Discussion topic: Sky Q Wi-Fi hotspots over ethernet

This message was authored by Glenn1997 This message was authored by: Glenn1997

Sky Q Wi-Fi hotspots over ethernet

I have just connected my Sky Q box direct to my non-Sky broadband router via ethernet. When I reactivated the Sky Q Wi-Fi hotspots I had to reselect my WiFi network and enter my password twice. I'm therefore not sure if my Sky box is connected by ethernet or WiFi now.  Did I have to re-enter my password so that the system knows what my SSID and password was to allow other devices to the same network or is my Sky box now connected via WiFi?

Best Answers
This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

Re: Sky Q Wi-Fi hotspots over ethernet

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Glenn1997 wrote:

But my question is are you sure the use of hotspots turns off ethernet? I am asked for my WiFi password twice which suggests that I am setting the password. Also, when it is activated, the Sky Q's box internet connection seems to remain active and doesn't need a minute to reactivate. This includes when I turn WiFi off and on in the engineer's menu.

Hi @Glenn1997 

Turning on Q mini hotspots for 3rd party broadband has no influence on the Ethernet connectivity.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/wifi-hotspots

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

I don't use the hotspot feature for exactly that reason. I mean it needs to know the ssid & password to act as a hotspot on the same network but having wifi switched on, I have found the Q will revert to it randomly causing issues.

I also already had a wifi mesh anyway so didn't need that feature.

You could tey downloading something on Q and seeing if the router will report traffic by ethernet port or even just look at the light on the port to see if there's loads of activity.

Glenn1997
Topic Author

But my question is are you sure the use of hotspots turns off ethernet? I am asked for my WiFi password twice which suggests that I am setting the password. Also, when it is activated, the Sky Q's box internet connection seems to remain active and doesn't need a minute to reactivate. This includes when I turn WiFi off and on in the engineer's menu.

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

@Glenn1997 wrote:

Hi @Glenn1997 

Turning on Q mini hotspots for 3rd party broadband has no influence on the Ethernet connectivity.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/wifi-hotspots

Glenn1997
Topic Author

Thanks for confirming. So when I am asked to enter my WiFi password when activating the feature, that is just to allow other devices to recognise the Sky Q boxes as part of the same network?

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@Glenn1997 wrote:

Thanks for confirming. So when I am asked to enter my WiFi password when activating the feature, that is just to allow other devices to recognise the Sky Q boxes as part of the same network?

Hi @Glenn1997 

I haven't personally been through the procedure.

How to turn on WiFi hotspots

1. Press Home on your Sky Q remote, then select Settings, followed by Setup and then Network.
  2. Select Advance Settings, and then WiFi hotspots and select Turn on.
  3. Enter your TV Pin to confirm.
  4. You will then see information screens about enabling WiFi hotspots on your Sky Q boxes, select continue to accept.
  5. If your router/hub is set up correctly, you will then see a confirmation screen that WiFi hotspots is now set up.

However it certainly will not switch off Ethernet capability.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion