Sky Q V2 box grainy picture.

Boom Operator
Post 1 of 18

Sky Q V2 box grainy picture.

I recently had my Sky Q box replaced due to a fault and I have to say I’ve noticed the HD picture is not as good as the one my original box provided. In general the HD picture is very grainy and blocks of colour often break up into pixelated sections, especially in dark areas.  The new box is the one with the power pack outside the box which my original wasn’t. I have tried altering my tv settings (55 LGoled) but it made no difference, although I shouldn’t really have to as the morning of the engineer visit the previous box was working fine in HD with the tv. I’m not convinced it’s an actual fault but just the picture the new box provides, just like when Sony said the new ps3 noise level was a feature rather than a fault. I have an engineer booked for next week to show him the grainy weird bits but I doubt they’ll believe me when I say the previous box didn’t show them. I’d like to try a V1 box again but the sky technical help desk had no idea there were different boxes. 

So just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience? 

All Replies
Oracle
Oracle
Post 2 of 18

Re: Sky Q V2 box grainy picture.

@Jamesmccaul wrote:

I recently had my Sky Q box replaced due to a fault and I have to say I’ve noticed the HD picture is not as good as the one my original box provided. In general the HD picture is very grainy and blocks of colour often break up into pixelated sections, especially in dark areas.  The new box is the one with the power pack outside the box which my original wasn’t. I have tried altering my tv settings (55 LGoled) but it made no difference, although I shouldn’t really have to as the morning of the engineer visit the previous box was working fine in HD with the tv. I’m not convinced it’s an actual fault but just the picture the new box provides, just like when Sony said the new ps3 noise level was a feature rather than a fault. I have an engineer booked for next week to show him the grainy weird bits but I doubt they’ll believe me when I say the previous box didn’t show them. I’d like to try a V1 box again but the sky technical help desk had no idea there were different boxes. 

This isn’t either normal nor as far as I am aware been reported before. Are you using the Sky provided HDMI cable?

Stuart R
I am responsible for the content, but not the way it is presented, I have some sight issues
Auto-Correct is my enemy.
If this is your first post - Welcome
Sky Q - full package
Boom Operator
Post 3 of 18

Yes using the brand new sky hdmi that came with the box. Also have tried the previous sky cable I was using with my old box and others too. Still have the same issue. 

Executive Producer
Post 4 of 18

Could be mistaken, but I think this exact issue was reported by more than one person who had their box swapped over from a V1 to a V2 because of the flickering issue. Typically can't seem to find the thread when I want to though.

Edit: Found it - there are a few people reporting a grainy picture following a box swap from V1 to V2, so it looks like you're not alone:

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Possible-problem-with-skyQ-box-or-with-UHD-movies/td-p/2853659/

Boom Operator
Post 5 of 18

Yeah I’m on that thread too but it ground to a halt so I thought I’d ask again. It’s called Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies. Sorry don’t know how to share link. 

Executive Producer
Post 6 of 18

@Jamesmccaul wrote:

Yeah I’m on that thread too but it ground to a halt so I thought I’d ask again. It’s called Possible problem with skyQ box or with UHD movies. Sorry don’t know how to share link. 

At least you know you're not alone. Sky should be aware of the issue, so the engineer should hopefully be able to do something to resolve the issue for you.

Oracle
Post 7 of 18

@Jamesmccaul wrote:

Hi @Jamesmccaul

Certainly this isn’t a general issue as I have had a V1 box and now using a V2 with no discernible difference in picture quality.

Managing Editor
Post 8 of 18

@Jamesmccaul wrote:

Have you turned deep colour to on in your TV HDMI setting?

Boom Operator
Post 9 of 18

Yeah have UHD deep colour on, the UHD content is fine, although not as good as my 4K Blu-ray 😃😃. All tv settings are the same as my last box which seemed to provide better HD picture. 

Managing Editor
Post 10 of 18

@Jamesmccaul wrote:

Yeah have UHD deep colour on, the UHD content is fine, although not as good as my 4K Blu-ray 😃😃. All tv settings are the same as my last box which seemed to provide better HD picture. 

Have you tried a box reboot turn power off for 30 secs then reconnect?

Boom Operator
Post 11 of 18

@Quoman7 wrote:

@Jamesmccaul wrote:

Have you tried a box reboot turn power off for 30 secs then reconnect?

Yeah, I have tried that too. Went through some troubleshooting on the phone with sky as well but it hasn’t changed. Unfortunately. 

Highlighted
Camera Assistant
Post 12 of 18

It's been said that the V2 box will settle down after some burn-in .I cannot say if that's true or not, but you've nothing to lose by keeping the box on when not watching TV.

Sky Q 2TB V1 -- LG 55UH850V UHD TV -- 1 Mini
Boom Operator
Post 13 of 18

Yes I heard that too from the other thread. I’ve been using this box for over three weeks so I’m not sure that means much. But I’ll mention it to the guy next week. 

Managing Editor
Post 14 of 18

@oldfella wrote:

@Jamesmccaul wrote:

Hi @Jamesmccaul

Certainly this isn’t a general issue as I have had a V1 box and now using a V2 with no discernible difference in picture quality.

Same here @oldfella had V1 box attached to my bog standard HD tv Then had the V2 box attached to my bog standard HD tv. Just recently updated my tv to 4k no difference in picture quality watching HD or UHD content.

Meaning it's not grainy

Managing Editor
Post 15 of 18

@Jamesmccaul wrote:

Having looked at your user manual for your tv, have you tried in picture options "setting super resolution to on"

as this makes a dim and blurred picture clearer.

And is your tv software the current one which was rolled out last month, version 04.70.95

Hope this helps?

Recommended Threads
Oracle 01-05-2018 08:25 PM
a week ago 09:16 PM
Oracle 25-04-2018 12:19 AM
Oracle 09-02-2018 06:54 PM
Oracle 23-05-2018 05:01 PM