Sky Q and new BT Smart Hub 2 connection issues

Researcher
Post 1 of 37

Sky Q and new BT Smart Hub 2 connection issues

Received the new BT Smart Hub 2 from BT today and have spent the last 3 hours trying to set it up with Sky Q - all other devices connect fine to the new hub except for Q - on some occasions, the main box will not even connect to the hub - when it did connect i tried to set up the mini box and it has failed every time to get an IP device - no idea what to do now so i have reverted back to the home hub until Sky come out in 10 days - anyone any ideas or experienced similar issues?

All Replies
Executive Producer
Post 2 of 37

Re: Sky Q and new BT Smart Hub 2 connection issues

Try in this order in your HH settings, you may only have to turn off smart, the admin password is on the pull out card in the HH.

Turn off SMART.

Split frequencies

Move the 5Ghz Ch36 to Ch48 (often cures mini box connection problems)

Executive Producer
Post 3 of 37

@j+spellman wrote:

Received the new BT Smart Hub 2 from BT today and have spent the last 3 hours trying to set it up with Sky Q - all other devices connect fine to the new hub except for Q - on some occasions, the main box will not even connect to the hub - when it did connect i tried to set up the mini box and it has failed every time to get an IP device - no idea what to do now so i have reverted back to the home hub until Sky come out in 10 days - anyone any ideas or experienced similar issues?

You need to turn off smart set up. Details in link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

BT Ultra Infinity. Apple Time Capsule. Sky Q 2TB watching UHD through a LG OLED55B7 and listening through a soundbox. Multiroom with 2 miniboxes
Researcher
Post 4 of 37

Will this allow the main router to connect and be stable do you think as it’s kept dropping out today hence going back to the old hub 

Executive Producer
Post 5 of 37

@j+spellman wrote:

Will this allow the main router to connect and be stable do you think as it’s kept dropping out today hence going back to the old hub 

You need to turn smart set up off as SkyQ doesn’t like it

Are you are doing a network reset on main and minibox when trying to connect?

BT Ultra Infinity. Apple Time Capsule. Sky Q 2TB watching UHD through a LG OLED55B7 and listening through a soundbox. Multiroom with 2 miniboxes
Researcher
Post 6 of 37

Yes done a reset today and it connected for a very short time and then just didn’t recognise the hub - I will certainly turn off the smart setup and try again to see if it gets sorted 

Sound Supervisor
Post 7 of 37

@j+spellman wrote:

For sure turn off Smart Set Up on new hub. As with yourself everything connected fine except Q. I entered the password manually for main box. From experience I then left it  30 mins and 2 coffees and mince pies later started on the the minis and used WPS to connect the mini boxes and all seems ok .

Sound Supervisor
Post 8 of 37

I got a new SmartHub 2 this week as part of BT's 'Complete Wifi' package and, fortunately, had no problem connecting - but I connected the Sky Q main box to the SmartHub after I'd already turned off 'Smart Setup'.

What I don't think exists on the new SmartHubs is the ability to split the networks, like you could on the original SmartHub. Or, if you can, I've yet to find the option for doing it. Maybe it's no longer an option if you are using the Hub in conjuntion with the new wifi discs.

Another thing I've seen on the BT forums for people struggling to get the Sky Q to work nicely with the original SmartHub is to change to manually setting the IP settings in the Sky Q Network Settings, rather than leaving it on 'auto'. Not sure quite how you'll achieve that if it's not already showing any I.P. info, but maybe a trawl through the BT Forums may throw up some clues: https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/bd-p/OtherBB

If all else fails, is connecting the Q box to the router via an ethernet cable an option?

Director of Photography
Post 9 of 37

@bob1234 wrote:

Try in this order in your HH settings, you may only have to turn off smart, the admin password is on the pull out card in the HH.

Turn off SMART.

Split frequencies

I can confirm that you cannot split the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands on the new BT SH2. http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56419/~/how-do-i-split-my-bt-hubs-ssid-%28wireless-ne... “Please note: the Smart Hub 2 doesn't have this capability as it's designed for use with Complete WiFi”.

I am connected via Ethernet so I haven’t tried a WiFi connection. However a warning getting my Hive Hub 360 to swap over to the BT SH2 took 2 hours! Not a problem with SH2 but any change of wireless router. 

Sound Supervisor
Post 10 of 37

@sky+veteran Thanks for the confirmation that the channels can’t be split. I’ll stop looking for the option Smiley Happy

Executive Producer
Post 11 of 37

@sky+veteran wrote:

@bob1234 wrote:

Turn off SMART.

Split frequencies

I can confirm that you cannot split the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands on the new BT SH2. http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56419/~/how-do-i-split-my-bt-hubs-ssid-%28wireless-ne... “Please note: the Smart Hub 2 doesn't have this capability as it's designed for use with Complete WiFi”.

I am connected via Ethernet so I haven’t tried a WiFi connection. However a warning getting my Hive Hub 360 to swap over to the BT SH2 took 2 hours! Not a problem with SH2 but any change of wireless router. 

I did not know that one existed,  I have the HH6 (Smart hub) if none of the set ups work and you are not using the disks for whole home I would ask BT to swap it for a HH6.

Director of Photography
Post 12 of 37

@bob1234 wrote:

@sky+veteran wrote:

@bob1234 wrote:

Turn off SMART.

Split frequencies

I did not know that one existed,  I have the HH6 (Smart hub) if none of the set ups work and you are not using the disks for whole home I would ask BT to swap it for a HH6.

Hi @bob1234. As far as I know the SH2 is not replacing the HH6 (SH1). At least not for the time being in any case. There is no point of having a SH2 unless you are using at least one disc on Complete WiFi. In fact it costs £5 more a month if you order Complete WiFi.

Researcher
Post 13 of 37

I have been trying to setup again this morning following all the helpful advice posted - thanks for all your input. 

I have managed to connect the main Q and mini box up - the bizarre thing is that the network name that is connected is still showing the old BT home hub rather than the Snart Hub 2 - the old hub is in its box so no idea why this is happening.  I have already booked an appointment for a Sky Engineer to come out and will monitor this over the next few days before cancelling.

Sound Supervisor
Post 14 of 37

Pleased that you’ve got it working, but strange it’s not seeing the name of the new router. If it’s working it’s probably best to leave things alone, but I wonder if a reboot of everything might resolve the anomaly. 

Maybe power everything off then allow the router to fully reboot first and then boot up the Sky kit.

Researcher
Post 15 of 37

When it comes up with network name, no networks appear so i came out and went back in and all available networks were there including new smart hub - connected to the new hub and its working now, but still stating that i am connected to the old hub - should i change the 5ghz wireless channel i wonder as suggested previously in this thread?

Recommended Threads