Discussion topic: Sky Q News remote stopped working completely

This message was authored by Gemmamac87 This message was authored by: Gemmamac87

Sky Q News remote stopped working completely

Hello hoping for some help,

I recently had to change my tv and was getting round to pairing the remote today to allow the volume to be controlled however my sky q remote has stopped working altogether, have switched off at the wall and also rebooted the box, have followed guide for re-pairing the remote but the message does not appear on screen as directed or work to fix the issue. Have also changed batteries but this was not the issue as lights still working. 

Best Answers
This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

Re: Sky Q News remote stopped working completely

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Gemmamac87 wrote:

@oldfella yes green light on the box and the remote flashes when doing the 7 and 9 thing.

I've downloaded a remote app in the meantime and the box and everything is working ok so presuming just an issue with the remote.

Hi @Gemmamac87 

Make sure that the Q box Infrared sensor is not hidden from the Remote when you press 1 & 3 together.

If the remote LED flashed 4 times with 7 & 9 then the remote should work the Q box by Infrared.  However It will not be Bluetooth and therefore need direct line of sight to the Q Box infrared sensor

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@Gemmamac87 wrote:

Hello hoping for some help,

I recently had to change my tv and was getting round to pairing the remote today to allow the volume to be controlled however my sky q remote has stopped working altogether, have switched off at the wall and also rebooted the box, have followed guide for re-pairing the remote but the message does not appear on screen as directed or work to fix the issue. Have also changed batteries but this was not the issue as lights still working. 

Hi @Gemmamac87 

Did you complete the following?

Try completly resetting your Bluetooth remote.
Press and hold 7 & 9 together on the remote until it’s led flashes four times.
Then make sure that you are pointing your remote at the Q box and press 1 & 3 together until the remote led flashes and follow onscreen instructions to re- pair.

Gemmamac87
Topic Author
This message was authored by Gemmamac87 This message was authored by: Gemmamac87

@oldfella hello,

yes I've tried this a few times but don't get the message on screen and remote still remains the same. 

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@Gemmamac87 wrote:

@oldfella hello,

yes I've tried this a few times but don't get the message on screen and remote still remains the same. 

Hi @Gemmamac87 

Assume your Q box is on with Green Led?

Also your TV set switched to the correct HDMI input for you Q box?

Does the Remote led flash 4 times when you press and hold 7 & 9 together?

Gemmamac87
Topic Author

@oldfella yes green light on the box and the remote flashes when doing the 7 and 9 thing.

I've downloaded a remote app in the meantime and the box and everything is working ok so presuming just an issue with the remote.

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

@Gemmamac87 wrote:

Hi @Gemmamac87 

Make sure that the Q box Infrared sensor is not hidden from the Remote when you press 1 & 3 together.

If the remote LED flashed 4 times with 7 & 9 then the remote should work the Q box by Infrared.  However It will not be Bluetooth and therefore need direct line of sight to the Q Box infrared sensor

Gemmamac87
Topic Author

@oldfella your a genuius

thank you, the door was closed on the tv cabinet all now sorted 😊

This message was authored by maxymalone This message was authored by: maxymalone

my sky q remote won't work 

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@maxymalone 
After checking the basics, ie; fresh batteries, re-pairing (as above) etc if your Sky Q remote is definitely broken/faulty, if you follow this link it should allow you to do some more troubleshooting and then it’ll send you to a form to request a replacement (apparently this is not available to customers in the ROI).
https://www.sky.com/help/articles/lost-stolen-damaged-sky-q-equipment#get-in-touch

It may be quicker to purchase a new remote from a retailer or larger supermarket. If you do that as well you’ll have a spare.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by Jeaniner9 This message was authored by: Jeaniner9

Tried all the above but remote still not working and when press 1 and 3 flashes lots? 

This message was authored by LesleyB7 This message was authored by: LesleyB7

I'm having the same problem! When I press 1 and 3 it flashes lots and no on screen message.

This message was authored by Karltate This message was authored by: Karltate

I have the same issue, samsung qled TV, brand new box and remote.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion