Sky Q Installation - Hybrid LNB Request

This topic has been answered
Go to Answer
Boom Operator
Post 1 of 50

Sky Q Installation - Hybrid LNB Request

Hello,

I'm getting SkyQ installed within the next few weeks.  I've spokenw ith the home move team twice now about the possibility of getting a hybrid LNB for Freesat.

However, they have told me this is not possible until I speak with the installer - who will contact me the evening before or on the morning of the install.  However, if he does not have a hybrid LNB for me then the installation is pointless as I require the quattro inputs for the other roms in my house.  

Is there any way for me to get this added to my install sheet for the installer?  I've read on another thread here that you inform Sky of this and it is added to the order (Ref: Hybrid LNB query).  I've asked twice about this and I've been told both times that it is up to the installer.  How do I get this added to the order?

Thanks.

Answer

Best Answers
Answer
Boom Operator
Post 23 of 50

Re: Sky Q Installation - Hybrid LNB Request

System is now installed.  I ended up getting the standard dish installed.  Mounting bracket looks a bit cheap and cheerful, but it will suffice.  Also got the Hybrid LNB as well.

I just have to get the SkyQ box moved into the comms cupboard when the electrican tidies up the network cables and installs the router.

I was advised somewhere to label the VH, Vl, HH, HL cabling to the multiswitch, but it turns out this is not required and they can be connected to any input on the LNB and will work.  I am not sure if the SkyQ inputs needed marked - something tells me not.

All Replies
Director of Photography
Post 2 of 50

@Redmi wrote:

Hello,

I'm getting SkyQ installed within the next few weeks.  I've spokenw ith the home move team twice now about the possibility of getting a hybrid LNB for Freesat.

However, they have told me this is not possible until I speak with the installer - who will contact me the evening before or on the morning of the install.  However, if he does not have a hybrid LNB for me then the installation is pointless as I require the quattro inputs for the other roms in my house.  

Is there any way for me to get this added to my install sheet for the installer?  I've read on another thread here that you inform Sky of this and it is added to the order (Ref: Hybrid LNB query).  I've asked twice about this and I've been told both times that it is up to the installer.  How do I get this added to the order?

Thanks.

Point the Sky advisor in the direction of the FAQ on this forum (Sky Q). It states very clearly:

"I have a FREESAT setup, can I retain this?

Yes you can, please advise this when ordering." 

Oracle
Post 3 of 50

@Redmi

No, it's not 'up to the installer'. The note that a Hybrid is required needs to be on the job sheet, and that comes via the Call Centre. You need to be very specific that you have existing FreeSat hardware which you wish to continue using. Confirm with the installer if they contact you before arriving.

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet), BT ADSL (14Mbs), BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (Android 4.4 KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Android 7.1.2 Nougat), LG 49UJ701V with Yamaha RX-V375, Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
Producer
Post 4 of 50

Did you specifically ask them if they could add a note to your install job sheet that you require a Hybrid LNB?

If so you may just have to persist until you speak to someone that will, i know sometimes people are fobbed off with incorrect information such as them not being available etc.

nsewellMeet the Team    Community Rules    Community Help
Sky Customer & Sky+HD Beta Tester
Oracle
Oracle
Post 5 of 50

I’m afraid you ever you spoke to was talking nonsense. You need to phone them again and make that they accept that you need a hybrid LNB, this is not down to the installer having one in his van.

Stuart R
I am responsible for the content, but not the way it is presented, I have some sight issues
Auto-Correct is my enemy.
If this is your first post - Welcome
Sky Q - full package

imagebam.com
Oracle
Post 6 of 50

@Redmi wrote:

Hello,

Thanks.

Hi @Redmi You need to go back to Sky and make it clear you require a hybrid LNB otherwise you may not get one. If the advisor tries to fob you off again then ask to escalate it to a manager.

If you are not happy with the service you have received from Sky then this shows you how to make a complaint.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/how-to-make-a-complaint

Boom Operator
Post 7 of 50

I spoke to the Home Move team again today and the person informed me that her colleague was correct in saying I would have to discuss with installer as it is not recommended to run Freesat or HD of the same dish as Sky Q.

It would therefore be up to the installer to provide this service, but they cannot add it to the order.

I mentioned that I was informed otherwise on the community forum, but she stood firm and said she was correct.

So which is it and can I rely on the installer turning up with the correct equipment on the day for the necessary installation?

Editor
Post 8 of 50

@Redmi wrote:

I spoke to the Home Move team again today and the person informed me that her colleague was correct in saying I would have to discuss with installer as it is not recommended to run Freesat or HD of the same dish as Sky Q.

Unfortunately this Sky Agent appears to have absolutely no technical knowledge of the Sky Hybrid LNB, and is totally incorrect in suggesting that this Sky product, designed by Sky for just this purpose, is 'not recommended' to be used for the specific purpose that it was designed to provide!

Alas, you do need to have the requirement for your existing Freesat receivers to be maintained, specifically NOTED on your order.

It is not up to the Sky installer, it is not up to the local manager of the Sky installer, it is your fundamental right to have your existing Freesat service maintained after Sky Q is installed.

Unfortunately you will just have to continue to waste a considerable period of your own valuable time, ringing, and ringing the poorly trained Sky Agents untill you eventually manage to contact one that has been correctly trained.

Godfrey.

First Assistant Director
Post 9 of 50

As I have mentioned elsewhere there are two possible reasons for the number of reports like this one, where customers are getting false or conflicting information from Sky call centre staff and installers:

1. Negligently poor training at almost every level of Sky's contact and installation staff
  2. Opposing targets put on these staff to ensure Hybrid LNBs are not installed making it difficult for customers to revert back to Freesat.

SkyQ 2TB 2160P 10Bit - Samsung UE40JU6400
Q Mini 1080p - Samsung LE40A656
All wireless connection, Box Sets Bundle with Sky Cinema and Sky Sports. BT Home Hub 6 with 52Mb fibre.
Boom Operator
Post 10 of 50

Is there anything that I can point these operators to which defiens that I can have the hybrid LNB added to my order?

Also to confirm, the hybrid LNB has two ouptuts for SkyQ and quattro outputs for Freesat - correct?

Oracle
Post 11 of 50

@Redmi

The Q Hybrid is a 6-connection unit, any two of which run to the main Q box, leaving any of the other four as FreeSat feeds.. Sky Q LNBs.jpg

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet), BT ADSL (14Mbs), BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (Android 4.4 KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Android 7.1.2 Nougat), LG 49UJ701V with Yamaha RX-V375, Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
Executive Producer
Post 12 of 50

@Redmi wrote:

Is there anything that I can point these operators to which defiens that I can have the hybrid LNB added to my order?

Also to confirm, the hybrid LNB has two ouptuts for SkyQ and quattro outputs for Freesat - correct?

Look in the FAQs at the start of the list of threads. It is the first one under install.

Editor
Post 13 of 50

Back when I had my Q installed I was told the same to ask the engineer and luckily no problem, then some months later when my son was having his installed I told him to make sure he asks, he forgot🤨 but again asked installer and was fitted, so most engineers are happy to accomadate your requirements when possible, I think now mini’s are restricted to 2 working then it’s more important to have the hybrid lnb.

usually the engineer phones before, so make a point of insisting !!,

2 TVs Hisense 55” Hdr, Hisense 55” 4k, Sky q 2tb and mini box
Oracle
Post 14 of 50

@Leslooking

Minis have always been restricted to one in use with a 1 TB main Q box, two in use with a 2TB main box.  That has been the case from when Q was released.

Editor
Post 15 of 50

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Leslooking

Minis have always been restricted to one in use with a 1 TB main Q box, two in use with a 2TB main box.  That has been the case from when Q was released.

Yep I think I shouldn’t have added the word NOW😂

2 TVs Hisense 55” Hdr, Hisense 55” 4k, Sky q 2tb and mini box
Recommended Threads
an hour ago 12:53 AM
Oracle an hour ago 12:48 AM
Oracle an hour ago 12:41 AM
an hour ago 12:38 AM
Oracle an hour ago 12:33 AM