Sky Q and guide options

Answered
Go to Answer
Boom Operator
Post 1 of 13

Sky Q and guide options

Hello,

Just joined Sky. So far, very pleased with the move from Virgin who are incredibly slow to act on their customer feedback. I didn't see a feedback option anywhere, so thought I would post here just in case Sky monitor the forums.

One thing I am disappointed with is I have to pay £199 just to be able to use voice commands. This option is so useful, it should be included with every package in my view.

The guide is so much better than the TiVo that Virgin use. However, it could do with some improvements:

1. With so many channels on offer, more filtering is needed, such as hide channels you aren't subscribed to, user could then use show all on the occasion they do want to see what's on offer.

2. When viewing all channels, if you aren't subscribed to one, show a badge so you don't have to click to find you aren't subscibed to it.

3. Allow user to create a Must View (or someSuch named menu item) list when viewing the guide. Then, let viewer click it and show just their selection. This way, viewer could make a list of what to watch, and easily find the list. Automatically forget shows that have been broadcast, and let user clear list, or selected items.

4. I am so used to clicking, then clicking again to escape yet this option isn't included with the remote. For example, click X, don't like it, click again to go back, instead of having to move your finger and press Back.

5. In some menus, when I get to the last "thumbnail" in the row, pressing right arrow button does nothing. I have to press the down arrow, which then shows the last thumbnail in the next column, and I then have to click the left arrow to view other thumbnails in that row. This is a really annoying behaviour. It should automatically go to the first thumbnial in the next row when viewer gets to the end of any row. When you press next (right arrow button) on the last thumbnail, it should go to the first thumbnail in the first row (in computing, this is known as Wrap Arround and is very useful).

6. The box doesn't have a switch to turn off the mains. A separate switch to the mains plug is very useful I have found when using the Virgin box.

Thanks for reading.

Photographer.
Answer

Best Answers
Answer
Oracle
Post 6 of 13

Re: Sky Q and guide options

Hi @Jumping+Walrus great post. You will have made Sky designers day by saying Q is better than Tivo.Smiley Wink

Answering your point about a powering down if you press and hold the power switch long enough (the power led is in the centre) on the box it will power down the box. Press again and the box restarts.

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
All Replies
Production Supervisor
Post 2 of 13

@Jumping+Walrus wrote:

One thing I am disappointed with is I have to pay £199 just to be able to use voice commands. This option is so useful, it should be included with every package in my view.

Hi @Jumping+Walrus. This is not true. The voice control remote works with all boxes including the Minis. Whereas you get one included with the 2TB box you can buy one for all other boxes. Voice control has nothing to do with packages, it just works with the right remote. https://accessories.sky.com/catalogue/products/new-sky-q-touch-remote-with-voice-control?section=sky...

Sky Q Silver Bundle with 1 Mini (Ethernet) Q071.000.29.00L. BT Superfast Fibre Plus. Sony XE93 2160p 10 bit and X83C 1080p. iPad Pro 12.9 (2017). Harmony Elite.
Executive Producer
Post 3 of 13

You can overcome 1 & 2 and possibly 3 by setting up favourites it will save up to 99 and labels them as channels 1 to 99. If that is enough you never need to look at the full guide again, you can put them in whatever order you like and have separate favourites for each box. The only weakness I have found is that you have to set them up in each box and can't copy your selection across.

Favourites

Boom Operator
Post 4 of 13

Thanks for th quick reply. I meant box when I said package but wasn't sure if the voice remote, which I only became aware of when using help for my  Sky Q mini box (I assumed it wouldn't).

That said, I couldn't find anything on the Sky site about upgrading just the remote, including in my account (I did look). In fact, there's no mention in my account of the larger box or the voice/touch remote in either manage packases or offers and upgrades.

Photographer.
Oracle
Post 5 of 13

@Jumping+Walrus wrote:

Thanks for th quick reply. I meant box when I said package but wasn't sure if the voice remote, which I only became aware of when using help for my  Sky Q mini box (I assumed it wouldn't).

That said, I couldn't find anything on the Sky site about upgrading just the remote, including in my account (I did look). In fact, there's no mention in my account of the larger box or the voice/touch remote in either manage packases or offers and upgrades.

Hi @Jumping+Walrus

Touch remote with voice control available on Accessory shop

https://accessories.sky.com/catalogue/products/new-sky-q-touch-remote-with-voice-control?section=sky...

Answer
Oracle
Post 6 of 13

Hi @Jumping+Walrus great post. You will have made Sky designers day by saying Q is better than Tivo.Smiley Wink

Answering your point about a powering down if you press and hold the power switch long enough (the power led is in the centre) on the box it will power down the box. Press again and the box restarts.

Executive Producer
Post 7 of 13

@Jumping+Walrus wrote:

The main box (the larger capacity one has a silver strip at the bottom) comes with a "touch" remote just press the microphone button at the side and talk. Mini boxes just come with the button controller however the touch controller will work with the mini box no changes are needed just buy the controller.

For some reason I can't get the assessories page on Sky to post a link.

Boom Operator
Post 8 of 13

Thanks for the suggestion, Bob, but I want to keep favourites for favourites only. Having family favourites, or just Favorites 1, Favourites 2, etc)  would also help. For example, my wife wants to watch from the International selection but I never do. Adding hers to favourites then polllutes the favourite selection for both of us. Then there are the kids who also want to have their favourites.

Photographer.
Boom Operator
Post 9 of 13

Thanks for that tip. I did try pressing the buttons but one started to flash, so gave up. Meant to find out what mode I'd put the box into this morning.

Photographer.
Oracle
Post 10 of 13

@Jumping+Walrus

The flashing light just meant you had initiated a WPS key exchange: it times out after a couple of minutes if it doesn't find another WPS signal from a neighboring box.

Devices like this typically don't have real power switches, as they are designed to be updated overnight without user intervention.

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet) Multiscreen, Cinema, Sports, Box Sets, Yamaha RX-V375, BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), BT ADSL (17Mbs), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (Android 4.4 KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Android 7.1.2 Nougat), LG 49UJ701V, Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
Boom Operator
Post 11 of 13

@Chrisee Thanks for your reply. I tried holding down the "middle" button (aka the Q button) but it doesn't power off the box. You need to turn it off at the mains. Holding down the power button "shuts down" the box but doesn't power it off. 

IMV, you should be able to turn the power off from the box because the mains switch isn't always practicle (updates can always be downloaded and then applied on boot up and viewer given uption to install now, or later, or when turning off).

I have a multi-extension that also powers the modem and other devices which I want to keep on, and the extension is hidden under the TV cabinet. I have now added another extension for the Sky Q box and can turn it on/off. It means a slight delay while box boots up but that's OK (it's about a quarter of the time TiVo takes to boot up and even then TiVo takes several more mintues to build menus! Awful software, IMO).

Photographer.
Camera Assistant
Post 12 of 13

Virgin’s TiVo is in very slow boxes. The new V6 boxes are much faster. Yes, V6 is slower to cold boot than Q. But not too much slower. The V6 boxes need to be cold booted less often than the Q boxes. Also, a number of features in the Virgin software would be nice to have on Q. I especially like the series link functionality. It really is good. Also, longer than 7-days in the TV listings. And I like that the TV listing show the programs date so we know how old it is. 

But, I like Q’s UHD, Sky Cinema is in HD or UHD. On Virgin a lot of the on demand Sky Cinema is SD. 

Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini
Oracle
Post 13 of 13

@Jumping+Walrus regularly powering down the Q box is not recommended for seveal reasons other then recording schedule. The box is designed to be powered 24/7 going into low power mode at night when set in eco mode. Powering down prevents the box from doing house keeping tasks which if not done can intefere with normal operation like updating the epg, disc management functions, returning logs etc. Sky recommend keeping the box powered for a good reason. So the only normal reason to power down is to reboot which is not required regularly only to sort errors.  Very few pieces of modern electronics like TVs and audio kit have accessible power switches for similar reasons. Power usage in standby is pretty low these days.

Firmware updates are not user controllable Sky update remotely but if you miss an update - usually these are mid week overnight - you can update manually when the DRS stream is updated (normally during the day following the last batch update). Most users do not want or even realise that systems need updating so automating it makes sense. If you miss or ignore updates the box can be told to update during the day even if in use which is a pain but necessary to maintain usability.

Recommended Threads
11-04-2018 05:39 PM
27-04-2018 01:07 PM
18-03-2018 02:25 PM
Zoeelouisee 3 weeks ago 03:34 PM
02-04-2018 11:08 PM