Discussion topic: Sky Q 1TB box which isn't UHD

This message was authored by liz11112 This message was authored by: liz11112

Sky Q 1TB box which isn't UHD

Hi, 

Sky sent me a Sky Q 1TB box which they told me was UHD. After going through every setting on Sky and researching and trying settings on my TV. I checked the hardware version of my box. As it turns out it isn't a UHD box. I spoke to them on the phone before I realised and they told me it was UHD. It definitely isn't. There's no 2160 option and no UHD options. Has anyone had an experience where they've been sent the wrong box?

All Replies

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

Re: Sky Q 1TB box which isn't UHD

@liz11112 

It happens. Several people on here have had the same thing happen.

Sky's hardware stock control is pretty poor & many staff members have little concept if the difference between boxes. 

liz11112
Topic Author

Thanks for letting me know. I've spent so long today trying to get it to work.

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@liz11112It often happens if people get a special offer "upgrade" if it is an exchange because the box was faulty Sky should provide a like for like replacement but not a UHD one if you don't already have one, to upgrade from non UHD to UHD, surprise surprise will cost you.

This message was authored by ToastedRoast+YT This message was authored by: ToastedRoast+YT

Same I thought I was getting uhd enabled box in fact I thought skyq was all ready for uhd.

But apart from that the box itself i have is a massive improvement from sky+ although mine is only a single feed as I live in a flat with a communal dish.

Apps work fine too. 

If I could request an app I would like to see fite tv added.

I do have it built in to my Phillips tv but it struggles and its a nuisance having to mirror screen to xbox.

Pretty sure the Q box would be able to run it well.

Bring Back Rapture TV
liz11112
Topic Author

So an update. I received my SkyQ 1TB UHD box set it up with my Samsung Q80B, the tv detected the signal set it to 2160p at 10bit. Not a happy system.

UHD channels glitch and get squares of bright colours flashing up. The sky box then locks up so the remote is useless. Tried it in 8 bit. Same problem. Tried turning off 5ghz and 2.4ghz WiFi and hard wiring the box to a router. Same problem.

I've just reverted back to 1080p for now as that keeps it stable.

I find Sky so infuriating. I've tried a different HDMI Cable. Different ports on the TV. The limited TV settings I could find on the Samsung. Nothing seems to work. my WiFi connection is 150mbps. Has anyone faced this problem?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion