Sky Q V2 box grainy picture.

Sound Designer
Post 16 of 25

Re: Sky Q V2 box grainy picture.

@Quoman7 wrote:

@Jamesmccaul wrote:

I recently had my Sky Q box replaced due to a fault and I have to say I’ve noticed the HD picture is not as good as the one my original box provided. In general the HD picture is very grainy and blocks of colour often break up into pixelated sections, especially in dark areas.  The new box is the one with the power pack outside the box which my original wasn’t. I have tried altering my tv settings (55 LGoled) but it made no difference, although I shouldn’t really have to as the morning of the engineer visit the previous box was working fine in HD with the tv. I’m not convinced it’s an actual fault but just the picture the new box provides, just like when Sony said the new ps3 noise level was a feature rather than a fault. I have an engineer booked for next week to show him the grainy weird bits but I doubt they’ll believe me when I say the previous box didn’t show them. I’d like to try a V1 box again but the sky technical help desk had no idea there were different boxes. 

So just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience? 

Having looked at your user manual for your tv, have you tried in picture options "setting super resolution to on"

as this makes a dim and blurred picture clearer.

And is your tv software the current one which was rolled out last month, version 04.70.95

Hope this helps?

Cheers. Tried that just now. No difference really. Also software is up to date. Thanks for trying. 

Sound Designer
Post 17 of 25

Final update from me. Originally experienced flickering during 4K Sky programming even when image was paused. Engineer came and swapped box for V2, I updated the sky box software and 4K flickering was gone. However I wasn’t happy with the HD picture the V2 provided. It was very grainy and not as good in general as the one I had before. So three days ago I had a second engineer visit. Luckily he had a V1 box on his van and swapped it over for me. With this new V1 box, firstly no 4K flickering, massive sigh of relief and secondly a much better HD picture. No grainy overlay or blocks of solid colour breaking up as the V2 had been giving me. 

I changed TV settings for days trying to solve both problems and nothing worked. It was suggested that the V2 box needed time to ‘run in’ but this didn’t work for me either. My own personal opinion is that the V1 box (with no power pack) provides a better HD picture. So if they’re doing an update to solve the 4K flickering I’d keep hold of your original boxes. This is just my opinion and others may have had different experiences, I just thought it might be useful to share what has happened to me. 

Executive Producer
Post 18 of 25

@Jamesmccaul wrote:

Final update from me. Originally experienced flickering during 4K Sky programming even when image was paused. Engineer came and swapped box for V2, I updated the sky box software and 4K flickering was gone. However I wasn’t happy with the HD picture the V2 provided. It was very grainy and not as good in general as the one I had before. So three days ago I had a second engineer visit. Luckily he had a V1 box on his van and swapped it over for me. With this new V1 box, firstly no 4K flickering, massive sigh of relief and secondly a much better HD picture. No grainy overlay or blocks of solid colour breaking up as the V2 had been giving me. 

I changed TV settings for days trying to solve both problems and nothing worked. It was suggested that the V2 box needed time to ‘run in’ but this didn’t work for me either. My own personal opinion is that the V1 box (with no power pack) provides a better HD picture. So if they’re doing an update to solve the 4K flickering I’d keep hold of your original boxes. This is just my opinion and others may have had different experiences, I just thought it might be useful to share what has happened to me. 

The advice that the box needed to run in is brilliant, never heard so much rubbish! 

BT Ultra Infinity. Apple Time Capsule. Sky Q 2TB watching UHD through a LG OLED55B7 and listening through a soundbox. Multiroom with 2 miniboxes
Runner
Post 19 of 25

yes, I have the same problem but on all channels.

I had SKY Q installed a few weeks ago and have found the following problems and am thinking of going back to the old box:

>Grainy/ghosty picture on all normal channels, although free HD channels are fine

>It takes 2.5 seconds to go from one channel to another

>The tiny remote has buttons on in the usual uder friendly way

>No privacy as i cannot record stuff on the mini box which is provate, it's all part of one unit. I can set pin codes but that defeats the object.

>The home page is not as good as the old home page

>cannot easily put subtitles on or off on the mini remote

>I've had 4 engineer visits and none of them have solved the first issue above except for saying upgrade to HD, extra cost!!!!

HELP!!!!!!

Director of Photography
Post 20 of 25

@maxxy17 wrote:

yes, I have the same problem but on all channels.

I had SKY Q installed a few weeks ago and have found the following problems and am thinking of going back to the old box:

>Grainy/ghosty picture on all normal channels, although free HD channels are fine

>It takes 2.5 seconds to go from one channel to another

>The tiny remote has buttons on in the usual uder friendly way

>No privacy as i cannot record stuff on the mini box which is provate, it's all part of one unit. I can set pin codes but that defeats the object.

>The home page is not as good as the old home page

>cannot easily put subtitles on or off on the mini remote

>I've had 4 engineer visits and none of them have solved the first issue above except for saying upgrade to HD, extra cost!!!!

HELP!!!!!!

Since you find SD grainy/ghosty, there is only on solution and that is you get an HD subscription. That would solve the problem for any channel that's in HD. Plus as you notice, you do get a much better picture. And the cost is not that much. Just forgo going out and getting a drink & pastry once a month and HD is paid for.

2.5 seconds to change channels is normal. Nothing wrong there.

The tiny remote buttons (that you think are tiny) are normal. Nothing wrong there. But, you can call the accessability department and request an accessable Q remote. It's basically a +HD remote for Q.

Yes, everything is recorded on the one box and there is no way to hide it from others. No problem there. That's how it is.

What is it you dislike about the home screen?

With the accessableremote, there is a subtitles button. But if you are using a voice remote, you can just say 'subtitles on' or 'subtitles off'.

What is it about £5 a month that's too expensive to get a much better picture on screen?

Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini
Runner
Post 21 of 25

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply, much appreciated, however:

All the engineers have said the same thing as you have:

Since you find SD grainy/ghosty, there is only on solution and that is you get an HD subscription. That would solve the problem for any channel that's in HD. Plus as you notice, you do get a much better picture. 

But how does this solve the problem for normal channels? i am failing to understand this. By upgrading to HD all the channels that are available on HD will give a better picture but what about the other channels that are bradcast in normal?  No one as yet has explained this clearely to me, maybe I just getting too old...look forward to your reply.

Thanks 

Runner
Post 22 of 25

Sorry i failed to mention that the free HD channels currently give a good picture already.

Director of Photography
Post 23 of 25

@maxxy17 wrote:

Since you find SD grainy/ghosty, there is only on solution and that is you get an HD subscription. That would solve the problem for any channel that's in HD. Plus as you notice, you do get a much better picture. 

But how does this solve the problem for normal channels? i am failing to understand this. By upgrading to HD all the channels that are available on HD will give a better picture but what about the other channels that are bradcast in normal?  No one as yet has explained this clearely to me, maybe I just getting too old...look forward to your reply.

Thanks 

Could it be a problem with the TV? Try different HDMI inputs. Also try another TV. I don't have ghosting here in SD and this is the first time I've read about SD having ghosting problems. That's why I m thinking it could be the TV.

Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini
Researcher
Post 24 of 25

@Pacco65 wrote:

Could be mistaken, but I think this exact issue was reported by more than one person who had their box swapped over from a V1 to a V2 because of the flickering issue. Typically can't seem to find the thread when I want to though.

Edit: Found it - there are a few people reporting a grainy picture following a box swap from V1 to V2, so it looks like you're not alone:

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Possible-problem-with-skyQ-box-or-with-UHD-movies/td-p/2853659/

I've had a V2 Sky Q 2TB installed since July gone, before that had 2 Sky HD Boxes. When only had the Sky HD Boxes didn't have any problems, once the Sky Q 2TB Box (with the external power brick) was installed had nothing but problems in regards to [Black Flashes], had an engineer to my address last week as 1 of the 2 Sky Q Mini Boxes Fail with linking up to main box and wifi, anyway he changed the Mini Box, and when I told him about the [Black Flashing] on the main box, he said he could change that over for a Reconditioned Sky Q 2TB V1 Box (power supply inside of box) he said I would lose all recordings on the main box we already had installed, but I wasn't bothered about that, as long as the [Black Flashing] problem was sorted. Since the Main Box has been swapped from the Latest V2 Box to a Reconditioned V1 Box everything has been fine, NO [Black Flashing], and the picture has been spot on, and me like you I have a LG 4K TV (not OLED though) 60" LED 4K LG TV. So it looks like it's the Sky Q 2TB Latest V2 Boxes where the problem is. The engineer did say there isn't any problems with Sky Q 1TB as they all have there power supply inside there boxes, just like the V1 of the Sky Q 2TB. Hope this helps and I hope you got your problem sorted, if not ask for the V1 Box back.

Researcher
Post 25 of 25

@JonW42 wrote:

@maxxy17 wrote:

Thanks 

Could it be a problem with the TV? Try different HDMI inputs. Also try another TV. I don't have ghosting here in SD and this is the first time I've read about SD having ghosting problems. That's why I m thinking it could be the TV.

Could it be they are using a Black and White TV from the 1960's that has the TV Aerial connected to the TV, hence why all the ghosting is there, and they aren't really watching Sky TV but Analogue TV that no longer exists...................Ha! Ha! Ha!

Recommended Threads
09-08-2018 07:47 PM
Zoeelouisee 23-07-2018 03:34 PM
Friday 07:18 PM
13-10-2018 08:54 AM
2 weeks ago 09:29 AM