Discussion topic: Sky Q Ethernet Packet Errors

This message was authored by yoeman This message was authored by: yoeman

Sky Q Ethernet Packet Errors

I have Sky Q 2TB and 3 mini boxes.  All hard wired.  BT internet with Draytek 2927 router via Netgear GS728 fully managed switch.  SkyQ box keeps reporting internet loss but it is conencted and active - have tried direct to router and via the managed switch.  The managed switch has advanced diagnostics, and is reporting packet errors - about 1.5 per second from the SkyQ box.  Changed cables, and connection (direct to router).  I also get packet errors on one of the mini boxes - but NEVER on anything else (we have ~150 devices, and it is only the Sky boxes that produce errors).    Anyone else with managed switches see this sort of issue?  I already had to have one box swapped because it kept freezing.  To clear the connection issue requires a power reset - it makes the service unusable. 

All Replies

This message was authored by Addie15 This message was authored by: Addie15

Re: Sky Q Ethernet Packet Errors

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi there, I’ve escalated your post to our Community Messaging team who will invite you to a private chat shortly and help you with this. 

Just look out for the colourful bubble to start the conversation.

Here's more information on how Community Messaging works - https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147 

This message was authored by JDavies This message was authored by: JDavies

Hi @yoeman 

I have a 2tb main box and 3 mini boxes all connected via Ethernet and 3 unmanned switches. A while back I had an issue with the Ethernet network completely freezing, and the only way to reliably fix it was to turn off one of the mini boxes.. as soon as I did this the network sprang back into life.

This  issue subsequently went away with one of the software upgrades and I'd forgotten about this until I read your post.

This message was authored by JDavies This message was authored by: JDavies

Unmanaged switches, I mean.

This message was authored by cuke This message was authored by: cuke

yoeman
Topic Author
This message was authored by yoeman This message was authored by: yoeman

Thanks - really useful, if disheartening.  I can turn off STP and loop detection, but it looks like sky is flooding the network so maybe create a vlan just for the Q boxes?

Or does sky not play with vlans.  I tried using Wi-Fi instead of wired but that's worse.

This message was authored by Addie15 This message was authored by: Addie15

Posted by a Sky employee

Update-We are closing this session now but if there is anything else in the future we can help you with, please do not hesitate to reach out. Thanks.

This message was authored by 64monks This message was authored by: 64monks

Was there any resolution to this? I have found with SkyQ + Minis (ethernet connected, wifi off) - if any of the SkyQ boxes are on (mini or main SkyQ), internet speedtest runs at ~450Mbs vs turning all the Sky Q boxes off, it runs at advertised ~900Mbs. (Sky is not streaming or downloading). They appear to creating lots of network traffic, maybe looping confusing the switches. I have:

SR203 -> switch -> PC & mini & BT WholeHome & (switch-> Sky Q & 2 x mini & 2 x BT WholeHome

If I move the PC to the SR203 = full speed

If I turn off the Sky Q boxes = full speed

Sky Q and/or Mini = roughly 1/2 speed.

Wifi is off on the SR203. 3 x BT WholeHome (ethernet connected)

This message was authored by skyedward This message was authored by: skyedward

I’m a network newbie and have a terrible time understanding Vlans. I have a SkyQ box and Mini box and would like to put them onto a Vlan with internet connection using a Netgear GS108T so that they can talk to each other with less dropouts. Have tried but with no success. To Tag, Untag, or leave blank is the question; and to leave the rest of the network undisturbed but still connected to the internet and each other. HELP!!

skyedward_0-1707765177369.jpegskyedward_1-1707765212878.jpegskyedward_2-1707765243114.jpeg

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion