Discussion topic: Sky Q awful to use

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Re: Sky Q awful to use

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Anonymous wrote:

Such as not having a "reminder" (unforgiveable !)

Streaming really has no concept of linear viewing.  What's there to remind?

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Anonymous 

A properly oriented Zone 1 dish should be entirely adequate in most of the UK: Zone 2 hardware may be advisable in the North and West.

A misaligned dish is likely to lose signal in adverse weather no matter how big it is.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Topic Author
This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@PandJ2020 

Not everyone watches TV like that

Some people watch it in a proper (old fashioned) way - ie LIVE and just prefer reminders to be available when watching series and one off new programs !

Topic Author
This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@TimmyBGood 

I had my dish replaced about 4 years ago and then downgraded to Q from HD, 12 months ago

I never had any problems in losing signal on HD - It has only been with Q - which clearly has greater demand on signal strength - it loses the signal often when there's thick clouds in the sky (although, surprisingly not in rain) I live in SW England..

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Anonymous wrote:

@TimmyBGood 

I had my dish replaced about 4 years ago and then downgraded to Q from HD, 12 months ago

I never had any problems in losing signal on HD - It has only been with Q - which clearly has greater demand on signal strength - it loses the signal often when there's thick clouds in the sky (although, surprisingly not in rain) I live in SW England..

Either way, it points to your dish needing to be re-aligned. 

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@Anonymous wrote:

@TimmyBGood 

@Anonymous I'd agree with @Mark39 I live in the SW as well and the only occasions i've lost my Sky signal has been on the odd occasion we have had really really heavy torrential rain 

I will also say my dish hasn't been touched since June 2016 when I had Q installed 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@Anonymous wrote:

@PandJ2020 

Some people watch it in a proper (old fashioned) way - ie LIVE and just prefer reminders to be available when watching series and one off new programs !

Yes, but your question was around stream/glass... Linear reminders are gone forever.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by Richardsky1 This message was authored by: Richardsky1

Upgraded a month ago.  It looks like there was a lack of testing before original  release. Some of the flaws are just odd ..

The exit button should have been a back button. 

There is no way to have a favorite app list.  

The way recordings are presented is just bizarre, eg three presentations of the same thing, top says continue even if you haven't started watching it, also below in recorded and available now. 

Voice search and mag glass search return different results.  Say "art" and you get no results. 

I really wish I had made a note of all the on demand content available on sky comedy channel and sky documentary channel before leaving sky hd behind.  Impossible to get a complete list on sky q, so most content I will now never see.  Instead sky want to suggest I watch content on channels like Disney, that I don't even have.  Just odd. 

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@Anonymous wrote:

@PandJ2020 

Yes. And I just tell siri to remind me because I can't do it on the Q box. Takes a few seconds rather than 1 button press.

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@Richardsky1 wrote:

.  Instead sky want to suggest I watch content on channels like Disney, that I don't even have.  Just odd. 

Clearly intentional to drive some fomo so that some will subscribe to that additional content.

This message was authored by Invisiblename This message was authored by: Invisiblename

@Anonymous wrote:

Is Sky stream and Sky Glass any different in terms of operating systems ?

ie) Have Sky learnt from their Q mistakes ?

Such as not having a "reminder" (unforgiveable !)

How can you have a reminder function on a streaming only device??

I am just another Sky customer!
This message was authored by opl73 This message was authored by: opl73

The Sky Q interface is awful to use. One of my Sky Plus HD boxes (I had 2) was faulty and they offered to replace it FOC as part of a promotion. However, they didn't tell me that I could not use the other Sky+ HD box, once I had Sky Q installed in one room.

This isn't an issue for me (although I think it's terrible too), but it is an issue for my Mother who has dementia. I had to upgrade the 2nd box to Sky Q, meaning my Mother had to try and learn a whole new way of using Sky.

It's the most unfriendly user Sky/TV interface I have have ever come across. She doesn't understand it and no matter how many times I show her how to record or find her recordings, she doesn't remember.

From knowing how to watch Sky+ from memory, due to routine and continuous use, to now using this new set up is extremely confusing, frustrating and upsetting for her, as I suspect (and having researched reviews) most people with memory problems do too.

Watching TV, is no longer a happy escape or experience. I feel so sorry for her.

I want to know, who on earth researched and tested the interface before it's release? Was it piloted on people with memory or learning difficulty issues? It definitely wasn't and it's disgraceful that people with these issues weren't considered during proof of concept.

A very ignorant lack of disability representation.

Terrible.

This message was authored by pgxcg This message was authored by: pgxcg

Completely agree, we still hate it after 12 months soooo frustrating to use. I sympathise with you as any elderly or people with memory and learning issues must fell so left out. 

I have lost a very close relation recently to dementia and went through a period along time ago trying to explain how to use sky,

It was so frustrating for all of us.

Surely with all the technology out there they could produce something better and even a very simplified version for those that need to it , sadly they are obviously making enough money not to care.

This message was authored by opl73 This message was authored by: opl73

100% agree.

This message was authored by pgxcg This message was authored by: pgxcg

https://www.alzproducts.co.uk/flipper-big-button-remote-control

This really helped us for a while with sky plus but don't know if it works with new systems.

Good luck 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion