Sky Q 2tb box keeps turning off

Camera Assistant
Post 31 of 49

Re: Sky Q 2tb box keeps turning off

@skinner1965 wrote:

@Pyramid5779 wrote:

@Laing1 wrote:

@skinner1965 wrote:

Anyone else ever seen their Sky Q box tell you at any time of the day that it’s going to shutdown if you don’t press a button? 

@skinner1965 If the box is set to Eco or Active mode  then this is correct as if there is no activity ie Channel changing etc the box will switch off but does display a message. When set to none you do not get this message and the box should not shut down. I'm not sure of the set time of inactivity it's somewhere between 2 and 4 hours.

I have to leave our main box on none as mother-in-law lives with us and tends to put the TV on when she gets up leaves it on BBC1 she complained the box was switching off πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Thanks for verifiying it does happen.  So many armchair "experts" on here.  And so belittling in their responses.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/using-the-standby-settings

Nothing about what you are describing 

(still not convinced)

Best wishes

Arm chair expert

Some people can never admit they are wrong....(and no need to apologise).Smiley Wink

Sky Q 2TB, LG OLED65G6V, Logitech z906 5.1, Logitech Harmony Elite, Panasonic DMP-UB900.
Camera Assistant
Post 32 of 49

@GordonTGopher wrote:

Walked into sitting room at 2pm today and eldest had left TV on and Q box on pause and message from Q box at top of screen saying it was about to go into standby due to inactivity.

Yes message was from Q box not TV

Careful,  you are leaving yourself open to belittling comments from the armchair "experts".Smiley Very Happy

It seems it does this on Active and Eco modes after a few hours of inactivity.

Sky Q 2TB, LG OLED65G6V, Logitech z906 5.1, Logitech Harmony Elite, Panasonic DMP-UB900.
First Assistant Director
Post 33 of 49

Well my box is in eco mode and I’ve watched crickets test matches all day and I’ve never seen it but I’ll look harder next time 

Mine just goes to sleep between 2:30 and 6am as in the Sky advice on eco mode 

BT Ultra Infinity. Apple Time Capsule. Sky Q 2TB watching UHD through a LG OLED55B7 and listening through a soundbox. Multiroom with 2 miniboxes
Director of Photography
Post 34 of 49

I suspect it is a bug in 7.1 release as never seen it before on a box set to ECO and saw it first hand today

Director of Photography
Post 35 of 49

@GordonTGopher wrote:

I suspect it is a bug in 7.1 release as never seen it before on a box set to ECO and saw it first hand today

So what I suspect here is that @Pyramid5779  has released a virus that is beginning to spread, will go viral and infect us all given time.  We're all doomed Mr Mainwaring! Smiley Very Happy

I wonder if like discovering a new species (or a new bug) that hasn't ever been heard of before it gets named after the finder.  Something along the lines of "The 5779 Effect"  or "Pyramid Syndrome".  Mate you may forever be recognised, your life changed forever never to be the same again.  Hob nobbing with the rich and famous.  Awarded a Nobel Prize for persisting against all odds, batting aside doubters and detractors alike in true Indiana Jones style to prove your discovery to be genuine.  Knighted by the Queen of all Engerland herself and held aloft by her subjects as a symbol of virtue and all that is good in mankind.  Forever to bestride this planet like a colossus.  A man among men. A hero, a legend in his own lifetime.  Armchair 'experts' will forever weep at their ineptitude and failure to recognise your genius and determination to save us all from certain stupidity whilst staring blankly at our TV wondering what is happening because.................................this cannot be. It is not possible. Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

It's quite sad now that a few minutes of laxity that compelled me compose the above madness now has me writing a disclaimer to assure any and all that the above is meant in a good humoured manner and detracts or belittles nobody.  It is not 'sarcastic' and is designed to be viewed in a very light hearted manner. Even by overly precious "armchair experts"  The END  Smiley Very Happy

Editor
Post 36 of 49

The mini in my workshop, which runs in Eco mode, has always provided an on screen warning to press any button to prevent it going into standby, after around 3 hours of remote control inactivity.

Godfrey.

Camera Assistant
Post 37 of 49

Aah yes, any award would be nice.  But I must decline and instead offer it to Sky for designing an Eco Mode that should do one thing but instead does another tooSmiley Happy

Camera Assistant
Post 38 of 49

@Godfrey wrote:

The mini in my workshop, which runs in Eco mode, has always provided an on screen warning to press any button to prevent it going into standby, after around 3 hours of remote control inactivity.

Godfrey.

Yes, I first saw the warning at least a year ago.

Producer
Post 39 of 49

@Pyramid5779 wrote:

But I must decline and instead offer it to Sky for designing an Eco Mode that should do one thing but instead does another tooSmiley Happy

Power mode settings are INCREMENTAL.  ECO is in addition to ACTIVE, not instead of.  It’s always been like that, ECO just adds the overnight low power mode on top of the ACTIVE mode which puts the box into standby mode after 3 hours and a warning message displayed.

Director of Photography
Post 40 of 49

Well I'll be blowed if this hasn't happened to me just yesterday!!  A message all the way across the top of my screen whilst watching cricket to inform me my box will turn off due to inactivity.  To cancel this action press a button on the RC.  I did this and the action was indeed cancelled.  I then went into the settings section of the Q box menu and discovered that standby setting was set to ACTIVE!  I've never set it to active and have made no changes to any settings of any sort so unlikely I've made a mistake somewhere.  Set back to NONE as has always been the case.

Basically it appears the box decided of it's own accord to change my standby setting which seems odd.  The last FW update came in last week so not down to that and no power cut here as the usual indicators such as oven and microwave clock flashing weren't present.   I think my box might be developing a mind of it's own!  I shall have to start calling it HAL  Smiley LOL

Production Supervisor
Post 41 of 49

@Morgan+McDonnell wrote:

@GordonTGopher wrote:

So what I suspect here is that @Pyramid5779  has released a virus that is beginning to spread, will go viral and infect us all given time.  We're all doomed Mr Mainwaring! Smiley Very Happy

I wonder if like discovering a new species (or a new bug) that hasn't ever been heard of before it gets named after the finder.  Something along the lines of "The 5779 Effect"  or "Pyramid Syndrome".  Mate you may forever be recognised, your life changed forever never to be the same again.  Hob nobbing with the rich and famous.  Awarded a Nobel Prize for persisting against all odds, batting aside doubters and detractors alike in true Indiana Jones style to prove your discovery to be genuine.  Knighted by the Queen of all Engerland herself and held aloft by her subjects as a symbol of virtue and all that is good in mankind.  Forever to bestride this planet like a colossus.  A man among men. A hero, a legend in his own lifetime.  Armchair 'experts' will forever weep at their ineptitude and failure to recognise your genius and determination to save us all from certain stupidity whilst staring blankly at our TV wondering what is happening because.................................this cannot be. It is not possible. Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

It's quite sad now that a few minutes of laxity that compelled me compose the above madness now has me writing a disclaimer to assure any and all that the above is meant in a good humoured manner and detracts or belittles nobody.  It is not 'sarcastic' and is designed to be viewed in a very light hearted manner. Even by overly precious "armchair experts"  The END  Smiley Very Happy

It is what it is! Smiley Wink

Director of Photography
Post 42 of 49

@Quoman7 wrote:

@Morgan+McDonnell wrote:

@GordonTGopher wrote:

Careful there!  Not all share the same sense of humour you know Smiley Very Happy

Production Supervisor
Post 43 of 49

@Morgan+McDonnell wrote:

@Quoman7 wrote:

@Morgan+McDonnell wrote:

@GordonTGopher wrote:

Careful there!  Not all share the same sense of humour you know Smiley Very Happy

C'est la vie Smiley Happy

Community Manager
Post 44 of 49

We've had the auto standby thing for a while.

• Eco - goes into standby if it's been inactive for 4 hours and between the hours of 2:30am - 5:45am.
  • Active - goes into standby if it's been inactive for 4 hours during the day and 2 hours at night (after 23:00 I do believe).

Thanks,

Kei
Community Manager

Take a look at the latest exclusive Sky customer offers
Director of Photography
Post 45 of 49

@Kei+M wrote:

We've had the auto standby thing for a while.

• Eco - goes into standby if it's been inactive for 4 hours and between the hours of 2:30am - 5:45am.
  • Active - goes into standby if it's been inactive for 4 hours during the day and 2 hours at night (after 23:00 I do believe).

Thanks,

@Kei+M  That is all very well understood.  My point is that my Q box has always been set to NONE.  It appears it decided of it's own volition to change the setting to ACTIVE.   Basically the box changed from NONE to ACTIVE without any input from me.

Recommended Threads
11-04-2018 05:39 PM
27-04-2018 01:07 PM
18-03-2018 02:25 PM
Zoeelouisee 3 weeks ago 03:34 PM
02-04-2018 11:08 PM