Discussion topic: Sky Q - Need for Satellite Dish...

This message was authored by 1979kendo This message was authored by: 1979kendo

Sky Q - Need for Satellite Dish...

** TL:DR Do you still need a satellite dish for Sky Q? **

I have Sky Q but the main TV room uses a mini box due to its location (Back of the house)

Main Sky Q box is in different room (close to satellite dish) which is used less (front of the house)

This means no Ultra HD for most of the time.

Is the dish still required? Any plans to remove the need and use broadband for entire operation? This would enable us to move the main box into the main TV room.

TIA

Best Answers
This message was authored by Doc5907 This message was authored by: Doc5907 Answer

Re: Sky Q - Need for Satellite Dish...

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@1979kendo wrote:

I have Sky Q but the main TV room uses a mini box due to its location (Back of the house)

Main Sky Q box is in different room (close to satellite dish) which is used less (front of the house)

Is the dish still required? Any plans to remove the need and use broadband for entire operation? This would enable us to move the main box into the main TV room.

TIA

@1979kendo  at present for Sky Q (main and mini) a dish is a requirement. Rumours abound of a future iptv based sky box but who knows when or if this is will come.

Of course you could consider Sky Glass which is operated over internet and requires no dish

....................................................................................................................
Sky Q 1TB UHD
LG TV
Sky Mobile
BT Broadband

View this Answer within the discussion

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@1979kendo wrote:

Any plans to remove the need and use broadband for entire operation?

That would be Sky Glass.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Doc5907 This message was authored by: Doc5907 Answer

@1979kendo wrote:

TIA

@1979kendo  at present for Sky Q (main and mini) a dish is a requirement. Rumours abound of a future iptv based sky box but who knows when or if this is will come.

Of course you could consider Sky Glass which is operated over internet and requires no dish

....................................................................................................................
Sky Q 1TB UHD
LG TV
Sky Mobile
BT Broadband
1979kendo
Topic Author

Thanks - appreciate it.

I did see Glass but had hoped that they would offer Q dishless. Glass just doesnt do it for me. Doesnt seem to do all that Q does and also dont like the TV - for a start it looks like it would pull down my wall if i tried to mount it! 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@1979kendo wrote:

I did see Glass but had hoped that they would offer Q dishless.

I think that's now very unlikely as it would remove a key distinction between the product lines.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Doc5907 This message was authored by: Doc5907

@1979kendo wrote:

Thanks - appreciate it.

I did see Glass but had hoped that they would offer Q dishless. Glass just doesnt do it for me. Doesnt seem to do all that Q does and also dont like the TV - for a start it looks like it would pull down my wall if i tried to mount it! 

@1979kendo  you could consider swapping the main and mini Q boxes so the main box is feeding your main TV room. 

This will of course mean rerouting the satellite cables, but I'm sure a good local satellite installer can make a tidy job of it, or even call Sky as they could possibly do it, charging around £65.

Sky Q 1TB UHD
LG TV
Sky Mobile
BT Broadband
1979kendo
Topic Author

Thanks - tbh it would be a messy job. Before Q i had multiroom which meant a cable running over the top of the house and in at the back (Sky orginally told me i couldnt have this and i had to have a 2nd dish on my garage out the back....). Dont want to go back to this setup tbh.

To run a cable through my house would be worse. will keep it as it is. I only watch the footy in the UHD room so will keep doing that.

This message was authored by Leepo1970 This message was authored by: Leepo1970

Why would i purchase a glass tv when just purchased over a grands worth of new tv? How come other channel supplyers do not have to use a dish! I hear skyQ in germany are not having to use a dish? Is it they are just pushing glass!! My dish has fell off due to wind (2 weeks wait) And sky does not allow you to stream (airplay2) or whatever your using to watch on yoursmart tv??? apart from a cable!!! Time for a change "one thinks"

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Leepo1970  Sky Q over IP in Germany does not carry UHD, only HD.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

@Leepo1970 wrote:

Why would i purchase a glass tv when just purchased over a grands worth of new tv? How come other channel supplyers do not have to use a dish! I hear skyQ in germany are not having to use a dish? Is it they are just pushing glass!! My dish has fell off due to wind (2 weeks wait) And sky does not allow you to stream (airplay2) or whatever your using to watch on yoursmart tv??? apart from a cable!!! Time for a change "one thinks"

They don't have to Sly have just chose to market it that way. The Puck which you can buy with the Glass uses your own TV so there is no real reason they could not supply that independently HOWEVER streaming has its own disadvantages.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion