Sky Q Box Freezing / Turning Itself Off

Runner
Post 1 of 10

Sky Q Box Freezing / Turning Itself Off

Hi everyone. Hoping someone can help.

Over the last week or so, I've been having major issues with my Sky Q 1TB box.

The box (like most peoples) is left on overnight and throughout the night, it turns itself onto standby mode. The next morning, it's stuck in standby mode and the only fix is to turn it off and back on at the wall. This then sorts the problem - until the next night, when it happens again.

Another thing that's started happening is that t's freezing and sticking way too much. I't started taking at least 15 seconds to switch channel (after pressing in the FULL channel number). Note this does not happen all the time and just some times.

Today, I was watching Netflix via my Sky Box and suddenly it just disconnected from my TV. Going through all the source channels, it wasn't picking up that the box was switched on. At this time, the box was showing a green light, flashing Q, but was unresponsive to the remote. Again, I had to turn it on and off at the wall.

I've tried to update the software version, but nothing happens. Also, according to other posts on this forum, I'm on the latest version, so there's nothing to update to.

Any ideas on what could be the problem?

Thanks

All Replies
Executive Producer
Post 2 of 10

Re: Sky Q Box Freezing / Turning Itself Off

@K3LLi3 wrote:

The box (like most peoples) is left on overnight and throughout the night, it turns itself onto standby mode. The next morning, it's stuck in standby mode and the only fix is to turn it off and back on at the wall. This then sorts the problem - until the next night, when it happens again.

Another thing that's started happening is that t's freezing and sticking way too much. I't started taking at least 15 seconds to switch channel (after pressing in the FULL channel number). Note this does not happen all the time and just some times.

Today, I was watching Netflix via my Sky Box and suddenly it just disconnected from my TV. Going through all the source channels, it wasn't picking up that the box was switched on. At this time, the box was showing a green light, flashing Q, but was unresponsive to the remote. Again, I had to turn it on and off at the wall.

I've tried to update the software version, but nothing happens. Also, according to other posts on this forum, I'm on the latest version, so there's nothing to update to.

Thanks

Have you got it on eco mode?

BT Ultra Infinity. Apple Time Capsule. Sky Q 2TB watching UHD through a LG OLED55B7 and listening through a soundbox. Multiroom with 2 miniboxes
Runner
Post 3 of 10

The exact same thing happened  to me today for the first time, Sky q 1tb, Sky just randomly disconnected from my LG B8 TV while watching itv, and the sky remote would not do anything! The actual Sky box was still  powered on with a solid green light but it just lost a signal to my tv which is strange,  it just completely froze up and disconnected from my TV like nothing was on that hdmi input. I had to power off from mains to get it working again.

The last of couple of days I have since some bugs, like waking up one day turning on Sky q and being presented with a plain blue screen.

Also since the last update Sky q has become  slower when navigating  the interface.

My Sky q is is active mode but I’ve had the option for the last 2 years with no problems.

Oracle
Post 4 of 10

@NikG wrote:

The exact same thing happened  to me today for the first time, Sky q 1tb, Sky just randomly disconnected from my LG B8 TV while watching itv, and the sky remote would not do anything! The actual Sky box was still  powered on with a solid green light but it just lost a signal to my tv which is strange,  it just completely froze up and disconnected from my TV like nothing was on that hdmi input. I had to power off from mains to get it working again.

The last of couple of days I have since some bugs, like waking up one day turning on Sky q and being presented with a plain blue screen.

Also since the last update Sky q has become  slower when navigating  the interface.

My Sky q is is active mode but I’ve had the option for the last 2 years with no problems.

@NikG the problem you had today was a problem at Sky's end quite a lot of us had exactly the same problem

I may have an Oracle badge but i'm still just a customer

imagebam.com

imagebam.com

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, Sky Q Hub, all connected by wifi
Sky Boxset, multiscreen/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
Sky Fibre Unlimited, LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV
Runner
Post 5 of 10

Ah I see thanks for that, Sky should really send out an automated email when a problem occurs on their end.

Sky q  does feel like it has become quite buggy since the last update the navigation feels sluggish when it used to be really quick and snappy.

Camera Operator
Post 6 of 10

@NikG wrote:

Ah I see thanks for that, Sky should really send out an automated email when a problem occurs on their end.

Sky q  does feel like it has become quite buggy since the last update the navigation feels sluggish when it used to be really quick and snappy.

Sky have made an annoucement at the top of the forum page

Runner
Post 7 of 10

Thanks @Laing1 - that explains what happened yesterday.

Regarding the other matter, I've been in touch with Sky directly and they're sending an engineer out on Saturday morning. Also just found out that the Sky Q equipment is always covered as we don't actually own the box. So that's a bonus if it needs replacing! Cat Very Happy

Boom Operator
Post 8 of 10

@K3LLi3 wrote:

Thanks

My Sky Q box freezes like this up to 4  or 5 times a day. 

I'm on my 4th replacement box and still experiencing the issue. 

I believe there must be a general issue with these boxes but Sky won't confirm this. 

They are treated it as an individual issue and the only solution seems to be to switch to a Sky+ box which isn't ideal as I'll need wiring run to my bedroom for multiroom. 

Let me know how you get on or if you find any information about the issue, 

Thanks,

D

Sky Q 2TB V1 -- SHARP Aquos LC-50UI7325 4K UHD TV- 1 Mini
Executive Producer
Post 9 of 10

@Dualtach wrote:

@K3LLi3 wrote:

Thanks

My Sky Q box freezes like this up to 4  or 5 times a day. 

I'm on my 4th replacement box and still experiencing the issue. 

I believe there must be a general issue with these boxes but Sky won't confirm this. 

They are treated it as an individual issue and the only solution seems to be to switch to a Sky+ box which isn't ideal as I'll need wiring run to my bedroom for multiroom. 

Let me know how you get on or if you find any information about the issue, 

Thanks,

D

What I don’t get is that 4 boxes can’t  all be faulty. Surely it’s got to be compatibility with your TV or audio equipment 

BT Ultra Infinity. Apple Time Capsule. Sky Q 2TB watching UHD through a LG OLED55B7 and listening through a soundbox. Multiroom with 2 miniboxes
Boom Operator
Post 10 of 10

The engineer advised it could be something like that but didn't really explain how that could affect the box.

It's a Sharp Aquos.

However, I tried  it with another TV and the same issue occurred.

I even tried bring my mini box down and had the TV connected to that and had the main box disconnected from the TV altogether and it still happened. 

Sky Q 2TB V1 -- SHARP Aquos LC-50UI7325 4K UHD TV- 1 Mini
Recommended Threads
23 minutes ago 12:53 AM
Oracle 28 minutes ago 12:48 AM
Oracle 35 minutes ago 12:41 AM
38 minutes ago 12:38 AM
Oracle 43 minutes ago 12:33 AM