Sky Q Boosters - vertical install OK?

Researcher
Post 1 of 14

Sky Q Boosters - vertical install OK?

Hi - after a really bad start installing a new 2TB sky q box plus 2 mini's and 2 boosters (left without minis connecting for 4 weeks as engineer configured to wrong card....) everything seems to b eup and running OK. We have an old property with thick snadstone walls and needed 2 boosters to get signal from main box to one of the minis. But the boosters are sitting on a hall table and dining room window ledge - can they be mounted vertically on the wall (very close to current position) so they are out of the way.  I'm mainly concerned with the internal antenna alignments and if moving from horizontal to vertical will be detrimental to the signal strength / quality?  There are suitable brackets available on ebay for around £6.  Thanks!

All Replies
Sound Supervisor
Post 2 of 14

Re: Sky Q Boosters - vertical install OK?

Yes they can, I have 2 boosters and 1 mini positioned that way  

24D8CAB7-695E-43EF-9D25-407A350C1A13.jpeg

Oracle
Post 3 of 14

You have to remember that the wifi aerials in the booster are designed to work horizontally and they are directional so do not be surprised if the wifi signal strength is different.

==========================

Oracles are customers and people too.
Sound Supervisor
Post 4 of 14

@Chrisee wrote:

You have to remember that the wifi aerials in the booster are designed to work horizontally and they are directional so do not be surprised if the wifi signal strength is different.

Mine was originally placed on the floor where it is and I just hated seeing it there, it has been where it is now for nearly a year, never checked signal strength so wouldn’t know a before or after, never had any major issues with pictures from my minis, so I’m assuming it’s fine?

Researcher
Post 5 of 14

That's what I was wondering about - I hoped thay had a 3d type arrangement like some cards and higher end routers do, so there are 3 areials in different planes, then horizontal of vertical wouldn't really matter, but I guess not.  Another question or two then, with specific regard to the Q boosters. The boosters don't provide connectivity for any other wifi device do they, just link between boosters and Q minis and the main Q box (i.e. so you wouldn't connect a laptop or phone directly to a booster, just to the Q minis or main box? And do the boosters carry 2.4 and 5 ghz signals? I'd heard that connecting over 2.4 for TV gives a stronger signal but slower / less bandwidth?

Oracle
Post 6 of 14

Hi @wutty you can only use the boosters as a wifi hotspot for other devices if you are a Sky broadband customer and have a Sky Q hub as then they share the same SSID and password as the hub. They have dual band wifi but the Q mesh tends to use the 5GHz band for the communication between Q boxes.

The lower the frequency the further it will spread but the less data can be carried so the 2.4GHz band cannot carry as much data as the 5GHz band but spreads further but that is why it is much more prone to interference from neighbour's networks.

Researcher
Post 7 of 14

Great knowledge thanks. Yes, I sold my soul to Sky at Christmas! - move my broadband from BT and upgraded the 'old sky' multi room to Q , so I've got all the latest Sky kit installed. One main2TB Q box, 2 mini's, 2 boosters.  As yet don't have 4k TV's just HD so bandwidth should be OK .... I hope.  If I get 4k it will be on the main box anyway, not a mini.  Main issue, as mentioned, is 2 feet thick sandstone walls between the main box and one of the minis.  The Sky engineer installed 2 boosters (so it goes Main Q box - booster - booster - Mini) The other mini is in the roon above the main box so get a signal from it OK. I'm assuming the boosters also link between the Sky hub and main box?  I've gone and purchase 2 brackets to get the boosters onto the wall (higher is good too I think ?)  so I'll just have to 'suck it and see'. 

Oracle
Post 8 of 14

@wutty

UHD can only be on the television attached to the 2TB main Q box: Mini boxes are not capable of UHD video output, no matter how much bandwidth they are connected to.

Sky Q from April 2016 (Silver & 1 Mini, both over ethernet), BT ADSL (14Mbs), BT Home Hub 6 (ethernet), Lenovo Tab 2 A7 (Android 4.4 KitKat), Wileyfox Swift (Android 7.1.2 Nougat), LG 49UJ701V with Yamaha RX-V375, Toshiba 32L6353, Samsung UE22F5400
Researcher
Post 9 of 14

yes, of course, thanks!

Oracle
Post 10 of 14

@wutty honestly powerline is a far better solution in a house with thick walls.

Production Supervisor
Post 11 of 14

@Chrisee wrote:

@wutty honestly powerline is a far better solution in a house with thick walls.

@Chrisee Posting at 5.23am???? What on earth is waking you up at that time of the morning???

On seconds thoughts perhaps we shouldn’t knowSmiley Wink

Researcher
Post 12 of 14

@Chriseenormally I'd agree, but this is an old place which has been extended at least twice - as a result there are different mains circuits; 'iffy' sockets and who knows what the wiring is like that you don't know about!  I had some powerline kit at my previous house, but it didn't work here! But everything (so far) is holding together with the Sky Wi Fi.  For the last couple of years I've managed with BT and for the last 18 months had a 3 disk Whole Home which worked OK (but of course that didn't carry TV streamed between Sky Q mini boxes, just connectivity for phone and PCs.

Oracle
Post 13 of 14

@Roger+Peters not being kept up but woken up, anybody in the market for a high mileage moggie with insomnia? Smiley Frustrated

Production Supervisor
Post 14 of 14

@Chrisee wrote:

@Roger+Peters not being kept up but woken up, anybody in the market for a high mileage moggie with insomnia? Smiley Frustrated

@Chrisee Record and force the moggie to watch some news broadcasts on Brexit, any daytime TV programs or anything with Piers Morgan in it just before bedtime. That’ll put anyone into a trance for 12 hours.Smiley Very Happy

Recommended Threads
43 minutes ago 12:53 AM
Oracle 48 minutes ago 12:48 AM
Oracle 55 minutes ago 12:41 AM
57 minutes ago 12:38 AM
Oracle an hour ago 12:33 AM