Discussion topic: Sky Q and Gigaclear fibre router

This message was authored by Stevea999 This message was authored by: Stevea999

Sky Q and Gigaclear fibre router

I have a TV package - Sky Q multiroom, with booster, connected to a Now TV router. I want to replace the router with Gigaclear full fibre to the house, keeping my Sky package exactly as it is now.   Are there any known issues or is it just a straightforward matter of reconnecting Sky to the new router wifi. Any advice from Sky would be appreciated before I go ahead.

Steve

Best Answers
This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn Answer

Re: Sky Q and Gigaclear fibre router

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @Stevea999   I'm using Gigaclear here, zero problems. Was on BT 73 Mbps, now Gigaclear on 512 Mbps. The Sky Q Netflix App check network shows circa 475 Mbps because I am connected via Ethernet. I certainly like the Linksys mx5500 router (Parent & Child which Gigaclear call Smart WiFi). You have full control on channels etc. but remember Sky Q only connects using the 2.4 GHz band so WiFi speed will be much reduced. I would connect the Sky Q box via Ethernet to a child node (normally free for the first 18 months).

Edit: Note you will not get any advise from Sky here, as this is a customer community, not Sky customer services.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Jones_The_Cat This message was authored by: Jones_The_Cat

@Stevea999 wrote:

I have a TV package - Sky Q multiroom, with booster, connected to a Now TV router. I want to replace the router with Gigaclear full fibre to the house, keeping my Sky package exactly as it is now.   Are there any known issues or is it just a straightforward matter of reconnecting Sky to the new router wifi. Any advice from Sky would be appreciated before I go ahead.

Steve

You should be fine. I just did a quick search of the forum and someone posted about switching to Gigaclear last year:

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Sky-Q-box-not-connecting-to-gigaclear-broadband/m-p/4385866 

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn Answer

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @Stevea999   I'm using Gigaclear here, zero problems. Was on BT 73 Mbps, now Gigaclear on 512 Mbps. The Sky Q Netflix App check network shows circa 475 Mbps because I am connected via Ethernet. I certainly like the Linksys mx5500 router (Parent & Child which Gigaclear call Smart WiFi). You have full control on channels etc. but remember Sky Q only connects using the 2.4 GHz band so WiFi speed will be much reduced. I would connect the Sky Q box via Ethernet to a child node (normally free for the first 18 months).

Edit: Note you will not get any advise from Sky here, as this is a customer community, not Sky customer services.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion