Sky Q and new BT Smart Hub 2 connection issues

Sound Supervisor
Post 16 of 37

Re: Sky Q and new BT Smart Hub 2 connection issues

@j+spellman wrote:

....should i change the 5ghz wireless channel i wonder as suggested previously in this thread?

I’m not sure of my facts here, but “I think” the Q hub connects to the 2.4 network. Maybe wait to see if others on here have any tips or suggestions. 

Oracle
Post 17 of 37

@Pistonhead wrote:

@j+spellman wrote:

....should i change the 5ghz wireless channel i wonder as suggested previously in this thread?

I’m not sure of my facts here, but “I think” the Q hub connects to the 2.4 network. Maybe wait to see if others on here have any tips or suggestions. 

@Pistonhead is correct the main Q box uses the 2.4GHz channel to connect to third party routers the 5GHz band is used for connecting to Q minis..

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Sound Supervisor
Post 18 of 37

@Chrisee Thank you for the confirmation/clarification.

Researcher
Post 19 of 37

Solved: BT Smart Hub 2. Turn wireless mode to mode 2 on the BT router and set 5hz to channel 48. Then it works

Researcher
Post 20 of 37

Unfortunatly after doing this, the damned thing is still unstable, and is regually dropping out.

I'm getting so angry at this I am consdiering my Sky Q subscriptions as it's pointless if it cannot work with other internet provideres.

Any other idea's on how to get this too stabilise would be gratefully recieved. 

Oracle
Post 21 of 37

@EVM11 wrote:

Unfortunatly after doing this, the damned thing is still unstable, and is regually dropping out.

I'm getting so angry at this I am consdiering my Sky Q subscriptions as it's pointless if it cannot work with other internet provideres.

Sky Q works fine with other ISPs: many of us are not using Sky for internet access, including myself. Unfortunately very few of us have a BT Smart Hub 2, so we haven't experienced its particular issues when interacting with Q.

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet), BT ADSL (14Mbs), BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (Android 4.4 KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Android 7.1.2 Nougat), LG 49UJ701V with Yamaha RX-V375, Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
Director of Photography
Post 22 of 37

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@EVM11 wrote:

Sky Q works fine with other ISPs: many of us are not using Sky for internet access, including myself. Unfortunately very few of us have a BT Smart Hub 2, so we haven't experienced its particular issues when interacting with Q.

I have a BT SH2 and one Disc. As I’m connected by Ethernet I cannot (will not break something stable) test the WiFi performance. However the SH2 is essentially a Smart Hub (with Complete WiFi built in) and the only difference is you can no longer split the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. Obviously turn off smart setup and move the 5 GHz band away from channel 36. Changing to mode 2 would be exactly the same as changing to mode 2 on the Smart Hub.

Researcher
Post 23 of 37

Cheers for the advice. I have done all these and the Main Q box works, and then after a indescribably amount of time, stops connecting again. It’s incredibly frustrating and with no help from BT or Sky, makes me wonder why I am paying a lot of money to either of these shysters! 

Sky Q should be great, the mini boxes should be great and Infinity 2+ should be great, in reality I think I’m better off with Virgin and Prime!! 

Researcher
Post 24 of 37

Then try Wi-fi 3 rather than 2. That should work

Researcher
Post 25 of 37

Cheers l will tomorrow as I’m pretty fed up with it atm. 

Researcher
Post 26 of 37

As an update I have contacted BT and at first I was told to talk to Sky as their equipment was working. I was not impressed with that response as I’ve had Sky Q for under 2years and it worked with the old Hub 6 by splitting the system. I was eventually told that the Technical department are aware of the non compatibility situation, that the 2.4 & 5k cannot be split.

As I have a smart TV  (im not sure how relevant that is) as well as a Q Box, the only way to overcome the issue of stability is to hard wire the server to the Q box. This solution is not possible for me, therefore I have put in a complaint as I’ve have signed up to an 18 month contract without being told that this system is now incompatible with Sky Q. 

The only option left left is to leave BT and join Sky broadband, so I’m in for an interesting conversation this afternoon. 

Sound Supervisor
Post 27 of 37

@EVM11 I’m running a SmartHub 2 with 2 Complete WiFi discs, with everything connected wirelessly (Smart Setup turned off on the hub) and Sky Q works perfectly, so I think they can work together as they should. That said, I did initially have some problems with the setup, mainly slow WiFi, and narrowed it down to the Smart Hub not playing nice with my Sonos, which sets up its own mesh after linking to the Smart Hub. Connecting one Sonos speaker to the hub via ethernet seemed to resolve any problems and everything is now running as you would hope.

Do you have any other devices that create their own mesh, e.g. Sonos, Amazon Echo, etc. that might be upsetting the network and causing the problems with Sky Q.?

Researcher
Post 28 of 37

I do have a couple of Sonos speakers and a Bose 500 soundbar, however these were all working okay until I got the new Smart Hub 2 replacement for the Hub 6! 

The problem I have is the Q box holding the Wi-fi signal. It connects and then after an undescriped amount of time it will disconnect and then can’t latch back on. 

Sound Supervisor
Post 29 of 37

I also had the SmartHub 1 previously and that all worked OK, but I had split the channels on that. It was only when I got the new hub I had to do a bit of fiddling to get it to work well.

Maybe it’s worth trying with some of the other peripheral devices temporarily turned off to see if one of those is rocking the boat?

Researcher
Post 30 of 37

I’ve just hard wired /  connected the black disk  supplied with the hub directly to the Q box and so far so good, however until it’s been connected for a few days without dropping off, I’m not celebrating. 

Recommended Threads
9 minutes ago 03:35 PM
10 minutes ago 03:34 PM
Vetty67 10 minutes ago 03:33 PM
Oracle 14 minutes ago 03:29 PM
Oracle 24 minutes ago 03:20 PM