

That's really interesting as it's happened when we swapped from bt to EE.
How have they not notcied the pattern? 

Well, 3 people (that's how many have confirmed in here, and there were at least another 3 who haven't said either way) out of hundreds of calls a day doesn't make much of a pattern but it's either a coincidence or a bit of a smoking gun.

I would try a different router (I assume EE still let you use whatever router you want, BT always did)  and see if the problem stops. Or maybe try ethernet cable for a while if possible and disable wifi and see if it stops?

edit: or I suppose an even easier test - just disconnect it from the internet completely and see if it stops.

It is interesting regards EE - will have to see how this plays out.  Alas having had a day yesterday with no crashes - this morning i found my box has crashed overnight again - while on standby - the louder whirring sound and non responsive box needing a power off to reset. 😞 

@Popmac did you get this resolved? i am having regular problems with My new EE broadband which appears to be causing regular crashes of sky q box needing power off resets. There are other posts where quite a few people are suffering similar issues who are with EE 

Have spoken for some time with EE tech support. They have run all sorts of diagnostics checks and everything is working well and as it should. They say they are not aware of any issues of EE broadband causing issues with Sky Q boxes. They say it is a Sky issue and everything else is working normally on broadband/wifi - which is a fair point. So will have to wait for the Sky engineer next week. 

This message was authored by DaveKang This message was authored by: DaveKang

Thanks for the update. I will get back in touch with Sky.

FYI I have the latest EE broadband hub with a wired connection to the Sky Q box.

All the boxes I have received to date have been the V2 variant - with the silver trim.

My original Sky Q box was V3 all black one - it had no issues with the EE hub - the harddrive failed.

@Greenfingers001  please see the updates on this thread, can you pass on to someone in sky to look at this common and infuriating issue that appears linked to customers who have just set up broadband with EE.

If Sky are sending engineers to all these people affected or sending out as many new Sky Q boxes as described then that must be costing Sky a lot of time and effort and money!

So it's worth investigating these issues collectively to work up a solution.  

Hope you can help. 

Simon 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion