Sky Q and Draytek router

Answered
Go to Answer
Runner
Post 1 of 36

Sky Q and Draytek router

I have wireless broadband (live in the middle of nowhere) using a DrayTek router.  WiFi and wired (power line) connections work perfectly for computers, laptops,phones, etc.

However,  my Sky Q box finds the network and connects to the router, but won’t connect to the internet.  I’ve tried wireless and ethernet powerline connections to no avail.  I’ve a feeling this might be something to do with DHCP settings on the  router.  Any ideas, thoughts would be very much appreciated.

I am thinking 

Answer

Best Answers
Answer
Oracle
Post 10 of 36

Re: Sky Q and Draytek router

@njbee

No, you can't do that on the router: such things are done further upstream.

I would try setting DNS Server to the same as Router (i.e. both on 192.168.1.1) - it's unusual for an individual network device to be querying an ISPs DNS directly: generally each internal device uses the Router for DNS resolution, and the Router queries the ISP.  However, it's not impossible that the setting in your picture is correct for your particular service provider.

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet), BT ADSL (14Mbs), BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (Android 4.4 KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Android 7.1.2 Nougat), LG 49UJ701V with Yamaha RX-V375, Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
All Replies
Runner
Post 2 of 36

I was going to say I’m thinking of investing in a Netgear Orbi Mesh WiFi system, keeping the DrayTek as the ADSL modem, but I’d like to get the basic system working before making the investment.

Director of Photography
Post 3 of 36

As your other devices are working, I would start with your Q box, the only device you are having issues with  Smiley Wink  If you go into the settings of your Q box, and go into the advanced network settings, could you please post the IP configuration details listed there (IP address, router and DNS).

First Assistant Director
Post 4 of 36

Hi @njbee welcome to the forums,

There have been a lot of posts about wireless broadband having issues with downloading the Guide, Thumbnails and Shows. It's almost always down to the MTU size which should be 1500 or 1492 for SkyQ to work optimally.

What is the MTU on yours?

You should find it in the Draytek management interface, usually under WAN -> Internet Access. DrayTek make awesome routers which are infinitely configurable so you should be able to change it. Smiley Happy

If it's not that, let us know who your provider is and what your latency and speeds are on speedtest.

SkyQ 2TB 2160P 10Bit - Samsung UE40JU6400
Q Mini 1080p - Samsung LE40A656
All wireless connection, Box Sets Bundle with Sky Cinema and Sky Sports. BT Home Hub 6 with 52Mb fibre.
Oracle
Post 5 of 36

@njbee The "no internet" error from Sky Q means that the box cannot see Sky's servers and is caused by a number of possible issues. Complex routers like the Draytek have a number of configurable settings - have you set up some unusual firewall rules? In particular ensure UPnP is enabled. 

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Runner
Post 6 of 36

IMG_1478.jpg

Runner
Post 7 of 36

Hi

Posted photo of settings below

Thanks

Nick

Oracle
Post 8 of 36

@njbee

The top three are standard internal network configuration.

The bottom one is an IP address in a netblock owned by Cogent Communications, who are a large US-based ISP.  It's quite possible your WISP is buying connectivity from them.  I'm not near my Q boxes to look at their configuration: what are the labels next to those boxes?

Your problem is most likely resulting from your WISP blocking a port or restricting access to an external service that Q requires.  This also happens when Q subscribers try to use some cellular connections.

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet), BT ADSL (14Mbs), BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (Android 4.4 KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Android 7.1.2 Nougat), LG 49UJ701V with Yamaha RX-V375, Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
Runner
Post 9 of 36

the labels are

IP Address

Subnet Mask

Router

DNS Server

Not sure what I need to do to get blocked or restricted access sorted?  Is this somethuing I can force on the router?

Nick

Answer
Oracle
Post 10 of 36

@njbee

No, you can't do that on the router: such things are done further upstream.

I would try setting DNS Server to the same as Router (i.e. both on 192.168.1.1) - it's unusual for an individual network device to be querying an ISPs DNS directly: generally each internal device uses the Router for DNS resolution, and the Router queries the ISP.  However, it's not impossible that the setting in your picture is correct for your particular service provider.

Runner
Post 11 of 36

I'll give it a try later when I get home.

Thanks

Nick

Runner
Post 12 of 36

I'll check that later thanks

Nick

@Chrisee wrote:

@njbee The "no internet" error from Sky Q means that the box cannot see Sky's servers and is caused by a number of possible issues. Complex routers like the Draytek have a number of configurable settings - have you set up some unusual firewall rules? In particular ensure UPnP is enabled. 

Runner
Post 13 of 36

I'll have a mess with the IP settings later.  Draytek have also made a couple of suggestions :-

"Go to Applications >> UPnP, and enable both Enable Connection Control Service, and Enable Connection Status Service.

And also, upgrade the Firmware to the latest"

Sound Supervisor
Post 14 of 36

@njbee wrote:

I was going to say I’m thinking of investing in a Netgear Orbi Mesh WiFi system, keeping the DrayTek as the ADSL modem, but I’d like to get the basic system working before making the investment.

We have a non wi-fi capable DrayTek router at the heart of our system connected to a Raspberry pi, Apple Time Capsule and Netgear EX6200 extender. The Sky Q box is connected by LAN cable to the extender. There have been no problems with the box accessing the Internet

My son manages all the settings on the router and all I wanted to say was that following some wi-fi problems tracked down to the extender, I took delivery of an Orbi set up this morning. It will not though be installed until my son returns from work tonight

Oracle
Post 15 of 36

@njbee Drayteks advice seems correct although the issue @TimmyBGood mentions could be a factor. Sky Q runs several security issues blocking connections if the box thinks it is outside the UK but I would expect a different error message.

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Recommended Threads
09-08-2018 07:47 PM
Zoeelouisee 23-07-2018 03:34 PM
a week ago 07:18 PM
13-10-2018 08:54 AM
2 weeks ago 09:29 AM