Discussion topic: Sky HDR

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

Re: Sky HDR

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Rhonny wrote:

@bob1234

It is the end of days. This forum is about to witness a pandemic all of its own. I may need to isolate from it for 14 days once HDR content launches.

I'm already feeling feverish..! 

@Rhonny think we may need to break out some hard hats. Fortunately im back at work so wont be arount much until evening

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by Jamie+Simms This message was authored by: Jamie+Simms

Well I knew that once talk was commenced again on this thread that it would only be a small amount of time before someone shared the internal briefing.

There is a good amount of HDR content ready to go and is already loaded onto the on demand servers and SOME Premier league football will also be in HDR too when it starts again.

This message was authored by Rhonny This message was authored by: Rhonny

@Jamie+Simms

Fantastic! Each of those empty football stadium seats will be in perfect UHD, at 1500 nits HDR. 

This message was authored by Aiden. This message was authored by: Aiden.

Been waiting for this, but have a V1 Silver Q box. 

I wonder how I will be upgrade to a compatible box?

Subscriber since 1992, and ongoing.......

@Aiden.

You won't. Sky have said they're not replacing old boxes at this stage. 

@Rhonny

Yep,, saw that, but I wonder is it due to Covid, equipment availability, or some other reason?

@Aiden.

It's for 'it will cost us an absolute fortune to replace one million v1 boxes' reasons. 

This message was authored by rscott This message was authored by: rscott

There's relatively little HDR content due next week and I'd think Sky will have a box upgrade programme in place before they add too much more.

Swapping boxes is something most people would be able to do themselves, possibly with an engineer on the other end of the phone. They're already doing that for some faults.

@Rhonny 

Bummer for me being an early Q adopter then and paying through the nose for Silver and 4 minis in month one then. 😳

@Aiden.

I'm not too worried about not seeing a plant documentary in HDR next week to be honest. I'm more than happy to wait until there is content I want to watch (e.g. Premier league) in HDR, by which point Sky will have announced their plans to get our old boxes replaced. I have plenty of HDR content on Netflix and Amazon Prime to keep me going. 

@Rhonny 
Yep same here, I'm just being curious. I doubt we will be excluded forever. 

@Aiden.

Correct. They won't want an uneven playing field with some able to get HDR and some not. It's not in their interests. It'll just take time. And months of tolerating impatient entitled forum whingers. 

This message was authored by Jamie+Simms This message was authored by: Jamie+Simms

RScott- There is a reasonable amount of HDR content available and loaded most of it is Sky original content along with some nature from Nat Geo and Discovery

With regards to box swaps it was hoped that there would be enough supplies of equipment to be able to launch with a special offer for V1 users but Covid19 has stopped that however it will be happening later in the summer.

It will be interesting to see how many V1s start failing now compared to previously!

This message was authored by Val+Dawson This message was authored by: Val+Dawson

I think I can already see a wisp of smoke from my box 😊

This message was authored by Paulonthetelly This message was authored by: Paulonthetelly

If the Disney debacle is anything to go by. No v1 upgrade announcement anytime soon, it's to attract new customer base. They are not interested in existing customer base. One things for sure, lots of subscribers have and are leaving Sky or downgrading subscriptions because of COVID- 19 and then this happens. Whether I want to watch or not, I am penalised. Heads should roll. 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion