Discussion topic: Sky Q awful to use

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Sky Q awful to use

Just wanted to say how disappointing we are with Sky Q...

It is awful to use when compared to the old Sky Plus. We were talked into swapping after moving house and really wish we hadn't.

It is so over complicated and very confusing even the remote is badly designed and awkward to use, really do your research before signing up sadly we are now tied into new contract.......realise sky plus is not available as new option but really wish we had kept our old box as long as we could...the only bonus is there is no need to wire between the additional boxes other than that is seem like a massive down grade..

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: Sky Q awful to use

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Anonymous 

Some customers do find it very different having had Sky+ but you'll get used to it. I've had Sky Q since November 2019 and wouldn't return to Sky+ under any circumstances. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by Ecosse This message was authored by: Ecosse

Hi @Anonymous I must admit, I was very underwhelmed when we swapped over a few years back from Sky+ HD to the Q system.  The main push was F1 in UHD but the interface took a few weeks to get used to, not gonna lie, I was thinking of jacking it in in the beginning.

All I can say is, stick with it, it begins to make sense, and I'm no spring chicken here, I'm in my mid 50's but I am a bit of a tecky guy so just stuck at it until I'd worked out where on earth everything was "hidden".

Also, this forum, for me, was an absolute godsend.  I came on here and asked a few questions and the replies were swift, numerous, and helpful.  The more senior customers really are on a different level.

Remember, this forum is customer-driven, like yourself - I've gone from wondering if I'm ever going to get used to the Q system to advising others on ways to use it or understand blockages. (I hope).

Here's a handy Sky Q guide

Stick with it, you won't regret it.

Good luck.

====================================================
Samsung UE49MU7070XX - Samsung MS550 Soundbar+ with 9000S Rears
Sky Q 2Tb + 3 Minis - BT Full Fibre 900
Topic Author

Thank you...yes I'm sure it will become clearer, just wishing we hadn't changed, loved sky plus it did everything we needed and was so user friendly.

This message was authored by Ecosse This message was authored by: Ecosse

Any queries, just holler on here.

====================================================
Samsung UE49MU7070XX - Samsung MS550 Soundbar+ with 9000S Rears
Sky Q 2Tb + 3 Minis - BT Full Fibre 900
This message was authored by pgxcg This message was authored by: pgxcg

We have had sky q for six months now and still hate it. So bad to use compared to sky plus ...over complicated and nothing seems to be an improvement , really disappointed, and the remote is awful to use, can't believe this is supposed to be an update.

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@pgxcg wrote:

and the remote is awful to use

For those nostaligic moments:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394752291960?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0

can't believe this is supposed to be an update.

There are many features the Q has the HD did not, UHD being the key one for me.  HD boxes are dead, move on - you spend most of your time (I hope) watching programmes than navigating the UI.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@PandJ2020 wrote:
.... you spend most of your time (I hope) watching programmes than navigating the UI.

Quite so, and it seems to be lost amongst those who moan about the user interface. 

Topic Author

@Anonymous 

Reminders are missed from HD

This was a stupid omission

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous 

Reminders are missed from HD

This was a stupid omission

Don't go there.  They were never omitted.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
Topic Author

Another recent "upgrader" to Q. I HATE the menus!!!! Why can't we have flat menus without previews or pictures everywhere? It just slows down everything. 

Managing your recordings is a mess. 

With HD we had choices, Q we have none. 

BTW: Anyone know how to choose "User defined" start time on a recording? Probably another useful feature they dropped....

We used 

This message was authored by SpennyUK71 This message was authored by: SpennyUK71

Both my wife and I find the user interface horrible to use, just seems to be over complicated. This on top of series links failing and trying to find the shows missed makes this platform frustrating to use. 

Topic Author

@PandJ2020 

UHD is a total waste of time and money - what about the program content ?

Surely Sky should be spending OUR money on making/obtaining decent programs rather than trying to constantly get us to "upgrade" what is an adequate picture - to a (slightly) better picture quality..

When HD came out - I was of the opinion that the limiting factor was my eyes - rather than the feed

And now UHD ?

When will it stop ? UUUUHD?

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Anonymous wrote:

@PandJ2020 

UHD is a total waste of time and money - what about the program content ?

Surely Sky should be spending OUR money on making/obtaining decent programs rather than trying to constantly get us to "upgrade" what is an adequate picture - to a (slightly) better picture quality..

When HD came out - I was of the opinion that the limiting factor was my eyes - rather than the feed

And now UHD ?

When will it stop ? UUUUHD?

Sky are simply meeting consumer demand and maintaining their position amongst competitors who provide UHD content. Presumably those who subscribe sto UHD don't see it as a waste of money. Perhaps you're right that the limiting factor in your case is indeed your eyes. You wouldn't be alone - there have occasionally been posts from others who don't notice a difference between SD, HD and UHD content. 8k technology has already been developed.

This message was authored by Q-tips This message was authored by: Q-tips

I can't get over the loss of reminders either. Sky's glib retort was that I wouldn't need reminders if I recorded everything I wanted to watch - but I'm not about to record 14 hours of live golf, 8 hours of live cricket or 4 hours of live horse racing that I want to bet on. I just want to be reminded when these programmes start.

Other than that, my FTTH hardwired Sky Q system has been plagued by video and audio glitches since day 1 and neither Sky's engineers or a new box have been able to cure it. My old Sky+ would occasionally fall over in torrential rain (which still happens with SkyQ) but never glitched otherwise.

However, the SkyQ Mini boxes are definitely worth having and the excessive choice of content available via SkyQ is sometimes a bonus. 

UHD is overhyped and Sky's so-called "UHD" content is often not native but upscaled HD - especially on the sports channels. I see much better UHD delivered direct to my TV by iPlayer, Eurosport, Netflix and others.

I quite like the SkyQ remote now that I'm used to it - but I'm not fond of the designer who gave it a curved back so that you can't use it one-handed when it's sitting on the arm of a chair or on a table.

--------------------
32B12C 2TB UHD Q box • Mini boxes x2 (32D0B2) • 2022 LG C2 OLED TV • Software vQ230.000.14.00L • Gigaclear gigabit FTTH broadband (935Mbps up/down) • Linksys Velop tri-band router; 3 mesh nodes • All Q boxes fully Cat6 hardwired • Q wi-fi disabled • Q picture/audio processing disabled (no sound bar) • Pixellation cured by Q170 but back again with Q190 and now every few minutes with Q210 and Q220 live broadcasts and recordings on all boxes

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion