Sky Q app won’t connect to my Sky Q box.

Runner
Post 16 of 28

Re: Sky Q app won’t connect to my Sky Q box.

Not sure if my issue was the same as others but finally fixed it by unplugging our Powerline plug the ethernet is connected to and then plugging it back in. 

New Viewer
Post 17 of 28

I have exactly the same issue and can’t resolve it. I think Sky Q is simply dreadful. Wish I’d kept my Sky+ which was so much better. Was ambushed when I moved house to ‘upgrade’ for free. Now they won’t let me go back. This is an ill thought out, knee jerk reaction, to put a dashboard  out to compete with Netflix.  Everyone I know who has moved to Q has regretted it. When you don’t have a customer service fit for purpose it is effectively abandoning your customers. Deleting app and considering ditching Sky altogether. 

Runner
Post 18 of 28

I have the same problem.

i have tried all the advice and steps from Sky and in this forum to no avail.

i have my sky q boxes connected through Ethernet as my house is quite old with thick walls.

i think it’s utterly appalling that Sky can’t solve this problem, and effectively are providing equipment that does not provide the services sold, all beit a small part.

I believe you would have a case to cancel your contract early as all services aren’t provided.

Annoyed

Andy

Runner
Post 19 of 28

I'm having the exact same issue with my sky q  and to no avail, luckily enough i kept my sky go app on both my phone and tablet, what's the point of putting up an app that won't work

Runner
Post 20 of 28

Hi

i can use sky go but it’s the sky q app that I want, so you can watch recorded programs on my tablet while at home.

i have 2 boxes but see no need to get another when the app can provide what I need, as a further box won’t be cost effective.

i am currently looking at other options to providing my tv channels at home, the big sky get, the less they are interested in the consumer.

regards

andy

Oracle
Post 21 of 28

@Wrightys1971 if the Q box is on the same network as the device it works but too many network steps and it doesn't so do you have any managed ethernet switches or multiple wifi devices on your network as they could cause issues? 

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Sound Supervisor
Post 22 of 28

I did have the problem of the Sky Q app being unable to find the Sky Q box. I'm using iPad's and iPhone's and the problem first started for me sometime in November at about the same time I changed my router (I'm with BT for internet) which also coincided with the last update to the Sky Q app, so I'm not sure which caused the issue.

I've posted the 'fix' that worked for me on other threads covering the same issue.

I did a 'hard reset' of each of my iDevices and after that the Sky Q app started to work as it should, and has been reliable ever since. I don't know if this is also an option for Android devices.

Unfortunately, although it worked for me on four devices, others haven't been so lucky. No harm in trying though as you won't lose any data on the iDevice and it might work.

Runner
Post 23 of 28

@Chrisee 

Thank you for your reply.

I have 2 switches one in my living room and one my office upstairs where my broadband is.

My broadband feeds into the switch.

All ethernets come from this switch inclusive of the Ethernet that feeds into a switch in the living room.

The sky q main box (in the living room)  plugs into this switch with a wireless access point as the old house walls degrade the signal from the main wireless router in my office.

The wireless router in my office deals with the DNS.

It worked when we had a sky router and it was first installed But I didn't check it was still working before I switched broadband providers.

I can't go back to sky as I am now in a Contract with the other provider.

Surely that shouldn't stop this from working.

Nowhere does it say for this facility you need a sky router.

Best regards

Andy

Oracle
Post 24 of 28

@Wrightys1971 you don't need a Sky router but the system that checks that the Q box is on the same network not only checks the IP address but has various "safeguards" to stop people using vpn's etc. These can cause issues on more complex networks like yours where there are multiple steps between the box and the device.

Those safeguards are not documented and I have never been told exactly how they work so cannot explain how to get the system to work unfortunately.

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Runner
Post 25 of 28

@Chrisee

Thank you for your prompt reply.

its strange because my other sky q box is connected via an Ethernet cable from my main switch via another switch in my daughters bedroom,.

The second box setup instantly on Ethernet no troubles.

the system has worked before but doesn’t now, so I don’t know if software updates on the boxes, have created an issue with sky increasing these safeguards.

The dilemma now is who to contact to resolve this problem, have you any ideas?

best regards

andy

Managing Editor
Post 26 of 28

@Wrightys1971 wrote:

@Chrisee

Thank you for your prompt reply.

its strange because my other sky q box is connected via an Ethernet cable from my main switch via another switch in my daughters bedroom,.

The second box setup instantly on Ethernet no troubles.

the system has worked before but doesn’t now, so I don’t know if software updates on the boxes, have created an issue with sky increasing these safeguards.

The dilemma now is who to contact to resolve this problem, have you any ideas?

best regards

andy

No one from Sky is going to be able to troubleshoot your network. If you can’t do it yourself then you would probably need to contact an IT engineer who is conversant with networking. Almost certainly it’s not updates from Sky that have changed anything as I’m sure there would be numerous  posts on sudden loss of app connectivity to Sky Q boxes after firmware changes and as far as I’m aware, there aren’t.

Personally I would start by losing all the switches and try hardwiring everything straight back to the router, even if it means purchasing some cheap extra long ethernet cables just for troubleshooting. You can get 10m cat 5e cables on eBay for £3., 15m for £4 etc. Still much cheaper than employing someone. Then if it works then the issue is with your network setup. So then try adding in each switch one at at time and see if it connects. If not then it might well be a setting or an issue with your router. Just a case of going back to basics and using logic to work through a troubleshooting process. 

Runner
Post 27 of 28

@Roger+Peters

It can't be the network at fault as it hasn't changed and the app has worked.

The only change is the router which feeds into the main switch.

Therefore it has to be something else.

Regards

Andy

Runner
Post 28 of 28

Hi guys, sky engineer here. There can be multiple causes for this problem but I find the best way to cure it is to call sky direct and ask them to resend the card subscription signals. 

This usually cures it within 5 mins or so.

Hope this helps 

Recommended Threads
13-12-2018 08:23 PM
15-12-2018 07:32 PM
09-08-2018 07:47 PM
07-12-2018 07:18 PM
13-10-2018 08:54 AM