Sky Q almost unusable

Camera Assistant
Post 1 of 15

Sky Q almost unusable

For the past couple of weeks, our entire Sky Q install (Silver+1x mini) has been nigh on unusable. The problems are:

• Some channels not working, with the screen going black followed by a “technical fault” message
  • Recordings skipping
  • Recordings taking a while to start (showing a black screen for up to 30 seconds)
  • Recordings not playing, with a message about being no longer available
  • Picture breakup on live channels
  • Constant connectivity issues on mini (connected via Ethernet with WiFi turned off on both boxes)

Doing a power cycle solves the issues for a little while but they come back within a day.

Has anyone else been experiencing this? The only thing I’ve not tried yet is a full reset, but I’m hoping there’s a non-destructive solution to try first.

Sky Q silver + 1 mini; Fibre Unlimited.
All Replies
Oracle
Post 2 of 15

Re: Sky Q almost unusable

@skydundee wrote:

For the past couple of weeks, our entire Sky Q install (Silver+1x mini) has been nigh on unusable. The problems are:

• Some channels not working, with the screen going black followed by a “technical fault” message
  • Recordings skipping
  • Recordings taking a while to start (showing a black screen for up to 30 seconds)
  • Constant connectivity issues on mini (connected via Ethernet with WiFi turned off on both boxes)

Doing a power cycle solves the issues for a little while but they come back within a day.

Has anyone else been experiencing this? The only thing I’ve not tried yet is a full reset, but I’m hoping there’s a non-destructive solution to try first.

Hi @skydundee

What do Sky say about your issues ?

First Assistant Director
Post 3 of 15

@skydundee wrote:

• Recordings skipping

Can’t believe you’ve put up,with it this long. Call to Sky’s in order I think 

BT Ultra Infinity. Apple Time Capsule. Sky Q 2TB watching UHD through a LG OLED55B7 and listening through a soundbox. Multiroom with 2 miniboxes
Camera Assistant
Post 4 of 15

@oldfella wrote:

@skydundee wrote:

• Recordings skipping

Hi @skydundee

I’ve not been in touch with them yet - I’ve actually only just found out about the full extent of the issues today, having not watched TV via the Q box for a while (and nobody tells me anything in this house!).

I thought I’d find out from here first if this has been a common thing with new software before giving them a call tomorrow. 

Oracle
Post 5 of 15

@skydundee wrote:

@oldfella wrote:

@skydundee wrote:

• Recordings skipping

Hi @skydundee

I’ve not been in touch with them yet - I’ve actually only just found out about the full extent of the issues today, having not watched TV via the Q box for a while (and nobody tells me anything in this house!).

I thought I’d find out from here first if this has been a common thing with new software before giving them a call tomorrow. 

Hi @skydundee Yes you need to get sky back out. https://contactus.sky.com/uk

My Opinions Are My Own And Do Not Reflect Those Of Sky.
Oracle
Post 6 of 15

As you have many different issues @skydundee you need to get Sky engineer visit to investigate

Camera Assistant
Post 7 of 15

Having thought about this more, as someone with a bit of experience of how systems work (at a general level), multiple failures like this that are corrected for a short time by a power cycle tend to point to hardware malfunction.

Turns out the box was getting very hot - difficult to touch hot, not just mildly cosy. Somewhat embarassingly, there was a bit of a build-up of dust in the fan vent; plus being in a fairly enclosed unit with a Blu-ray player on top likely wasn't helping.

I've given it a good clean-out, and moved it to the top of the unit (handily, we took up the LG UHD TV offer and the box fits nicely below it). The power is disconnected for now (probably till morning) to give it a chance to fully cool down. We'll see if this corrects things before bothering Sky.

Camera Assistant
Post 8 of 15

@skydundee wrote:

Having thought about this more, as someone with a bit of experience of how systems work (at a general level), multiple failures like this that are corrected for a short time by a power cycle tend to point to hardware malfunction.

Turns out the box was getting very hot - difficult to touch hot, not just mildly cosy. Somewhat embarassingly, there was a bit of a build-up of dust in the fan vent; plus being in a fairly enclosed unit with a Blu-ray player on top likely wasn't helping.

I've given it a good clean-out, and moved it to the top of the unit (handily, we took up the LG UHD TV offer and the box fits nicely below it). The power is disconnected for now (probably till morning) to give it a chance to fully cool down. We'll see if this corrects things before bothering Sky.

You have a V1 box with the power suppy inside the box. If it was me a box that hot and those issues, I'd be on to Sky to get a V2 box. The V2 box has the power supply external and thus the box doesn't get that hot.

Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini
Oracle
Post 9 of 15

@skydundee The case of the Q box is an active part of the cooling stacking kit on top is very likely to cause over heating especially in hot weather*. The v1 box is therrmally stable with case temperatures  of 50 degrees or so - hot to the touch but not so hot you cannot leave a hand on it it. That means the internal comonents are running at 80 degrees or so which is perfectly ok but increase that to external temps of 60+ then you are going to over heat the internal components and surprise surprise you start to get errors.

Although the v2 box runs cooler as the power supply is external should never be in a stack.. Ensure the box has ventilaion above and below and run a vacuum over the vents and it should run normally. If it has been damaged by excessive heat and needs replacing dont let the engineer see the box in a stack as you may get a bill!. 

* people say the thermally conductive case is bad part of the design because it gets hot when in fact that is exactly what it is designed to do - conduct heat away from the electronics. The Q box has to disapate around 70 watts from a small box so like a incandescent light bulb it gets hot. 

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Director of Photography
Post 10 of 15

@skydundee wrote:

Great to see an honest reply at resolving the issue. If you still have issues the box may still need swapping out if components were working outside their normal window,

First Assistant Director
Post 11 of 15

@JonW42 wrote:

@skydundee wrote:

You have a V1 box with the power suppy inside the box. If it was me a box that hot and those issues, I'd be on to Sky to get a V2 box. The V2 box has the power supply external and thus the box doesn't get that hot.

Nothing  wrong with the V1 box if it's positioned correctly and doesn’t have anything on top of it. It’s designed to get hot on the outside, that’s how it dissipates heat. 

If everyone took your advice Sky wouldn’t be able to cope with box swaps 

BT Ultra Infinity. Apple Time Capsule. Sky Q 2TB watching UHD through a LG OLED55B7 and listening through a soundbox. Multiroom with 2 miniboxes
Director of Photography
Post 12 of 15

Modern power supplies are very efficient and don't contribute to heat that much. Other items like processor will have a higher impact.

Something in back of my mind says some countries insist on an external power supplies for set-top boxes and more likely the PSU was pushed outside the case to make same model for other Sky Q countries. 

Oracle
Post 13 of 15

@GordonTGopher wrote:

Modern power supplies are very efficient and don't contribute to heat that much. Other items like processor will have a higher impact.

Something in back of my mind says some countries insist on an external power supplies for set-top boxes and more likely the PSU was pushed outside the case to make same model for other Sky Q countries. 

It’s certainly the power supply that’s contributes to heat in the V1 box.

There is a vast temperature difference between V1 and V2 box temperatures.

Camera Assistant
Post 14 of 15

@skinner1965 wrote:

Nothing  wrong with the V1 box if it's positioned correctly and doesn’t have anything on top of it. It’s designed to get hot on the outside, that’s how it dissipates heat. 

If everyone took your advice Sky wouldn’t be able to cope with box swaps 

The V1 box is supposed to get hot. But it's not supposed to get too hot to be able to touch. The V1 box I have gets's hot. Hottest is on the left side when facing the box. But, it's not too hot for me to touch. When the box gets that hot, it could be overheating and causing the errors. If after the duting, and removing the other things on top, if it's still too hot to touch, then I would call out Sky to do a box swap. If the box cools down and there are still errors, then a call to Sky is needed.

Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini
Camera Assistant
Post 15 of 15

Well, so far so good it would seem.

I didn’t get a chance to check things yesterday, but so far this morning I’ve been watching on the mini for over an hour with no connectivity issues, and someone has been watching something downstairs on chase play (to cut out the adverts) for about the same length of time, also with no issues.

The moral of the story is - keep it clean, and keep it ventilated! 

Recommended Threads
11-04-2018 05:39 PM
27-04-2018 01:07 PM
18-03-2018 02:25 PM
02-04-2018 11:08 PM
24-04-2018 08:32 PM